Options

Did anyone else move from Xbox 360 to PS4? I did and I am glad!

carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well I've had some money stashed away for a rainy day and decided after much debating I would upgrade from my 360 Slim, to the PS4.

Originally I was thinking about the Xbox One, but after reading that the One won't play 360 games it became apparent I had no loyalty to the Xbox ecosystem. So my search began. Out of the two, as much as I loved the 360, I just didn't feel any love for the One after reading up and watching videos online. I don't really play online, or at least I didn't with the 360, so again, I am not overly bothered about most people I work with having an Xbox One over the PS4.

One thing that put me off the Xbox One is the fact some games seem to struggle running at full HD on the Xbox One already. It may not be a big issue yet, but as more developers get used to demanding more from the systems I can see this eventually becoming an issue.

Having had the PS4 for about three weeks I do feel I made the right choice. The menu system and the media features are superb. So much so that I hardly use the Smart TV apps as the PS4 versions are much better. The only thing I do miss is 4oD but I believe that is eventually coming to the PS4 anyway.

Has anyone else moved from the 360 to the PS4 over the Xbox one, and if so, why?

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    What games do you have, or intend on getting?
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did. Although I also got xb one. I do only have one game for that, forza but will be getting halo collections for it when it comes out. Love ps4 though.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like soeedloafer moved and loving every minute of it lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    What games do you have, or intend on getting?

Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, BF4 and Pure Pool are in my collection right now. Project Cars and the next Gran Turismo are a couple I am most looking forward to in future as the last GT I played was on the original Playstation back in 1999!

The Last Of Us sounds intriguing. What's Metal Gear Solid like?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid stopped being PS exclusive years ago.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    One thing that put me off the Xbox One is the fact some games seem to struggle running at full HD on the Xbox One already. It may not be a big issue yet, but as more developers get used to demanding more from the systems I can see this eventually becoming an issue.

Launch games, mostly. Rushed, no time to optimise, etc.

And rather than getting worse it is actually getting better.

The June SDK ("XDK") for the Xbox One removed the requirement that 10% of the GPU be reserved at all times for certain Kinect-related functions, and that change has already enabled some upcoming games to use the increase in GPU resources to boost the resolution to 1080p (e.g. Destiny and Diablo 3).

Things will also get better simply because developers will get more used to the system and its quirks (like with the PS3).

The Xbox One will always have slower RAM and fewer GPU cores than the PS4, and so there will always be a "gap" between them. But that gap will at least get smaller than it was at launch.

I got my Xbox One at launch, and got my PS4 last week with The Last of Us bundle. Love 'em both :)
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid stopped being PS exclusive years ago.

Technically correct in that Metal Gear Solid 4 was released in 2008, although it was the last numbered MGS before Phantom Pain - and was exclusive to PS3.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2D will be along any minute now to tell you you've made a grave mistake :p

seriously though mate enjoy your new console and may you get many years of enjoyment from it :) i'm still on ps3 atm but only a matter of time before i make the jump to ps4.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

The June SDK ("XDK") for the Xbox One removed the requirement that 10% of the GPU be reserved at all times for certain Kinect-related functions, and that change has already enabled some upcoming games to use the increase in GPU resources to boost the resolution to 1080p (e.g. Destiny and Diablo 3).

Metro Redux has made good use of XDK.

The game has increased from 900p to......

[drum roll please]

912p

Whoo hoo! Reach for the skies people!

:p
    (Yes, I know, XDK came very late in the development process, things will get better over time.)
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a PS man and the PS4 was my first PS launch console. I did regret it at first as I've hardly used it, but more recently I've been playing and Tomb Raider looks stunning and incredibly lifelike at times. Pure Pool is just like a real table, it's a very impressive console but I hope the 'remasters' stop soon. Saying that, I was a sucker for TB and probably will be for GTAV too.

No need for an Uncharted Remaster collection just yet.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, BF4 and Pure Pool are in my collection right now. Project Cars and the next Gran Turismo are a couple I am most looking forward to in future as the last GT I played was on the original Playstation back in 1999!

The Last Of Us sounds intriguing. What's Metal Gear Solid like?

I have Watchdogs and pool. Loved both. Last if us is very good. Great characters and great story. I like the multiplayer aspect of it too.

I only started Metal a gear so I can't comment much. It's good but bear in mind that it's just a prequel game. You could have it entirely completed in a couple of hours.

There's a thread and poll further down of everyone's favourite games, check it out. Resogun and Infamous rated very highly. Might be worth checking out.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Last Of Us sounds intriguing.

It's amazing. The original was one of the absolute best games of the last generation.

It was my fave game of 2013, ahead of GTA V and BioShock Infinite.

I got the PS4 version last week and it's great.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    2D will be along any minute now to tell you you've made a grave mistake :p.

I don't think so! Unlike certain individuals I can happily accept other people's opinions and choices. ;)

Though I would add from my perspective it's a little unfortunate that a self-confessed "carguy" who is looking most forward to Project CARS and the next GT game has missed out on the joys of Forza Motorsport 5 and the upcoming Horizon 2. I've always felt Xbox was the best place for racers, but there we go.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

Project CARS is another title than is now 1080p due to the June XDK. The multiplatform games are certainly getting better and I would agree that as much as Microsoft tried to cover it up, the launch was horribly rushed. I don't think Microsoft had any intention to release the X1 until this year but were caught off guard by Sony's announcement in Feb '13.
    carguy143 wrote:

The situation had largely been blown out of proportion. Unlike past generations and the wide disparity between consoles, the media have (unfortunately and for the worst) chosen to focus in on it this generation making it a hot topic among zealot and largely ignorant gamers. The difference between hardware and the resulting multiplatform games is nowhere near the level of say.. Xbox and PS2 or even 360 and PS3, neither in terms of disparity or the duration of time before things started to improve. Though like the PS3 the Xbox One is incredibly powerful when programmed for specifically (see: Ryse, Forza and upcoming Quantum Break) and it takes a bit more time and effort to achieve the same results as PS4.

