Options

Who used to buy Beano and Dandy comics here ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to read Beano and Dandy in the '60's, along with DC Comics, such as Superman, etc.

Mom would come back with a sackful from local jumble sales, and I usually siezed the lot, as my brother was dyslexic and couldn't read.

A memorable character for me, from either the Beano or Dandy, was "Major Tom", I think he was an occasional, rather than in every issue, strip. He had a remote control army, navy and airforce from a remote control that he wore on his left wrist.

Another was "Brassneck" - a sort of brass pal/robot with AI who was fun to be with.

The American DC superhero comic characters were my favourites, and I always thought of the similar Marvel characters as second rate compared to them. I recall thinking of them as being a late attempt to cash in on the DC superhero idea.

Mom is long since retired, but she now helps with jumble sales for the Mills Trust in Cornwall, occasionally. I was there a week or so ago, and she had some fantastic cloth doll clowns etc., for the next one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's now a tie-in to last year's CBBC cartoon, so instead of reprinting old material from a decade ago, it's entirely new material.
    yeuk! Saw the American film a few years ago. Nothng like the real thing.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    Used to read Beano and Dandy in the '60's, along with DC Comics, such as Superman, etc.

Mom would come back with a sackful from local jumble sales, and I usually siezed the lot, as my brother was dyslexic and couldn't read.

A memorable character for me, from either the Beano or Dandy, was "Major Tom", I think he was an occasional, rather than in every issue, strip. He had a remote control army, navy and airforce from a remote control that he wore on his left wrist.

Another was "Brassneck" - a sort of brass pal/robot with AI who was fun to be with.
    Major Tom? No, you mean General Jumbo, a Beano mainstay from 1953-75, he's also in the 2011 annual, he's been in most Beano annuals since 1990 despite no longer being in the comic. He would appear for about three months or so then take a break. In the last few years before these adventure strips were removed, a Jumbo series would run, then Billy the Cat, then another run of Jumbo.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    yeuk! Saw the American film a few years ago. Nothng like the real thing.
    Totally different character. The American film is based on a newspaper strip called Dennis the Menace, about a blond toddler. It launched in the same week as the UK strip, in 1951, so neither publisher was able to claim international rights to the name. The US one is marketed as just "Dennis" here, and the UK one is always called "Dennis and Gnasher" in the US - this is why the cartoon doesn't have "the Menace" in the title. The US character had a live action series in the 50s, a cartoon in the 80s, and two films in the 90s. The UK version had a puppet show in the 80s, and two cartoons, in 1996 and 2009.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a big beano fan, used to buy it weekly.

The gifts used to be much better than the plastic crap they stick to it now. My favourite was a Beano Banger, which was one of those paper bangers you could make via folding cardboard, except this one was made of cardboard and brown paper. It was incredibly loud!

My sister then became a fan about the time I stopped buying it, she's given up now they've redesigned Dennis though, and I don't blame her. The new cartoons aren't a patch on the old ones either.