Options

Simon: People Shouldn't Come Back

nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At one point tonight Simon said that he wasn't a fan of previous contestants auditioning for the show again because the fact that they didn't win previously just proves that they aren't good enough.

On that basis, I wonder if previous contestants should either be banned or should stop auditioning.

If nothing else, it would streamline the audition process as the number of contestants would be seriously reduced.

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexandra won after coming back, I think they forget that.
  • Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon needs to use returning contestants to either bait the other judges for rejecting them before (e.g Paul Akister) or to create extra tearful eliminations (a certain Miss McCabe springs to mind).

So even if Simon doesn't like them, he needs them to play their parts in the annual storylines. So I don't think they'll ever be banned.

Plus, the talent pool is looking pretty shallow these days, so these contestants are needed to make up numbers if nothing else.
  • Options
    Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit weird cos he tells half the contestants to go away and come back when they're ready! I think he was just saying it for dramatic effect and also he must see a load of the same auditionees year on year that we don't see, it'd get wearing..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Alexandra won after coming back, I think they forget that.

I think one of the Wand Erectioners was a returnee too.
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends how far through the process they get.

There are probably many people who just keep coming back, every single year. Maybe one year they'll get through the first round of auditions, the next year they'll hope to go one better. They're never going to stop.

Higher up the scale, if you get as far as judges' houses, you're probably never going to come back and win.... but even then, you could change a lot between, say, 16 and 22.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

Yep, Liam Payne.

As always with Simon he'll say something different from one moment to the next depending on whatever narrative he wants to push at that particular time. it's the same sort of contradiction as between 'we're looking for the finished article' and 'we're looking for someone with potential'. Or half the time he'll say something disingenuous just to set up so that he can be 'proved wrong' and do his little humble face and say 'I made a mistake, that was INCREDIBLE' - it's all about creating drama, false epiphanies and wooing the viewers to invest emotionally.

A polite way to describe him would be 'mealy mouthed'. A less polite way would be 'full of shit'. ;)
  • Options
    ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

As was Jade from Little Mix.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winner of American Idol this year, who, tbh,absolutely blows everyone on this season of X Factor away vocally and is IMO the best rock vocalist ever to bother with such a show, was a returnee.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Melanie McCabe was robbed last year

Haha sorry I still feel bad for her :)
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    I think it depends how far through the process they get.

There are probably many people who just keep coming back, every single year. Maybe one year they'll get through the first round of auditions, the next year they'll hope to go one better. They're never going to stop.

Higher up the scale, if you get as far as judges' houses, you're probably never going to come back and win.... but even then, you could change a lot between, say, 16 and 22.

Alexandra did just that
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Melanie. She is trying her hand in America now i hear.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Well he often tells people to "come back in a year or two". His views change with the wind depending on the story he's pushing..
  • Options
    jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just Simon having to much of a swelled head to to admit that they get it wrong alot of the time , especially in the later stages such as at Judges Houses . The talent looks thin on the ground this year and they may be begging some of them to come back next year . Some of the best voices on the show this year have been rejected before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Well he often tells people to "come back in a year or two". His views change with the wind depending on the story he's pushing..

Yes, people like Rachel Kerr and Chloe Thwala who are streets ahead of some of the contestants that have been put through are already gone. Says a lot about the lack of good musical knowledge that the producers of this show have.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More annoying is when he tells Louis he was wrong to send a contestant home in a previous series.........its a cheap shot and an insult to the viewers intelligence as quite clearly the decisions about the make up of the live show contestants is a production decision and not down to the judges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More annoying is when he tells Louis he was wrong to send a contestant home in a previous series.........its a cheap shot and an insult to the viewers intelligence as quite clearly the decisions about the make up of the live show contestants is a production decision and not down to the judges.

It shows that the judges are there just to pass comments, but not actuualy to make the decisions on who goes through. Farcical really.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winner of American Idol this year, who, tbh,absolutely blows everyone on this season of X Factor away vocally and is IMO the best rock vocalist ever to bother with such a show, was a returnee.

lol too bad he sold less than Candice Glover. CANDICE FREAKIN' GLOVER. It also makes me feel better about the state of XFUK because for all of James Arthur's follies, I'm pretty sure he sold more than 14,000 copies of his album
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Yes, Simon, you shouldn't have come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »

You are right there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »

This brought a huge smile to my face :D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra did it, but she was the exception rather than the rule, and even then she really had to fight for what she wanted. Both during the show and after it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Alexandra did it, but she was the exception rather than the rule, and even then she really had to fight for what she wanted. Both during the show and after it.

Agree, her and Little Mix (and I guess James) were the only three winners to have to work hard and gain votes throughout the show... James was in the B2, Little Mix climbed through the voting order and % as time went on and Alexandra was not very safe in the first half of the series. So, yes, Alexandra was a returnee but she didn't get the, "oh she's a returnee, she needs to go far" vote, she got better and it reflected in the votes. Week 8 when she sang Toxic and Listen was the first time she topped the vote, she had come 6th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 2nd, 4th and 4th in the previous 7 weeks. Once in Week 7 being one place away being in the B2.

The other winners... Shayne, Leona, Leon, Matt, Joe, Sam B all were dominating the votes from the first week of live shows so not much was stopping them.
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other winners... Shayne, Leona, Leon, Matt, Joe, Sam B all were dominating the votes from the first week of live shows so not much was stopping them.

Was Leon really dominating the votes? It seems astonishing with hindsight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    Was Leon really dominating the votes? It seems astonishing with hindsight.

Pretty sure there was a source about him dominating and everyone being shocked about it.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, her and Little Mix (and I guess James) were the only three winners to have to work hard and gain votes throughout the show... James was in the B2, Little Mix climbed through the voting order and % as time went on and Alexandra was not very safe in the first half of the series. So, yes, Alexandra was a returnee but she didn't get the, "oh she's a returnee, she needs to go far" vote, she got better and it reflected in the votes. Week 8 when she sang Toxic and Listen was the first time she topped the vote, she had come 6th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 2nd, 4th and 4th in the previous 7 weeks. Once in Week 7 being one place away being in the B2.

Great post. I would love to see the voting figures for series 3. I bet Leona had the largest voting leads out of any winner.

Alex wasn't even safe in the semi-final. Week 8 with Toxic/Listen made people finally see her as a contender, but she actually peaked in the final which worked out well in the end. I definitely think her year was by far the hardest. Every singer was good apart from Eoghan, but he had the teen girl vote, so it wasn't plain sailing for her.

Other singers i.e. TreyC tried to replicate what she did, but unless you properly prove yourself and work hard, it can be hard to come back and do well which is why I think more recent returnees seem to have ended up in groups.