Options

Hen parties, how, why and when did these become so popular?

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hen parties, how, why and when did these become so popular?

I'd only ever heard of stag parties when I was younger. Today I'd say hen nights are much more pronounced than stag nights.

Comments

• Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who cares
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because women wanted the chance to act like jerks in big group?
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always like coming across a hen party in the wild, knee-tremblers and penguins are the order of the day.
  • Options
    ziggy*stardustziggy*stardust Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I've wondered this myself. Got invited to one coming up shortly- an entire weekend - cost just shy of £200 and that's without drinks, food and travel (it's quite far away). Madness if you ask me. I politely declined...
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm a woman and don't see the appeal of hen nights at all. They seem really tacky. Plus I don't agree with what it stands for. Isn't it something to do with the 'last night of freedom' before marriage or something?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I'm a woman and don't see the appeal of hen nights at all. They seem really tacky. Plus I don't agree with what it stands for. Isn't it something to do with the 'last night of freedom' before marriage or something?

You don't agree with what it stands for but you don't actually know what it stands for? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vague memories of rudely manhandled manhood and painfully pinched backside from when I blundered into these terrifying packs of women when I was a young and naive bloke - which was rather a long time ago - tell me they are nothing new.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Vague memories of rudely manhandled manhood and painfully pinched backside from when I blundered into these terrifying packs of women when I was a young and naive bloke - which was rather a long time ago - tell me they are nothing new.

Well, the first book on planning bachelorette parties wasn't published until 1998 according to Wiki.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in my day it was a chinese with friends and famiky then mum and gran were put in a cab home and the younger generation went clubbing.
    Nowdays is seems anything less than a week in Ibiza with a grand a head spenfing money is considered low key
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I find most of the hen parties I see out & about really tacky, however for the most part they're not hurting anyone and if the bride-to-be is happy then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I have no issue with the big weekend away / international trip hen parties in principle, but if the bride-to-be gets all offended because friends can't make it due to finances/childcare/work etc. then I think she needs to get over herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Well, the first book on planning bachelorette parties wasn't published until 1998 according to Wiki.

Sounds American to me.

Does the average salaciously inclined woman really need to read a book on how to get drunk and behave outrageously?
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know how true this is, but an older lady told me during a conversation about how outrageous and expensive weddings and increasingly hen parties are becoming nowadays, that hen parties and stag parties too for that matter, were originally for the intended bride or groom to have a last get together with their friends before the wedding, especially those who wouldn't be attending the wedding due to the cost, which was usually met by the father of the bride. But nowadays the world and his wife are invited to the wedding and expected to give an expensive present or money, and also to shell out for an expensive piss up abroad for at least 3 days if not a week!!

Thank God I didn't feel the need to hold a hen night when I got married, I don't think I could have coped with the hassle, let alone the expense!
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    If you want to see tacky, take a trip to newquay.
  • Options
    ziggy*stardustziggy*stardust Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Don't know how true this is, but an older lady told me during a conversation about how outrageous and expensive weddings and increasingly hen parties are becoming nowadays, that hen parties and stag parties too for that matter

I agree with that- see my earlier post. The cost is mad. If I were ever to get married I wouldn't have one that's for sure.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I'm sure all involved are having a good time, but as an outsider, I find them loud, tacky, and a bit silly to be honest.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wizzy hates hen parties.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    who cares
    Well, the OP, obviously.

You cared enough to open the thread and post your helpful contribution.

And several other people have posted since.

Happy to help.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    I'm sure all involved are having a good time, but as an outsider, I find them loud, tacky, and a bit silly to be honest.

That would apply to stag nights too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very glad to say I have never been to one. They are my idea of Hell.

If I got married I'd rather have a quieter gathering over a hen night....am I just really boring? :blush:
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to 4 in the last 6 months and each one of them has cost me about £150 or more, and they all included a night in a hotel !!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted, wrong thread.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind hen parties if it's a nice meal, afew drinks and a dance in the local nightclub. It's when people plan full weekends away in expensive hotels and EXPECTING me to fork out stupid amounts for it.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at a hen party and some random man asked me to marry him ... it was quite flattering but I think he was drunk at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind stag nights personally. It's fun to mark a new chapter in someone's life by having a few drinks, a laugh, and some reflection.

Imo many women on hen nights try too hard. Perhaps they try to outdo males in this regard (or what they imagine males to be doing). For example getting blind drunk and having a stripper turn up. Usually pretty harmless I suppose. I've always found it a bit seedy tbh when some girl gets her clothes off like that, but that's just me. As women often remind us, when men get a stripper it's seedy, pervy, and sad. But when women get a stripper it's just a laugh. I'm told when women leer and grab strippers it's done in a way that is errrr not seedy or pervy at all! I made the fatal error once of telling my wife that I ended up in a strip joint on a stag night. No big deal I thought, she had done the same previously. Sixteen years later and she still hasn't let it go. Women - bless 'em.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to 4 in the last 6 months and each one of them has cost me about £150 or more, and they all included a night in a hotel !!

When did people get to be all about spending so much money on everything? It's pure insanity to me. I hate how nothing is "allowed" to be simple or understated anymore. :(