Options

Vernon Kay's broad accent

hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Another contestant lost valuable time (during the 15 second round of the final) trying to understand Vernon's broad Lancashire accent.

Was it Pool, Paul, Pawl, Paw - no he was trying to say Pole.

To be fair to the contestants perhaps they should have subtitles written on a screen so they can understand what is being asked of them.

Or get another presenter with clear diction.

Comments

• Options
    Supera MorasSupera Moras Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Yes, let's ban all regional accents from TV and go back to having everyone speak with a BBC accent. It would make everyone sound the same, droning on in a monotonous tone, but at least people would be able to win gameshows.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I don't pay attention to Family Fortunes except for the final round where I try and join in and when he said "name a type of pole" my first answer was "Paul McCartney" lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he said "Name a type of pole" My mam said "O'Grady!"

Thought he said Paul too!
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe it has become a crime to have an accent :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem whatsoever with Vernon's Bolton accent. I do have the problem that, as a presenter he makes me want to throw things at the screen so tend to avoid anything that he presents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, asking for a "type of Paul" wouldn't make any sense, now, would it?

Come on ... 'pole' in a Bolton accent doesn't sound anything like 'Paul'.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon they should have had another go at it. Because she couldn't understand him she didn't give answers for the last two. They might have won if she had. That's the thing with Family Fortunes though, they blatantly don't want them to win in certain weeks by making the questions more vague then other weeks they're dead easy.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I saw Vernon Kay on TV recently and I was of the impression that he was noticeably posher than I seem to remember a few years ago. His accent didn't seem to be as strong as it used to be. I guess he's been out of Bolton for a while now and mixing with southerners is rubbing off.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise they didn't understand him, when Kay talks it looks like he's trying to spit his teeth out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. All presenters who are broadcast for the televisual entertainment-set should speak the proper Queen's English. And dress properly too, though Vernon usually does that anyway on the quiz shows he presents.

Good grief, this is 2008, not 1948, and we live in a world were worldwide communication is commonplace. Any native English speaker should be able to understand pretty much any accent from another native English-language speaker without much difficulty. Accents from people where English isn't the first language can be a lot more difficult though-- I have had occasional problems with call-centers where I have difficulty understanding them, or they with me, but that is to be expected as I would no doubt have an extremely strange accent if I learnt their language -- think something like 'Allo Allo' probably :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. All presenters who are broadcast for the televisual entertainment-set should speak the proper Queen's English.
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Good grief, this is 2008, not 1948, and we live in a world were worldwide communication is commonplace.

Yes, this is 2008, and thankfully, people with regional accents are not derided and seen as inferior. Well, not by many people, anyway.
  • Options
    qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this is 2008, and thankfully, people with regional accents are not derided and seen as inferior. Well, not by many people, anyway.

Thankfully, people are allowed to disagree with each other; That hasn't been classified as a crime(yet). His accent is annoying and some people may not understand everything that he says.
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    When Family fortunes was originally on ,everyone could understand the presenter...

Flash forward to 2008 and the problem with regional accents becomes apparent. I don't have a problem with regional accents but a mainstream London one is much easier to understand.
  • Options
    Miffy290580Miffy290580 Posts: 10,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any trouble understanding him, my hubby & in laws are all Boltonians so I'm used to it. I don't think Vernon's accent is not as strong as it used to be though because like my hubby he's down in London for too long!
  • Options
    Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    i thought he said - "name a type of poll"
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should take elocution lessons from his wife - she uses her accent on SCD but when she was fronting that lottery show This Time Tomorrow from Glasgow the accent mysteriously disappeared:eek:
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour is a Geordy and has a very strong accent. He gets his wife to translate when he's talking to me! Despite me being so thick we're good friends
  • Options
    withoutmotivewithoutmotive Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from the North and my girlfriend is from the South.
    When we first got together, she had terrible trouble trying to understand me.
    We're nearly there now, though.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to run a pub in Rochdale and a couple came in and ordered a botle of wine. After drinking most of it, the guy came up and asked for a "cork" I hunted around to find him a cork, thinking they'd finished and wanted to take the remainder of the bottle home with them. Then he said...

"Nor not a Cork, I want a cork-a-corla." I really couldn't tell the difference. But that's not to say I'd wan't reginal accents banned.

My girldfriend is a Geordie and I defy anyone who's not from that part of the country to tell the difference when they say "Coat" and "Caught." In a Newcastle accent they sound the same to an untrained ear.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously where Ronnie Barker got the idea for his classic sketch ''Four candles'':D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Yes, let's ban all regional accents from TV and go back to having everyone speak with a BBC accent. It would make everyone sound the same, droning on in a monotonous tone, but at least people would be able to win gameshows.

No-one suggested that.
    One can modify one's own accent, soften it, and I think it's wise to do that if you're on TV trying to give out info or present something.

The vast majority of TV presenters *do* this in any case e.g. Huw Edwards on the news. If he spoke with the 100% accent of his hometown (Llanelli), he would sound absolutely different.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in this particular case, it was not the accent that was the problem but the fact that it was a bloody stupid question. "Name a type of pole"? What the hell? I understood the question and still had difficulty coming up with an answer. Not to mention that 'pole' is homophonic anyway, so even if pronounced with an RP accent there's still no guarantee of understanding whether it's 'pole' is in 'pole vault', 'poll' as in 'election poll', or even 'Pole' as in 'person from Poland'.

Question at fault not the accent, in my opinion.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The surveys on the new Family Fortunes are becoming increasingly stupid.

'Name a type of pole?' has to be one of the worst yet! Totally nonsensical.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Well, asking for a "type of Paul" wouldn't make any sense, now, would it?

Come on ... 'pole' in a Bolton accent doesn't sound anything like 'Paul'.

Well it obviously does for some people as my post and the one below mine proves :p Plus, you have to answer so quickly you don't have time to wonder whether the question makes sense or not, you just say the first thing that comes to mind!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    My girldfriend is a Geordie and I defy anyone who's not from that part of the country to tell the difference when they say "Coat" and "Caught." In a Newcastle accent they sound the same to an untrained ear.

I know they do but it doesn't matter. You'd be able to tell from the rest of the sentence what the word is they are saying!