Options

Viz comic

Comments

• Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Viz. It used to be so hard to get here.

Letterbocks FTW. :D
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    The Nice, Honest Gyspies :)
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still got drunken bakers :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Viz. It used to be so hard to get here.

Letterbocks FTW. :D

Yik! Yik!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    The letters page and top tips were the biggest laugh.

"One pound a week will supply water for an entire village in Tanzania" says Oxfam. So how come United Utilities charge me twenty pounds a month for my three bedroom semi? The thieving bastards!!!"

LMAO :D

Top Tips was my first post on DS. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Used to... Then I discovered DS had most of the characters...
    Milli Tant, Baxter Basics, Student Grant, ... :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I subscribe. As others have said Letterbox and Top Tips are still priceless. There's the odd strip I skip, like Billy the Fish. My favourite is probably Jack Black. Black Bag always makes me think of JPD! In fact there was a strip a bit back about Black Bag and the Reusable Bag.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Still got drunken bakers :)

Awesome. I keep meaning to start buying it again. I usually get the Christmas special, but didn't get round to it this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoilt Bastard was genius. He'd always end up in some horrible situation at the end of each strip just to spite his mother.
    http://tonyvalderama.com/acatalog/viz-spoiltbastard.jpg
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "White Wee Wee" - Teddy's First Wet Dream.

"Award winning Teddy Bear artist Deidre Dimwit-Forbes has captured for all times the magic of that moment when little Teddy first awakes to find his bed clothes stuck to his fur. Its an irresistible image that will prove a constant source of delight for senile Teddy obsessives, and an exclusive Lovejoy quality antique heirloom edition which mentally fragile collectaholics around the world surely cannot 'bear' to be without".
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Model railway enthusiasts! Individual sperm make ideal OO scale tadpoles.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Viz! I usually get asked "Oh is that for the boyfriend?" by the cashier. No it's for me :D

Been reading it since I was about 8 (I'm 25 now) since my uncle always bought it. The Top Tips and Letterbocks always have me in stitches. I love Fru T Bunn, Meddlesome Ratbag and the Celebrity style stories such as "Mad Max Clifford" (complete with Simon Fuller in an auto-gyroscopic Victoria Beckham)

I have a pile of them under my bed :o
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "When out driving, always turn left. Then if you get lost, you can find your way home by always turning right"

My absolute favourite strip was definitely Jack Black and his dog Silver, those stories are laugh out loud funny.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Love Viz! I usually get asked "Oh is that for the boyfriend?" by the cashier. No it's for me :D

Been reading it since I was about 8 (I'm 25 now) since my uncle always bought it. The Top Tips and Letterbocks always have me in stitches. I love Fru T Bunn, Meddlesome Ratbag and the Celebrity style stories such as "Mad Max Clifford" (complete with Simon Fuller in an auto-gyroscopic Victoria Beckham)

I have a pile of them under my bed :o

Don't feel embarrassed I'm 53 and still delight in the mag. It reminds me of a happy time when I worked offshore in the North Sea. The arrival of Viz was like a Red Cross parcel and was hot property on the rig.
  • Options
    boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been reading Viz since the '90's and still love it! Like a couple of other posters on here I don't like Billy the Fish...does anyone?
    I love Roger Irrelevant, Mr Logic, Fat Slags, Biffa Bacon but I find the Drunken Bakers pretty depressing :D
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    "White Wee Wee" - Teddy's First Wet Dream.

"Award winning Teddy Bear artist Deidre Dimwit-Forbes has captured for all times the magic of that moment when little Teddy first awakes to find his bed clothes stuck to his fur. Its an irresistible image that will prove a constant source of delight for senile Teddy obsessives, and an exclusive Lovejoy quality antique heirloom edition which mentally fragile collectaholics around the world surely cannot 'bear' to be without".

Or the other classic with the little girl doll holding a bottle of bleach...

'Mummy, this lemonade tastes funny'

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Eight ACE, lived like that dude for a while. bless him.

He won't be happy with the proposed price increase on booze.

What about the bairns?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    I haven't read it for quite a few years

I do still have the DVD boxset though, with Sid The Sexist, Fat Slags etc
  • Options
    alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been reading it for a few years. There are lots I like, the Fat Slags, the Pathetic Sharks, Biffa Bacon, Jack Black, Millie Tant, Baxter Basics, Spoilt Bastard, Mr. Logic, Sid the Sexist, 8 Ace among them. I don't like Billy The Fish or the Drunken Bakers.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    Or the other classic with the little girl doll holding a bottle of bleach...

'Mummy, this lemonade tastes funny'

Lol! I loved the Young Hitler Doll "Ich Bin Ein Naughty Boy" it's still one of my favourites XD

"The Mitford and Mosely Mint are proud to present a charming study of nascent evil

ICH BIN EIN NAUGHTY BOY

Your back was only turned for a minute but thats all the time little Hitler needed to 'goebbel' up all your chocolates...this historic heirloom collector premier doll will goosestep straight into your affections. The toothbrush moustache...the chocolately mouth twisted in genocidal hatred...the single testicle dangling forlornly in his trousers. All are lovingly captured by world-renowned doll artist Milka Magnesia.

This Nazi brand doll is being made available in an edition strictly limited to the number of dolls that can be made out of the total amount of stuff in the world, at the attractive (to us) price of £199.99, payable in increasingly inconvenient monthly installments."
  • Options
    sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Fru T. Bunn
  • Options
    Dave May CryDave May Cry Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still buy it. It is a bit hit & miss but when it hits it is hilarious. The Soft Name Scrappage scheme ad in one of the recent issues had me howling. Here it is:

SOFT NAME SCRAPPAGE SCHEME

TIRED of the same old soft name?

Unable to instill fear at garages, children's football matches and parents evenings?

Is your name ineffective at suggesting imminent violence?

Are you a Julian, Rupert, Giles, Xavier or Quentin?

Trade in your old soft name now, and we'll give you 50% off a real HARD northern name.

Names currently available:

Micky Padgett
    Terry Carlisle
    Billy Nunn (3 months left)
    Lenny Briggs
    Alan Graft (minimum 5 year lease)
    Gary Wadsworth (subject to availability/appeal)

"As Nicholas De Mere I was unable to command respect from tradesmen, but as Terry Matchett I have no trouble getting reasonable quotes from handymen. What the f*** are you looking at?" - T.Matchett, Buckinghamshire

• Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Morris Day - Sexual pervert: "You can't seriously expect me to stick my knob in that?! It'd be cut to ribbons!"
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find with Viz that there's a certain 'style' that follows each illustrator.

I have to say, I just don't "get" Drunken Bakers, and all the strips in that vein (obviously by the same illustrator). Second are the ones about Cosmo De' Medici and the like - they're very clever; but just too 'busy' plot/gagwise, and also somewhat 'cubist' as actual animations, for me to warm to.

My absolute favourite are the Gilbert Ratchet/Tinribs-type ones - they're always so lunatically absurd (and so gruesomely surpassing the heights of physical pain and torture), yet clasically 'Dandy/Beano'-esque in their illustrative style, thus all the more endearingly lampooning the traditional 'comic' format. Their subsidiary stand-bys seem to be Major Misunderstanding and Meddlesome Ratbag, as well as non-sequitur 'guest' strips such as 'Terror On Suprising Bra Planet' - all according with my kind of childish-but-clever sense of humour.