The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• da33431da33431 Posts: 48,747
    Forum Member
    As long as we have televoting we'll have diaspora votes from the UK. Nothing can be done apart from the juries overriding it.

I think given the UK's once again similar televote to last year that our 12 points to Sweden was pretty fair.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stop watching Serbia. Where did that come from? I didn't pay any attention to it before the contest but my god what an entry! And so unSerbian! I don't think I've ever seen a Eurovision audience go as mental as they did when the beat dropped.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Well there's about 30000 Lithuanians and 650000 poles in the UK according to records.

It's mad that the other 65 million people can't eliminate the diaspora really lol.

Perhaps recently the Greeks just haven't liked their own entry. Look at the Irish televote. We were 11th. Or the Aussie one. Our song was so shocking I don't think even Brits would vote for it

They probably vote a lot for their country whilst all our votes(I'm guessing most just phone for one or two) are spread out amongst all 27 songs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Yay! Such a polished performance I thought - whereas Monika's vocals were weak ..

Didn't we read somewhere about the judges criteria not including vocal ability?

Excellent news TerryP! You'll be so hyped up come next May, we'll make sure of that ;)

Just watching back again - Spain was a bit odd. My telly feed went a bit wobbly at the start, I think I saw that da33431 had the same problem - anyone else?

I liked that bit where she swept her hands over the audience and the lights followed her - nice touch. And those boots! Oh my, gotta get me some of them..

Have we heard any feedback from Latvia? They must be stoked, but I've seen nothing on my FB about it

Yup my tele froze then went juddery for about 10secs at the start
    Forum Member
    But diaspora makes voting from certain countries inevitable. Every year our spokesperson would have to read 12 points Poland/Lithuania (soon to be Romania, Turkey).

Given the message contained in the Romanian song their diaspora seemed pretty disinterested in it!

And yes Anne, the first few secs of Spain went wobbly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    I can't stop watching Serbia. Where did that come from? I didn't pay any attention to it before the contest but my god what an entry! And so unSerbian! I don't think I've ever seen a Eurovision audience go as mental as they did when the beat dropped.

We had people round and every single person was up dancing to both Serbia and Israel(yes a good amount of alcohol had been consumed).
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »

I thought it was so good in the NF's as well - she did a ripping off the dress gimmick, but I thought the Vienna performance was even better. I know a lot of people on here didn't like the English lyrics, but they were simple and gave out a great message that was easy to understand for those who English is not their first language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKT4BwMq3h8

Graham Norton saying that she was the next Conchita was a bit much though!
    Forum Member
    We had people round and every single person was up dancing to both Serbia and Israel(yes a good amount of alcohol had been consumed).

Someone danced to the whole of Montenegro here, and it wasn't even me! :o
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One little thing that niggled me from last night was the way they revealed Sweden as the winner. I don't mean doing it before the voting is over as it's not new and I actually feel it's a nice touch.

But last night it looked like they hadn't even realised and was about to go to the next country until one of them stopped the other and then they just stuttered out an almost exact replica of what last years hosts said, all about having done the maths and Sweden can't be caught. It all seemed so false and unnatural.

Although I am happy both the presenters and Conchita in the greenroom told the crowd to stop booing Polina, really last year the hosts should have done that rather than giggling about it like naughty school girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Logic still climbing in iTunes. Up to 19, Mans still at 4. Hope both can stay about for a while and go top 40 next week. (Will be tough with the new streaming concept which willbe pretty much nil for the euro songs)

Polina also still top 40:)
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So which songs do you like much more after last night (and semis)? Which a lot less?

More - Serbia, Israel, Latvia, Sweden, Montenegro, Italy!!
    Less - Albania, Azerbaijan, Slovenia,
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But diaspora makes voting from certain countries inevitable. Every year our spokesperson would have to read 12 points Poland/Lithuania (soon to be Romania, Turkey).

Oh the humanity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    Someone danced to the whole of Montenegro here, and it wasn't even me! :o

Haha we had a few doing the spinny thing with Knez. Montenegro was definitely my biggest grower throughout the week
    Forum Member
    Voting was fascinating listening to the crowd with their mix of shock and humour when Russia stopped getting the 8, 10 or 12, and then going wild in anticipation for Sweden. Quite an atmosphere!
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The jury results of F.Y.R. Macedonia and Montenegro for the Grand Final have been excluded after consultation of PwC, the contest's independent voting observer, and upon the decision of the Executive Supervisor and the Chairman of the Reference Group.

Cheating ?

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=full_voting_results_revealed_by_the_ebu
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    As long as we have televoting we'll have diaspora votes from the UK. Nothing can be done apart from the juries overriding it.

I think given the UK's once again similar televote to last year that our 12 points to Sweden was pretty fair.

Christer couldn't have said it better...:p
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really is like 2012 all over again, Sweden winning, Russia second and a non-English song in third.

Oh....and the UK entry being something thms thinks will win by a landslide. :D
    Forum Member
    Haha we had a few doing the spinny thing with Knez. Montenegro was definitely my biggest grower throughout the week

I loved the way both Balkan entries started slow and went banger at the end. Serbia in a huge Euro diva way and Montenegro in a more traditional style.

They both really made the contest for me.

Only thing I would have liked more would have been for Serbia and Israel to be in different halves of the draw but I think the producers did a decent job considering the task they had (although I have a lot of sympathy for Slovenia and France's position).
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same TV problems with Spain
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »
    Christer couldn't have said it better...:p

I was surprised Belgium only came 8th in the UK televote yet it's 2nd on iTunes :confused:
    Forum Member
    It really is like 2012 all over again, Sweden winning, Russia second and a non-English song in third.

Oh....and the UK entry being something thms thinks will win by a landslide. :D

See you in Denmark 2017 then :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voting was fascinating listening to the crowd with their mix of shock and humour when Russia stopped getting the 8, 10 or 12, and then going wild in anticipation for Sweden. Quite an atmosphere!

I loved the shock when greece and Cyprus gave each other 10 and 8:D

When was the last time they didn't exchange 12's?
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised Belgium only came 8th in the UK televote yet it's 2nd on iTunes :confused:

La La Love syndrome I reckon ...

Will always remember in 2012 when Sweden gave Cyprus 12 and I thought "Where the hell did that come from?"
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the shock when greece and Cyprus gave each other 10 and 8:D

When was the last time they didn't exchange 12's?

Not sure it ever happened. I'm sure Cyprus to Greece was an average of 12

Edit: from wiki
    Cyprus is famous for always exchanging 12 points with Greece in the Semi Final and Final, though there have been exceptions. The last time Cyprus gave Greece less than 12 points was in 1996 (10 points), while the last time Greece gave Cyprus less than 12 points was in 1995 (8 points). Since the advent of televoting in 1998, the two countries have consistently given each other the maximum 12 points until the 2015 Contest, where neither country gave their 12 to the other.
    Forum Member
    Who knew Eurovision was big in the United Arab Emirates?? :confused:

http://esctracker.com
This discussion has been closed.