Atos Medical Experiences

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As i may have to attend one myself soon (they should have my ESA form by now) if I was feeling like I did last night very agitated, feeling like punching 4 walls etc then I may get thrown out of the assessment my doing a serious kick off as i cannot cope with this shit.

Someone who's had bad nerves and anxiety most if their life and a lung condition, depression, Ibs on top with crippling pains is not going to make me feel I want talk to these idiots in a polite manner. I have a short temper and if I blow a fuse it will end up with s panic attack at the end of it.

Any advice on anyone else's past experiences with these idiots? :cry:

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Atos's job is to fail you and to take you off the benefit you are currently receiving, so I would advise you to go to the CAB first to make an appointment to see an advisor regarding lodging an appeal.

That way, if you have an appointment booked, you won't have to wait too long after you receive notification that you've been found fit for work. And you will be found fit for work.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has anxiety and other mental health issues. He failed the assessment by just turning up! Of course, if he had failed to turn up, he'd be sanctioned. AtoS's general purpose is to get as many people off disability benefits, and stuff the consequences (which have included people committing suicide and many subsequent deaths after people were placed on the work activity - although DWP and AtoS would probably just see such deaths as a cost saving).

I'd advise trying as much as you can to not lose your temper or give them an inch. Any excuse AtoS can find to fail you, they'll use it.

Sorry I can't sugar-coat it, but I'd rather tell you as it is than tell you lies.

Also makes me sick that AtoS are the main sponsor of the Paralympic Games in London. :mad:
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother recently got the results of his ATOS medical and the whole thing was a joke in fact the opposite of what he had said & what his condition is there on the form,
    They even went as far as to say he had arrived alone and walked the length of the car park alone which is complete rubbish.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly more positive experience - OH has had 2 of these in the past and has never had his benefit reduced afterwards.

Quick question - how long did everyone have to wait after their assessment to hear the outcome? My OH had his on 25th June and we still haven't had a letter yet - is this unusual (can't remember how long it took previously).

Thx :)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You have the right to have the assessment recorded just like a police intervieve
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,032
    Forum Member
    I think a lot depends on which ATOS centre you go to and who you get interviewing you.I had a breakdown and couldn't cope with anything and was in a right state. I was sent to the one in Croydon and was in a distressed state throughout the interview. The result came back 0 points and fit for work...they put on the form that I appeared a little bit upset.
    I lost my home and had to move but I had previously put in an appeal after my doctor had told me I wasn't fit for work and I had been on anti-depressants all this time, Citalopram 40. I then had to keep sending the sick notes in. Eventually I was called again to Canterbury ATOS centre they were completely different in their attitude and they could see what state I was in. Some time later I got a letter from DWP saying I've now been moved from the work group to a support group ESA, so obviously I passed this time.
    It goes to show it's just luck of the drawer as to what happens to you not your medical condition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What others have said it correct even going to the centre for the test is seen as a 'good thing'
    if you decide on a home visit they will normally write to the GP asking is this person unable to attend the selected location.

another thing people who use sticks etc its seen as a good thing because you have grip one lady who had both hips replaced and still need to use sticks as her knees are also gone was told if she could grip the sticks she can grip a mouse and use a computer....

its really sad to see these are not a true Genuine test of what life is like for you its more what they can 'catch you out on' which is disgusting.Reading in the local paper loads of people were told 'fit for work' all either won on appeal or at the Tribrunal.

One lady won the appeal 3 months later she was put through the entire thing again is that how it goes? just calling you back over and over?
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting article from the BMJ (British Medical Journal 8/8 2012),It's written by a good Doctor (has a conscience) saying how wrong it is for medical professionals to even 'work' for Atos.....

http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e5347.full?ijkey=hCXfT1z84M6BopW&keytype=ref

Hope it does some good.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think anyone whoi goes to ATOS, should take legal advice, amybe the courts could issue some sort of writ, so if ATOS falsely put down wrong claims, then there breaking the law, then serve the writ to the person do the interview
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to 3 now, dread each one and dreading the postman coming with a letter for the next. Its ruining my life just being petrified that one day leads me closer to the next letter.

They do (well in Manchester) have non waiting rooms if they freak you out. Its horrible. Make sure you go with someone if you can. Thats not for an excuse but if you get wound up and cant walk in youre done.

I really wish you well, take all the doctors letters you can find, they will want to copy them.

good luckxxxx
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also, bear in mind that if you have to lodge an appeal, they're averaging about a year's delay in many parts of the country. I don't expect my appeal to be heard until January 2013, which will be 14 months after it was first received.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for my appointment last month having been signed off by my GP after shoulder surgery. Between the sick note being sent and my appointment, I also managed to break my ankle and suffer a pulminary embolism which put me in hospital for a while. It took a few weeks for them to decide whether I could claim anything, which is why there was a delay between me getting a sick note and amy appointment. In fact the letter arrived 2 days after the benefits office deciding to pay me! I thought oh, great, the finally pay me, then want to take it off me.
    So I struggled to the office, hobbled in on my crutches, showed the examiner my medication and warferine book and she tool one look at me and said, I shouldn't een have been called in, and that they'd review me in 12 months!
    That was a bit of a chock, though I had been told it'd be at least 12 months recovery from my shoulder op.

