Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality

MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know there are many threads regarding Coronation Street - including detailed analysis of the episodes and characters - but I REALLY need to start and maintain this thread!

I'm a long-time fan - 49 years and counting! - and, although its recent quality has left me disappointed, can't see me ever abandoning Corry.

So, I must use this thread to record the increasing instances of poor production, lazy writing and lack of continuity - just to calm myself down :cool:

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday, 2nd Nov '09 ...

The builder manages to remove half of Dev's roof while the shop is open - with no-one mentioning it to Dev, he not hearing anything or seeing a ladder propped against the front of the shop.

Gail borrows some gear from Bill who must be a 10/12 - because they were a perfect fit for her - and she also appears to have an instant command over a power sander!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down, dear, it's only television.They're not real people (although it's true viewers used to ring Granada and try and book rooms for private functions at the Rovers:D:D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "it's only TV" response came quicker than I expected!

We're not among those who think the soaps are real - just see no reason for a lack of reality in their production.

(I can remember a baddie from Brookside being beaten up for treating a favourite character badly!!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Meldrewman has a point. I had exactly the same thought when I watched corry last night. We must expect some sort of realism in our soaps.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Two things which I always annoyingly notice :

The toilets in the Rovers appear to lead directly into the Barlow's house, there just isn't room between the pub and the house to accommodate the toilets.

Most annoying/distracting for me, the Coronation Street valet parking service. There's never a car parked on the street, even at night, yet if the script calls for a character to get into their car they always walk out of their house and the car's parked right outside their house. Almost every family seem to have a car when needed, but where do they disappear to the rest of the time?! Rosie Webster doesn't seem to have even noticed that her pride and joy sports car has been missing for weeks, whereas it was always parked outside when it was part of her storyline. And where does Maria's sports car go, or the Webster's car, the Barlow's, the Peacock's (they have a car and van - sometimes).
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    ...and how quickly has Joe managed to do that boat up!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Two things which I always annoyingly notice :

The toilets in the Rovers appear to lead directly into the Barlow's house, there just isn't room between the pub and the house to accommodate the toilets.

Most annoying/distracting for me, the Coronation Street valet parking service.

Oldies but goodies!!!

I thought I'd start from the current week - or I'd be writing for hours :eek:

The car issue is a cracker! My only theory is that, just once (when the script dictated) there was a view through the Websters' garage to an ENORMOUS plot of land behind it - perhaps that's where the valet service is operated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »

;) You read my mind - I just said to Mrs Meldrewman that we can expect a showroom standard craft any day now. :D
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They park in the car park behind the rovers i mean granada tv car park lol, they need a bigger set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    ;) You read my mind - I just said to Mrs Meldrewman that we can expect a showroom standard craft any day now. :D

and now, watching last night's 2nd prog - why is Joe fitting kitchens when he can do work like that - sanded, multiple coats, showroom shine - all in a few hours on a busy, dusty street!
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    The point about the cars is a good one. I never realised that before.

I think the reason they never park cars on the set regularly is because it'd make the set look tiny (as it's meant to be quite small in real life).
  • Options
    Maidenfan666Maidenfan666 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Michelle apparently no longer having a biological son?
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »

He's been making full use of the extra daylight at this time of year!;)
    I agree though, it was a disintegrating wreck a fortnight ago and now it's ready for Cowes Boat week.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "it's only TV" response came quicker than I expected!

We're not among those who think the soaps are real - just see no reason for a lack of reality in their production.

(I can remember a baddie from Brookside being beaten up for treating a favourite character badly!!!)

Drama is ''an exciting series of events'' according to the Oxford English Dictionary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Drama is ''an exciting series of events'' according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

... so, interesting that "Soaps" are now repackaged as "Continuing Dramas" at a time when their distance from the OED definition of drama is further than it's ever been!
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the more recent inconsistencies that come to mind is Ashley and his vasectomy. Claire is in hospital and tells him to go get a vasectomy, next thing we know he is at the clinic waiting to get it done! Dont the writers realise that there are such things as waiting lists? Also, couples are required to go for conselling first to make sure they realise they should consider this to be permanent and that they are both sure they want to go through with it.
    I know he didnt go through with it at first but when he decided he would go, after Claires sex ban ultimatum, there he was getting done the next day!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Monday, 2nd Nov '09 ...

