Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I try not to criticise a judge's marking when I haven't had the opportunity to taste the food but Mary Ellen has been extremely lucky this week in my opinion to have been marked so high given that she's been late for one course, served undercooked suet on another and not served her main course hot enough. Can't help thinking a judge like Waring would have been marking her right down by now.
    I wouldn't say that. I think Wareing has his favourites just as much as other chef judges.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I think the noodles on Aiden's dish just didn't go.

They may have tasted wonderful, but when you've gone to so much trouble to theme the rest of your dish as stoneage the includsion of a pot noodle and a revolving fork just spoilt the whole effect.

And the wife and I are slso stunned by Mary Ellen's scores, 15 minutes late, soggy pastry, cold main and she's still in second place? If I were Chris I'd be bloody annoyed.

It did seem out of place. The noodles had nothing to do with the rest of the dish. If it was a noodle soup or pho that you put the beef into then you could imagine it but it was hunks of beef and also had potatoes.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Good evening.

Compost and a wheelie bin? Interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really feel for chris. Seems like he has done little wrong this week but when he talks to Phil it sounds like he already knows he has no chance of going through
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spheres! I knew she wouldn't let us down...
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Good evening.

Compost and a wheelie bin? Interesting.
    hello
    milmol wrote: »
    Really feel for chris. Seems like he has done little wrong this week but when he talks to Phil it sounds like he already knows he has no chance of going through

Agree, he appears as an also ran. BUT he may easily go through if ME messes up again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mary Ellen but is she wants a tough critique for cakes she needs to go beyond a 7 year old, :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she say Bin Juice? *shudders*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont believe that Aiden really thinks he can be overtaken at this stage. I wish the ,lead chefs wouldnt say it.

I dont like the look of his pudding either, but I'm sure it tastes great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris' pudding sounds delicious.
    Banana, Chocolate, rum, raisins etc all good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "just not very nice" = ouch
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm... I know Aiden's pud was a mess, but there's no way Mary Ellen should be level with him after the week she's had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprises tonight, not sure how tomorrow will go - if Mary Ellen's food was as good as the scores suggest (assuming Phil marked her down for her mistakes, it must have been amazing) if she executes it to plan tomorrow it could be close.

Should also add, having said I wasn't looking forward to seeing Phil as a judge I have found him quite watchable - much more so as a judge than a competitor for me.
    Forum Member
    Hm. Had to pause viewing to take a Valentine's phonecall, so just catching up.

Presentation wise, I like Chris's banana best - it was mildly witty, rather than trying too bloomin hard with dustbins and mock slime burgers.

I'm not sure how Chris has offended? I've liked all his food, and he hasn't cocked up on 3 out of 4 days like ME has.

Heyho.
  • smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict that Aiden Byrne will win tomorrow and he will cry like a baby. :cry:
    Mind you if he loses again, for a fourth time... :cry::cry::cry:
    Either way there will be tears.

I hope Mary-Ellen wins though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    No surprises tonight, not sure how tomorrow will go - if Mary Ellen's food was as good as the scores suggest (assuming Phil marked her down for her mistakes, it must have been amazing) if she executes it to plan tomorrow it could be close.

Should also add, having said I wasn't looking forward to seeing Phil as a judge I have found him quite watchable - much more so as a judge than a competitor for me.

Mary Ellens food must taste fabulous considering all her cock ups.

I do not like Phil, but I have not disliked him as much as a judge, when he was cheffing I wanted to strangle him.
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Hm. Had to pause viewing to take a Valentine's phonecall, so just catching up.

Presentation wise, I like Chris's banana best - it was mildly witty, rather than trying too bloomin hard with dustbins and mock slime burgers.

I'm not sure how Chris has offended? I've liked all his food, and he hasn't cocked up on 3 out of 4 days like ME has.

Heyho.
    I agree. but I didnt need to go off for a valentines phonecall :)
    What makes you think Chris has offended?
    smokeycat wrote: »
    I predict that Aiden Byrne will win tomorrow and he will cry like a baby. :cry:
    Mind you if he loses again, for a fourth time... :cry::cry::cry:
    Either way there will be tears.

I hope Mary-Ellen wins though.

Good predictions. I think you might be spot on
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO chris's dessert was worth more than a 6 if the only fault was a slight lack of banana flavour which is easily fixed. The bin idea was awful...ME has had a very lucky week not being seriously penalised for her cock ups, considering aiden got a 4 for his slime burger disaster.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    IMO chris's dessert was worth more than a 6 if the only fault was a slight lack of banana flavour which is easily fixed. The bin idea was awful...ME has had a very lucky week not being seriously penalised for her cock ups, considering aiden got a 4 for his slime burger disaster.

I'd agree, didn't get what was remotely funny/witty about ME's desert, a tiny portion hidden among stuff you couldn't eat and stuff in a bin - horrible presentation :confused: Although I hate bananas and have them down on my 'Evil Food' list (yes, I have one :o ) that was far and away the best presentation.

As others have said, I can only imagine ME's food tastes amazing, but I think Aiden will be through tonight.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been dissapointed with this week's episodes, the North-West heats are normally quite good, but I don't think many (if any) of the dishes really fit the brief. Plus for the 2nd time in 3 weeks my favourite has been eliminated first.

I think it'll be quite close tonight, Mary-Ellen is clearly a very talented chef given the scores she got despite her mistakes, so if she rectifys them tonight, it could mean another defeat for Aiden.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked the 'rubbish' dessert idea by ME. I think if she restructured the presentation so the square grassy think had a path to the side for the wheelie bin then it would work much better - it would bring the concept together - I think Phil was right pointing out the bin on a side plate just looked odd.

I was also surprised by the lack of 'stuff' in the trifle. It seemed to be made of just 2 things, the sponge, the spheres and the custard. I suppose there was the edible soil too. But it seems lacking in something for a trifle.

I liked the concept, thought it was funny but it must have tasted very good to get the scores she did. She will have to do better tonight if she is to impress the judges.

I suspect Aiden will walk it as the pressure is much higher in the final and she was jelly in the rounds!
    Forum Member
    I don't suppose I really do think there's some massive conspiracy against Chris, I was being DS-ish:D

I too thought ME's presentation was abysmal, and both hers and Aiden's concentrated far too much on OO look how quirky I can be. Chris's tasted good, if a bit under-bananaed, and the presentation made me smile, rather than go What??? , which fulfilled the brief for me.

Heyho, not the end of civilization.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Aidan wins tonight. For his own sanity more than anything.

Do any of you make predictions as to a course you think "wow" and "that's totes going to the banquet"? So far, I have Michael's starter, Aidan's main and Tom's pud.

Though I liked Michael's main a lot.I think Scotland definitely will get a dish there.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I hope Aidan wins tonight. For his own sanity more than anything.

Do any of you make predictions as to a course you think "wow" and "that's totes going to the banquet"? So far, I have Michael's starter, Aidan's main and Tom's pud.

Though I liked Michael's main a lot.I think Scotland definitely will get a dish there.

Ahh, I've got Michael's main as a lock in for the banquet - after that I don't think we've seen another banquet dish yet, although if she makes it thought ME's starter would be my pick so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh, I've got Michael's main as a lock in for the banquet - after that I don't think we've seen another banquet dish yet, although if she makes it thought ME's starter would be my pick so far.

Yeah I really liked Michael's main course because while not overtly humorous (I did adore the fez though), it represented Comic Relief's work - and it looked so so good.

I think you might be right, actually!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    She's never had gammon with pineapple then?

I think it was more the pineapple with blue cheese.