Options

Switching issues

MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
Forum Member
I wonder if anyone else has had any issue with switching from Plusnet to Sky?

To try and cut a long story short, I transferred my phone and broadband from Plusnet to Sky on 18 August. All seemed to go fine, until this week when I received an email from Plusnet telling me that they would be taking a payment of £12.49 this month. Upon checking the account I discovered a bill for broadband (without telephone) for 12 September to 11 October! I queried this firstly by email, but was told to contact customer services as they had no record of my broadband being cancelled!

So I have phoned today, the first guy checked and saw that yep, I no longer had phone and broadband with them, so he put me through to cancellations - where I was informed that I should have got a MAC code from them and because I hadn't I now needed to pay a £30 cessation fee to close the account, which I duly did (well, part of it since the direct debit of £12.49 was due to go through). I was told to contact Sky about this, because as far as I was concerned Sky should have sorted everything out as their website says if you're switching from Plusnet you don't need to do anything as they'll contact them for you.

So I called Sky, who asked a load of questions and then told me to go back to Plusnet as they should have given me a MAC code when they sent me notification that my phoneline was being transferred. They did say however to call them back if I had no joys with Plusnet. Plusnet did sent me both an email and a lettter by post to confirm my phoneline was being transferred, but no mention was made of my broadband.

I've not had chance to call back Plusnet today; I just wonder whether I made a mistake somewhere or if Sky or Plusnet have? :(

Comments

• Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

I've not had chance to call back Plusnet today; I just wonder whether I made a mistake somewhere or if Sky or Plusnet have? :(

I doubt you have made a mistake because of .....
    Sky should have sorted everything out as their website says if you're switching from Plusnet you don't need to do anything as they'll contact them for you.
    where I was informed that I should have got a MAC code from them and because I hadn't I now needed to pay a £30 cessation fee to close the account

I would not believe that for a minute. Funnily enough the only time I've had a similar problem was years ago with BT who own Plusnet, maybe its company policy. I cancelled my package (phone and broadband) and went to UKonline. I did this online but BT said I should have cancelled the phone line and broadband separately ... I had only cancelled the broadband.

I have changed providers 4-5 times and never needed a MAC code.

As all went smoothly when you changed providers I would say the mistake lies with Plusnet, however if you get nowhere with them you can remind Sky of their promise to take care 'everything' ... I'm with Sky and they did for me.
  • Options
    MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Spoke to a very helpful lady at PlusNet today, who informed me that they hadn't received the correct cease code for the transfer but I shouldn't have had to pay the cessation fee, so that has been refunded, plus I was due a refund for broadband charges for the previous month from when the transfer took place. So I'm very happy now :)