Then a few days later I got another letter from them, dated the same date as my earlier appointment, telling me that I didn't need to go LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    also, bear in mind that if you have to lodge an appeal, they're averaging about a year's delay in many parts of the country.

This depends vastly on where you live, I was failed at the beginning of May and appealed, I got my appeal through this week. I received a extra 12 points through appeal, even though when the DWP reassessed they said is still only deserved 6 points.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about kicking off in that this is one of the descriptors, so if you kick off it sort of proves that you behave in a way that upsets others.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    None other than the Chief Exec of Atos called me a scrounger and a fake and a liar right here on Digital Spy! :D

This was in spite of the fact that I have a condition that is impossible to fake, and the fact that all 4 neurologists, 3 orthopaedic surgeons, 6 gp's, 4 occupational therapists and various other health professionals that I have seen over the last 20 years all confirm that my disability is genuine, chronic and very severe, and the fact that the Atos Chief Exec has never even met me or seen my medical notes. :D Come to think of it, I suspect that it was maybe not the real Atos Chief Exec, but a pathetic little troll with severe self esteem issues, especially as it kept coming back on DS under different names, to try and promote its hate blog (where the only comments were from its different, multiple id's as nobody else was interested in its bigoted rants), which were soon banned by the DS mods for continual personal abuse.:D

Re Atos medicals, I had no problem. The examiner was courteous and I was signed off for the maximum 5 years (6 months after my examination I tried to return to work, although I only lasted 8 months before I had to finally stop). I certainly recognise that many people have had shocking experiences with both Atos and the DWP. My condition is obvious (1 Consultant said that even an untrained chimp could see that I am genuinely unfit for work), but the tick box test is still often grossly unfair to people with fluctuating and mental health conditions.

200,000+ incorrect sickness and disability benefit decisions were overturned in the year 2011/12, either on appeal or reconsideration. That shows that the system is not fit for purpose from a decency and fairness standpoint. The Government are cynically using the tests to achieve their targets for reducing the gross cost of IB/ESA/DLA and their targets for reducing the numbers that are eligible.

On IB and ESA I read, a couple of days ago, a survey of employers where only 20% said that they were equipped to help their employees back into work after a long-term illness. Obviously the figure that would recruit someone who has "recovered" (according to Atos and DWP's rather warped understanding of the word) from a long-term illness after claiming IB or ESA would be much lower still. Many genuine people are being turfed off IB/ESA/DLA purely to save some money. Put into context, the amount lost each year to tax evasion is 3 x the total gross cost of IB, ESA and DLA, combined.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    My friend has anxiety and other mental health issues. He failed the assessment by just turning up! Of course, if he had failed to turn up, he'd be sanctioned. AtoS's general purpose is to get as many people off disability benefits, and stuff the consequences (which have included people committing suicide and many subsequent deaths after people were placed on the work activity - although DWP and AtoS would probably just see such deaths as a cost saving).

I'd advise trying as much as you can to not lose your temper or give them an inch. Any excuse AtoS can find to fail you, they'll use it.

Sorry I can't sugar-coat it, but I'd rather tell you as it is than tell you lies.

Also makes me sick that AtoS are the main sponsor of the Paralympic Games in London. :mad:

Losing your temper actually would score you points, being abusive scores even more on their marking guidance, but they still judge on their points scale that you are fit to have people work with you - unless you actually are a danger of assaulting others or pick up enough points elsewhere on other questions. The system defines unfit to work that narrowly. Turning up on your own, undermines your case for having problems going anywhere or without someone being with you - so taking someone with you becomes important.If anger/mood is a problem they ought to see it.

The basic rule is to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, but not to volunteer information that undermines your case and not to put anything down without necessary qualification. If you can watch TV but fall asleep or miss the plot the answer is sometimes but I often can't follow it - not just ticking the yes box. If there's a yes/no answer and the answer is sometimes, some places, or some people, your answer is no - and then to detail what you have problems with. If they insist on yes/no answer, say you can't answer it that way and repeat your full answer or say the answer is no and say when you can't.
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you admit that you can sit and watch a film on tv they will interpret that as ' is able to do office work as able to look at screen and sit comfortably for prolonged periods.'
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    None other than the Chief Exec of Atos called me a scrounger and a fake and a liar right here on Digital Spy! :D

Please do let me know who that scally is/was, Richievilla, by PM if necessary (I think I have a fair idea though - am I right or am I right :D: http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/ [clue])

As other posters have indicated above, ATOS' mission is to get people on the cheapest benefit and not the most appropriate one for their health needs and that is deeply unprofessional.

It's also clear from the BBC Panorama and C4 Dispatches documentaries that ATOS and the DWP do have pre-set targets for allocation into the various benefit groups (contrary to Chris Grayling's bare faced lies) and that ATOS will lean on doctors who appear to be too lenient and go against the benefit targets.

