Options

EPG made accountable to ASA ?

barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
Forum Member
✭✭
Given that the EPG details are written by mostly commercial companies to entice us to watch their TV programmes, should these not be made subject to Advertsing Standards Authority rules eg. 'legal, decent, honest and truthful' (though Im not sure that applies at the ASA anymore either).

There are examples every day and night but one tonight is:
Sky News 21:00-21:30 Decision Time "Fast election results and razor-sharp analysis from Sky presenters across the UK"

Given this programme is presumably live and goes out at least 30 minutes before the poll even closes never mind counted, there will no election results on which to perform any analysis whether razor-shape or blunt.

Comments

• Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take your point, but do we really need more regulations? And I hope that most people would be able to work out its a generic EPG description
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow someone lost their election.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barclay55 wrote: »
    Given that the EPG details are written by mostly commercial companies to entice us to watch their TV programmes, should these not be made subject to Advertsing Standards Authority rules eg. 'legal, decent, honest and truthful' (though Im not sure that applies at the ASA anymore either).

There are examples every day and night but one tonight is:
    Sky News 21:00-21:30 Decision Time "Fast election results and razor-sharp analysis from Sky presenters across the UK"

Given this programme is presumably live and goes out at least 30 minutes before the poll even closes never mind counted, there will no election results on which to perform any analysis whether razor-shape or blunt.

True, it's a disgrace the way they misrepresent things. The other night, BBC One showed a programme called 'Eastenders' which purported to chronicle the lives of people living in East London. Not only did the EPG neglect to tell us that these 'characters' were, in fact, wholly fictional; it failed to mention that the scenes were not shot in East London at all - but in Elstree, Hertfordshire!
  • Options
    strangerstillstrangerstill Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    One rule: programmes to start/end on time. Crises excepted.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody heck. OP has a lot of time on his hands lol
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I take your point, but do we really need more regulations? And I hope that most people would be able to work out its a generic EPG description

The EPG obviously just has a touch of election dysfunction.