The builder manages to remove half of Dev's roof while the shop is open - with no-one mentioning it to Dev, he not hearing anything or seeing a ladder propped against the front of the shop.

Gail borrows some gear from Bill who must be a 10/12 - because they were a perfect fit for her - and she also appears to have an instant command over a power sander!

First time I've watched Corrie in ages, and exactly the same two things occured to me
  • Options
    shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts on the rovers return and where the toilets are.

The answer is simply, its a tardis ;) The pub is muhc bigger on the inside that it appears

It did occur to me last night whilst watching Corrie how Dev wasnt alerted sooner to the disappearing roof tiles, surely you make aright racket go up and down a ladder removing them

Also whilst we are on subject the shop years ago the door from the camera viewpoint was on the right and customers were served near the front window but this has since changed when they had a fire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    dee-rec wrote: »
    One of the more recent inconsistencies that come to mind is Ashley and his vasectomy. Claire is in hospital and tells him to go get a vasectomy, next thing we know he is at the clinic waiting to get it done! Dont the writers realise that there are such things as waiting lists? Also, couples are required to go for conselling first to make sure they realise they should consider this to be permanent and that they are both sure they want to go through with it.
    I know he didnt go through with it at first but when he decided he would go, after Claires sex ban ultimatum, there he was getting done the next day!

That's not true! My hubbie had the snip earlier this year, we didn't have to have any counselling, and the wait was only 3 weeks. It would have been shorter, had my incredibly nosy husband not wanted to be awake during the procedure, passing up a date 10 days from the day he first approached our gp for the procedure under general anesthetic.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing that Joe has any kitchen work at all.

The phone number (not a mobile) on his van has not changed since the day he first appeared on the street. IIRC he was thrown out of his house, has lived like a squatter and then moved in with Gail. Are the new people at his old address forwarding on his calls????? :D:D:D:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz to Simon's grandad. Something like - "a lovely boy, he goes to school with our Amy".

In real life she would more likely have said - "a lovely boy, he is our Amy's cousin." Or have the script writers forgotten that as well.

Ok they are not blood cousins, but Tracy is Ken's adopted daughter so legally they are cousins!.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive almost stopped watching ..the roy and tony stuff is the limit ..im giving it a rest
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What always gets me the demand for realism in soaps. IMO a pure contradiction & the day they reflect it, should be the day they give up. I like far fetched stories to a point & as long as they don't make up say diseases, like they did in Dallas once or Abducted by Aliens in Dynasty/Colby's, who am I to complain. OK I do complain LOL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    One of the most baffling things for me over all these years is why the factory girls go drinking pints down the pub in their lunch hour before returning to operate machinery that needs dexterity and careful handling and i'm sure would not be allowed!.

Janice was going to be the next Florence Nightingale especially after that Josh bee sting incident, now she's suddenly returned to be a screaming Harpie that would happily dance on Tony's grave and showed no compassion at all! and is still gobby even after being caught out as being the lottery thief!

Where on Earth did that upstairs flat appear at The Rovers??
    Because when Charlie Stubbs was keeping Shelley a prisoner, I could have sworn there were just bedrooms up there!

Why does every customer at Devs always have the correct money even without asking the price, and I haven't seen anyone use his cash machine in the shop. Joe asked Jason to lend him money until he could pop into town to a cashpoint!

Talking of which, it's a real enigma why Jimmy Harkishan still has a job acting as Dev...sorry did I say 'acting'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did all of Ashley's inheritance go? Fred owned the shop (ok he still has that), Fred bought the house and owned the Rovers.

Ashley sold the Rovers to Steve but must have got a few bob for it, he owned the house outright so why could they not afford to stay there and I am sure someone like Fred would have other monies stashed away.

Also, I cannot understand why Claire was so estatically happy to move from a modern semi with a garden to a terraced house on the other side of the street. That storyline never rang true to me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

While on the subject of money - Where did Steve get all of his from??????
This discussion has been closed.