If anyone needs help against these heartless ATOS scumbags, I commend the links below:
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1293271
    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Get an appeal form printed ready..
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    As i may have to attend one myself soon (they should have my ESA form by now) if I was feeling like I did last night very agitated, feeling like punching 4 walls etc then I may get thrown out of the assessment my doing a serious kick off as i cannot cope with this shit.

Someone who's had bad nerves and anxiety most if their life and a lung condition, depression, Ibs on top with crippling pains is not going to make me feel I want talk to these idiots in a polite manner. I have a short temper and if I blow a fuse it will end up with s panic attack at the end of it.

Any advice on anyone else's past experiences with these idiots? :cry:

I had the interview a few days ago; I have recently had a major personal trauma, & when I told the lady this, she was very sympathetic towards me, whether or not this will affect the outcome - I do not know. Suffice to say in the midst of this crisis, I do not need any rocking the boat from them.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    From experience of being on ESA between summer 2009 and earlier this year I strongly suggest the following

1. Familiarise yourself with the descriptors for the work capability assessment. You need to score 15 points in order to continue to be entitled to ESA and it helps to have an idea of where you feel you should score and how many points you feel apply to you on that descriptor

2. If you have a mobile phone capable of recording audio set it to record before you arrive at the test centre and record the medical. Do not let Atos know you are doing this as they may refuse to carry out the medical (although they will claim it is you who did not comply with it). This will help in the event of an appeal. I scored 6 points on my first medical and on examination of my report and the recording I had made there were a number of inconsistencies with the information given to the "Doctor" and the information on the report - I was able to prove this to tribunal and was awarded 15 points on appeal. I scored 24 points on my second medical. They didn't bother calling me for my third medical and continued the benefit on the basis of my ESA50. By the time of my fourth medical my partner had started working and I wasn't entitled to ESA(I) on the basis of our income.

3. Be prepared to appeal. As others have advised Atos are there with one purpose, to get people off ESA. And they are prepared to lie, miss out information and do pretty much anything they can think of in order to achieve this goal. As others have mentioned the appeal service is bogged down with people appealing that waits of up to a year are likely. I had to wait 9 months for my appeal and this was in 2010 - they've gotten a lot busier since then. You will need medical certificates while you wait to appeal and they will continue to pay you benefit at the assessment rate. On the plus side when an appeal is won, benefit is backdated to the date of the incorrect decision or the end of the 13 week assessment phase (whichever is earlier) which can result in quite a nice sum owed (I was owed over £1k when I won my appeal)

4. If you are unsure or nervous about going to the medical you can take a friend or family member with you. If they have mobile phones capable of recording audio then by all means get them to use them too

5. Last and by no means least, try not to worry about it too much. Regardless of the outcome the medical, the tribunals service do get things right a lot more often than atos if it goes to appeal. Just may take a bit of time
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    I claimed on the basis of depression (with Asperger's and Dyspraxia taken into account at the medical) and expected to be found fit for work, but I've been placed in the work-related activity group. The lady was nice.

At the medical itself she asked me a lot of one answer questions, I can't remember exactly what, and asked me to follow her finger, touch my nose then touch her finger, squat, lie on a bed and lift my legs in the air, then turn my feet to the side etc...

You will be required to attend half a dozen or so work-related activity sessions such as seminars, etc. but you should not be obliged to apply for any actual jobs although in practice it might require the support of your GP on that one if you're not yet able to apply for jobs.
    I had the interview a few days ago; I have recently had a major personal trauma, & when I told the lady this, she was very sympathetic towards me, whether or not this will affect the outcome - I do not know. Suffice to say in the midst of this crisis, I do not need any rocking the boat from them.

It can take quite a few weeks for the results of an ATOS test to come back and if they are too harsh then my suggestions are to get advice from the local CAB office about how to deal with the result, e.g. appeal, because that affectively doubles the appeal success rate - link here: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

In addition, it can be worth getting new statements from your GP/consultant about the poor state of health and present that at any appeal and finally take a look at this informative video here (which they tried to take off the internet and failed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbWXG6Ho4i8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know of anyone who has passed the "ATOS" Medical , its not a medical in the true sense, its a computer programme.
    Worse is to come Atos have just won the next contract to test people on DLA, hundreds of people on higher rate of mobility will lose their cars.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my letter today :( had to phone my care co ordinater up as I had a panic attack about it she said she will help me fill the form in but I might need to go the cab as well
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    The Disability Benefits Consortium (made up of over 50 charities) has asked Atos and Capita to sign up to 10 pledges re the PIP assessments. Capita have acknowledged the request and are talking to the DBC, but sadly, and not surprisingly, Atos have ignored the request. The pledges can be seen here:

http://disabilitybenefitsconsortium.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/dbc-pip-assessment-provider-pledges.pdf
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Got my letter today :( had to phone my care co ordinater up as I had a panic attack about it she said she will help me fill the form in but I might need to go the cab as well

About 2 weeks on from that you will get the form to fill in and you must get it back to them within 4 weeks, I'm shitting it as maybe end of next week or a short time after I will get a brown envelope asking me to attend a medical assuming I need one :(