Options

Wireless router advice, specifically looking for...

Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
Forum Member
✭✭
I have done quite a bit of searching, but I could do with some advice on this.

I'm looking for a wireless router to use with my Virgin Media cable with the Superhub in modem mode.

The features I'm specifically looking for are: -

QoS with some good QoS control over certain machines, traffic types to prioritise
Firewall that allows IP restrictions on inbound rules, not just firewall for outbound (seems to be that most of them only do this)
Dual band 5Ghz, wireless AC

You would think this would be easy, but I'm struggling to find anything. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I was looking at the ASUS AC66U, but it looks like it only does outbound firewall control with the only inbound features being "on", not the ability to restrict services on the LAN to access only from certain WAN ranges, which is a shame ...

demo http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/index.html

Comments

• Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that you can flash OpenWrt on will do what you want. The TP-Link Archer C7 seems to be one of the favoured 802.11ac routers.

I no longer use traditional QOS on my routers because, thanks to SQM-scripts and fq_codel, i no longer need it to keep everything humming along but the older QOS-scripts package allows you to combine fq_codel with prioritisation.
  • Options
    LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    You maybe need to look at third party firmwares such as Tomato, DD-wrt, ASUSWRT - Merlin, Openwrt and buy a router compatible with them. I use the ASUS N66U with Virginmedia running the Toastman mod of Tomato.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into those.