BBC to launch five new subscription-free HD channels on Tuesday 10 December

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
Forum Member
The BBC today announced it will launch five new subscription-free HD channels on Tuesday 10 December.

The new channels: BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD will be available on Freeview HD, Freesat HD, YouView, Sky HD and Virgin Media. Viewers will also be able to catch-up on HD programmes from these channels on BBC iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/new-hd-channels.html

Comments

• RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    Now on Sky EPG

210 BBC Three HD
    211 BBC Four HD
    570 BBC News HD
    624 CBeebies HD
    633 CBBC HD

HD/SD swap not implemented yet - no doubt tomorrow when go live. Just showing Coming soon caption at present.

EPG shows BBC News HD starting at 0830 Tuesday, BBC Three/Four HD at 7pm and CBeebiesHD / CBBC HD at start of transmissions Tuesday.
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see HD channel swap will be used for BBC 3 and 4 but why is BBC News HD going to 570 and not swapping with BBC News SD on 502?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    KevJ wrote: »
    The new channels: BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD will be available on Freeview HD
    Not all areas. For example, round here not until some yet to be specified date next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arunan22 wrote: »
    Why is BBC News HD going to 570 and not swapping with BBC News SD on 502?

It will be on 503 from January.
    Regarding BBC News HD, we have decided to delay the swapping with the SD channel until after the Christmas change freeze, ie, January 2014, in order to avoid non-essential technical work that could impact the availability of our existing SD BBC News channel whilst it is covering a major news story.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not all areas. For example, round here not until some yet to be specified date next year.

And not Freeview Lite except for BBC 3 HD which is the one I am least likely to watch.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also BBC 2 HD England gets the Sky swap in England and BBC 1 HD Wales and Scotland get the swap in Wales and Scotland respectively with BBC 1 HD NI already swapped last month.
  • RoryWatchesTVRoryWatchesTV Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    BBC News going HD is long over-due, Sky News has been for years!

BBC Three going HD might be interesting as well, not so bothered about the others though tbh.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    And not Freeview Lite except for BBC 3 HD which is the one I am least likely to watch.

It's not just Freeview lite areas that will miss out, it's 30% of the UK population that will, Freeview Light only accounts for 9%,
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News going HD is long over-due, Sky News has been for years!
    It's not some kind of race you know!
  • jonnybelchjonnybelch Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Any news on the channel numbers for virgin?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's not some kind of race you know!

They had to wait until they moved to New BH, there would have been little point in re-equipping studios at TV Centre when they were going to move out in a few months.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC4 HD seems a bit pointless now they've stopped making new dramas.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Excellent news, something that not long ago I thought might never happen.

Unreservedly well done, BBC. Though I'll probably still watch mostly the SD versions due to the distance I normally sit from my HD TV, and lack of recording space on my PVR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    They had to wait until they moved to New BH, there would have been little point in re-equipping studios at TV Centre when they were going to move out in a few months.

Yes, a very good point indeed.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonnybelch wrote: »
    Any news on the channel numbers for virgin?
    BBC TWO HD has a number change so it will look like this on Virgin

BBC TWO HD 162
    BBC THREE HD 163
    BBC FOUR HD 164
    BBC NEWS HD 604
    CBBC HD 607
    CBEEBIES HD 608
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah cos everything else is so SD -like imported Saturday drams, like nature and art docs and films and...!
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a stupid thing to say.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is now plenty of archive programs that 'fit' on BBC 4 that are in HD, so I totally disagree!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to say.

Yes you are right. In my opinion BBC 4 is the best BBC channel.
    Ian.
  • jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Why are the BBC not using EPG LCN 168 and 169? the slots vacated by BBC HD and BBC Alba.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope hey have still got the HD rights to Family Guy and American Dad, I don't know about AD but FG did make a brief outing on the then BBC HD channel. Be great to see Wilfred and Parks and Rec in HD too.

PJ
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Really important for Cbeebies to be in HD as the average two year old must get really concerned about the picture quality of the programmes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Really important for Cbeebies to be in HD as the average two year old must get really concerned about the picture quality of the programmes!

However, considering that Cbeebies material is probably already shot in HD, and the channel timeshares anyway, there is no reason NOT to launch.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't quite understand the "non-essential technical issues" in swapping the SD/HD News channel numbers. Surely this is something Sky controls, not the BBC. If they can swap the Three/Four channel numbers without issue, why can't they swap News too?