Options

Two Week Wait for Sky Broadband

Some advice please.

I have ordered Sky TV and their phone line and Broadband. The TV part is scheduled for 20th Sept but the phone line and broadband won't be live until 6th Oct.

I am going to be renting the property and the current tenant has cancelled their BT line and broadband service as of the 20th.

I phoned Sky CS to ask why the wait for their BB to start and I was told it was because BT don't free up the line for two weeks after the date it is disconnected with them, there is "always" a minimum two week gap in service.

I wondered if this is actually true and would it make a difference if I can ask the current tenant to obtain a MAC instead of just cancelling their contract with BT?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wouldn't it also work out cheaper for the current tenants if you obtain a mac code because im sure bt charge £30+ for disconnection where if you use a mac code its free
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    wouldn't it also work out cheaper for the current tenants if you obtain a mac code because im sure bt charge £30+ for disconnection where if you use a mac code its free

Thanks for that, I'll see if they can obtain the MAC. Would that speed up the process of changing over the line from BT to Sky?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should do, as ive got a BT line, and am on Skys LLU, now im getting transferred over to Skys line, and getting their Fibre service, both on the 15th September, and i only ordered them on the 1st, it would take longer if the lines getting de-activated, as BT would have to re-activate it again, and then once thats been done, Sky would then be able to transfer it to them.

A MAC code would just leave the line activated, so Sky can get on and get it transferred to them, without having to wait until its been re-activated again before they can do it, so you wouldn't have to wait the 2 weeks for BT to do that, and then another 2 weeks, or however long it would be, for Sky to transfer it to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    It should do, as ive got a BT line, and am on Skys LLU, now im getting transferred over to Skys line, and getting their Fibre service, both on the 15th September, and i only ordered them on the 1st, it would take longer if the lines getting de-activated, as BT would have to re-activate it again, and then once thats been done, Sky would then be able to transfer it to them.

A MAC code would just leave the line activated, so Sky can get on and get it transferred to them, without having to wait until its been re-activated again before they can do it, so you wouldn't have to wait the 2 weeks for BT to do that, and then another 2 weeks, or however long it would be, for Sky to transfer it to them.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get the current tenant to request a MAC. Will that still be possible, even though she has already told them to simply end her service on the 20th?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id say yes, should still be possibe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just phoned Sky.

They said the MAC only transfers to a different provider on the same day if it is the same person that is moving providers. As it is switching between different tenants it has to be a disconnecting and reinstatement, hence the 2 week wait :cry:

Oh well, hope it's worth waiting for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a shame :(