Options

Breastfeeding in a Swimming Pool

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Who's ever said that women in swimsuits must be covered up? :confused: If they were, that'd be pretty much every women's fashion/ lifestyle mag - Vogue, Cosmo, Heat etc - screwed then.

Well the Co-Op for starters, all lads mags are being covered up. Of course its only magazines aimed at men, the Women's ones with semi naked celebrities and articles on how to achieve the perfect orgasm are ok
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I'd rather not go in a swimming pool that has a chance of breast milk floating about in it.

You realise there's more chance of the pool containing urine?
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's putting the baby at risk. Does she not know you're not supposed to eat at least an hour before swimming.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Co-Op for starters, all lads mags are being covered up. Of course its only magazines aimed at men, the Women's ones with semi naked celebrities and articles on how to achieve the perfect orgasm are ok
    I know the point you're making, but, well, no, they didn't, did they. The lads mags the Co-Op objected to would never short-change its' readership by showing women in swimsuits. Lads don't want to see women in swimsuits. They objected because they wear very little to nothing.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swimming pools are for swimming in not standing around feeding a baby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woman feeds her baby with breast shocker!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »

To be fair I think they may have stopped her bottle feeding in the pool also
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know which I am more annoyed by, the woman for selling her story, the papers for thinking this was news or the pool for getting upset over seeing a boob.

I am going with an equal amount of all
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't know which I am more annoyed by, the woman for selling her story, the papers for thinking this was news or the pool for getting upset over seeing a boob.

I don't think it's so much seeing a boob if she had sat at poolside I doubt they would have had a problem.

But as I said given the story a few weeks ago I think this one did it on purpose to be stooped and then tell the papers
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why do people always assume people are stopped from breast feeding because of people "seeing a boob"?

I would say it isn't a healthy place for anyone to eat in whatever fashion
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with the pools decision, she sounds a pain, babies are often sick when being fed so I think she's a bit stupid to have thought it was a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a swimming pool, surrounded by chemicals, urine (and possibly faeces) and all manner of bacteria that could make a baby seriously ill. I agree, that is shocking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Totally agree with the pools decision, she sounds a pain, babies are often sick when being fed so I think she's a bit stupid to have thought it was a good idea.

My son always did a poo
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    My son always did a poo

I remember that. It floated right across my plate of pate de foie gras and put me right off it.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    My son always did a poo

Well there is that but short of banning babies from swimming pools then there's not a lot one can do about that, just one of them things.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    In a swimming pool, surrounded by chemicals, urine (and possibly faeces) and all manner of bacteria that could make a baby seriously ill. I agree, that is shocking.

The baby would be exposed to all that anyway by being in the pool. And if the pool was really that unsanitary, nobody should be allowed in it.

The only real problem I can see is that it's annoying to have other people just standing in the pool, getting in the way of swimmers.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you were in a swimming pool where they allowed women to breastfeed, you'd still have a far higher chance of there being piss floating around in it than breast milk.

Pretty much a certainty. That "chlorine" smell is due to chloramines that form from chlorine and mostly urine but also sweat, body oils, deodorants etc.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All reasonable allowances must be made for babies to be fed.

Feeding in a swimming pool is not one of those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    The baby would be exposed to all that anyway by being in the pool. And if the pool was really that unsanitary, nobody should be allowed in it.

The only real problem I can see is that it's annoying to have other people just standing in the pool, getting in the way of swimmers.
    Exposed to it in the sense of being in the water yes, but any sensible parent would want to minimise the risk of the baby ingesting the water. Impossible to know the risk of that in this situation, but I'm not sure that feeding the baby is the best way to go about it. (Unless I'm slightly out of date on these things and babies are now deliberately ducked under precisely to build up an immunity.)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I can see this becoming a thing I can even see people going to the pool to be told to be stopped and even setting it up i.e if the pool attendant isn't paying them attention or notices them getting one of their friends to go and point it out to them
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very pro breast feeding but people are not meant to eat in a swimming pool ergo no need to breastfeed there either
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I can see a new 'sport', called Extreme Breastfeeding.

Ladies will attempt to breastfeed in more and more outlandish and outrageous locations and situations, seeing just how far they can get.
    If they get stopped or told off, then they will get 'outraged'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

Ladies will attempt to breastfeed in more and more outlandish and outrageous locations and situations, seeing just how far they can get.

All this does is a disservice to the acceptance of breast feeding in public.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »

Staff - You realise that there is urine in the pool. That's why we have to use chlorine. Urine and Chlorine isn't be good for a baby
    etc....

I'm very pro breastfeeding in public. Women should be able to do so pretty much anywhere but a swimming pool with all its chemicals is not the right place. The side of the pool should have been suitable.

I said this on the other thread over and over but in these cases the baby has ALREADY been exposed, dipped in and no doubt swallowed loads of the urine, chlorine and everything else in the pool. If it's soo dangerous for the baby then they shouldnt allow babies at all!
    It's not like the woman came into the pool specifically to feed her child.
    And yes people wouldn't be comfortable feeling there was breastmilk leaked into the water but as pointed out in the other thread a feeding mother might leak anyway whether she was feeding the baby or not. Not to mention all the other bodily fluids floating around!
    The hygiene arguement is a red herring.

The only issue is it makes other patrons and/or staff uncomfortable to see it being done.
    That's all there is to debate.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

I will organise these special breast feeding events then.

I will call it breast fest.