I find it a bit strange with respect to the consoles that both companies have effectively swapped places this gen. Microsoft made some pretty tough and radical choices for the better early on though so I'm sure things will be more evenly matched going forward. Though I'm glad you enjoy your PS4, this generation's going to be a good one regardless of which console any of us pick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing. The original was one of the absolute best games of the last generation.

It was my fave game of 2013, ahead of GTA V and BioShock Infinite.

I got the PS4 version last week and it's great.

I went from 360 to PS4 and Im going to put in the opposing view so you dont fall the hype like others have. If you like the survival / zombie type games you may like the game but I dont find the gameplay, which is what matters, anything special or unique - its all been done before. The only thing that's good is the way the story is presented through the cut scenes - but I didn't spend money just to watch cutscenes. Try before you buy.

Right now Resogun and Watchdogs are taking up my time with a little bit of Last of Us. Just waiting for Destinity right now.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member

:p

You're getting obvious.

I can't comment on your choice OP, but what i tell everyone i know is to make up your own mind based on the features, games, and exclusives that both consoles offer and not to listen to the views of apparent 'forum experts' who will often over exaggerate differences. Before the X1 and the ps4 were released no one gave a damn if the resolution of a multiplat game differed slightly on consoles(apart from the hardcore tech heads), now we get it rammed down our mouths like the difference is massive. It isn't.

My favourite games last gen were games like Borderlands,call of duty 4, GTAV, Halo Reach and Bioshock and i couldn't tell you what res or fps anyone of them ran at, neither do i care. All i know is that they looked brilliant and were a massively fun.

The ps4 is a great console for people that what the the best tech specs, so i can see why some would opt for it. But resolution difference between games was very low on my list when comparing the two consoles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I seem to have sparked some serious conversation here. As for the likes of Forza and Horizon, I loved the previous two Forza games but fancied a change. It was a consideration, but only a small one in the grand scheme of things. I would LOVE to see BIOSHOCK make a jump to the PS4 as the last three are some of my all time favourite games.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I seem to have sparked some serious conversation here. As for the likes of Forza and Horizon, I loved the previous two Forza games but fancied a change. It was a consideration, but only a small one in the grand scheme of things. I would LOVE to see BIOSHOCK make a jump to the PS4 as the last three are some of my all time favourite games.

Irrational went bust so it's unlikely Bioshock will make the jump any time soon. Forza 5 is ok, it has a neat function that does something like use other players runs as your competitors.
    Did you like Gears of War? There are some similarities between that and Last of Us gameplay wise. 3rd person, cover mechanic, large arena like areas connected by quieter areas much more stealth based than GoW though.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the Xbox One first as there's no PS4 games I wanted. But I'm not going to limit myself to just one console, when I can afford to, I will buy a PS4 and have the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I got the Xbox One first as there's no PS4 games I wanted. But I'm not going to limit myself to just one console, when I can afford to, I will buy a PS4 and have the best of both worlds.

I'm the other way around. Got a PS4 will get an Xbox One when there are the exclusives to justify the outlay.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the other way around. Got a PS4 will get an Xbox One when there are the exclusives to justify the outlay.
    The only exclusive I wanted on the PS4 was Infamous and it wasn't even released at launch, I've already played and completed the Last of Us on the PS3.

Where as on the Xbox One there was about 3 exclusives I wanted at launch, but I guess it just comes down to personal taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    You're getting obvious.

It was Saturday night. I'm trying to have a laugh. Chill and stop being so defensive.

As I said, XDK came along very late in Metro's development. It was never going to make a massive difference. Future titles will reveal more.

And actually, go back over all the "resolution-gate" threads, where I don't think I chipped in with any negative opinion once. Because I don't care. As long as a game isn't crippled, what do a few missing pixels matter?

When I was playing on 360/PS3 I chose which version of multi-plats to get based on a number of criteria, not just graphics.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both. Tend to use the PS4 more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    The only exclusive I wanted on the PS4 was Infamous and it wasn't even released at launch, I've already played and completed the Last of Us on the PS3.

Where as on the Xbox One there was about 3 exclusives I wanted at launch, but I guess it just comes down to personal taste.

Fair point. Xbox One arguably did have a better selection of exclusives at lauch. You can keep Ryse, but I wouldn't complain at all if Dead Rising 3 made its way to PS4.

But, when making my choice of which console to go for first, PS4 spoke to me as a socially connected gaming device, more so than MS's all-in-one entertainment hub. Throw in the confused messaging and draconian policies and there was no way I could put my faith in MS back then.

Sadly, those sort of opinions get you labelled as a Sony-loving fanboy round these parts, despite owning an Xbox and Xbox 360 since launch.

But things change and MS has changed (mostly for the better). Once they have the right games in place I'll be happy to jump back in.
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of moved across from Xbox360 (I also own a PS3 but it hadn't been used in a long time) I spent all my gaming time on the 360 and had decided NOT to get the next gen (now this gen) consoles so spent the money that I would have used to get both consoles on a PC instead, although I did read reviews about the new consoles to see how good they were and which games were being released for each one. 4 or 5 months after it's launch, I bought a PS4. I don't regret it but I do wish i'd waited for better games to come out. I still play the PC more than my consoles. I'll look into getting an XB1 next year.