So what has happened to the latest Foxsat update?

13»

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    With Sky+ you can record without (extra) charge on any package. Even the cheapest one.

Indeed but if you just want the free to air and free to view stuff you do have to pay. I am told that to get the £10.00 a month deal to record, you now have to have already subscribed, so if true it's no good buying a second hand Sky-HD box and coughing up for a freesat from sky card if you want the pvr capability. :eek:
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    With Sky+ you can record without (extra) charge on any package. Even the cheapest one.
    However if you aren't on any packages (ie;you're on Freesat from Sky) then you do have to pay £10pcm to record and that's contentious.

Until the HDR I used to argue that it was worth it for reliability. These days I wouldn't. In my experience they are both about as reliable(*) - that is 99.9%. All things considered I now take the view that it's worth £10pcm for recording only if you are on a temporary break from Sky and will return to the fold within a couple of years.

(*)Although that took a hit when Sky pushed a firmware update before Christmas. Luckily they temporarily made a beta available in February and it cured my problems but now there's a new proper update about to be pushed and I'm nervous :cry:
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hillel wrote: »
    I agree that the HDR is the best option, right now. In fact I would rate it very highly if the remaining issues/niggles were
    addressed. As it is, due to the Live Pause Bug, the other Hillels have voted with their pockets and I came home last week to find Sky multi room installed. Now that BBC3/4 are coming to the Irish EPG, the Foxsat is being relegated to the experimenters corner. Unfortunately I have little time for experimentation, so I must say my goodbyes, for the present.
    It has been fun... :)
    I've been a Sky subscriber for many years (back before Sky+) and although I'm not a 'fanboi' I do think it's a good service.

However... :)

However considering the topic of this thread - read this:
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/Update-Next-software-release-for-1TB-DRX890-Samsung-and-Pace-HD/td-p/52573

For the record I will say that over the many years (must be going to 12) that I've been a Sky subscriber the vast majority of time it's worked perfectly. However there have been three periods when it didn't. Usually the result of firmware updates over which you have no control.

So:99% of the time it works very well. 1% of the time it can be borked and then you have the 'fun' of trying to get a solution from Sky while knowing that every month you are paying for something that isn't working properly because they broke it.
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed but if you just want the free to air and free to view stuff you do have to pay.
    Andrue wrote: »
    However if you aren't on any packages (ie;you're on Freesat from Sky) then you do have to pay £10pcm to record and that's contentious.

Come on, guys, we all know that.

I was just getting in first before one of the sky mob used the slight inaccuracy to do another sky puff piece.
    I am told that to get the £10.00 a month deal to record, you now have to have already subscribed, so if true it's no good buying a second hand Sky-HD box and coughing up for a freesat from sky card if you want the pvr capability. :eek:

Now that is interesting information and will take a little bit of wind out of the aforementioned sky mob's sails. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    DTG website shows current version 13 firmware OTA ending 1st June. I assume that version 15 will be OTA day after.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrissaf wrote: »
    DTG website shows current version 13 firmware OTA ending 1st June. I assume that version 15 will be OTA day after.

Barry on MHF has announced OTA of V15 will commence 1st June 2011.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Goodbye - wish I could say your postings will be missed.

There is no need for this comment.
    The guy gave an opinion what's wrong with that. ?:)
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icutedave wrote: »
    Goodbye - wish I could say your postings will be missed.

There is no need for this comment.
    The guy gave an opinion what's wrong with that. ?:)

No he gave the same information (and quoted is a fact not an opinion) on dozens of occasions, never missing the slightest chink in a thread to spout the same rubbish despite being told on numerous occasions that other users using the same firmware did not experience any of the symptoms.

He also stated (incorrectly) that his symptoms were experienced by many and when asked singulary failed to support that assertion. Basically a total spammmer. :eek:

According to this poster his box was fine and the firmware was faulty.

He never identified a repeatable procedure that anyone else could reproduce, had he done so then no doubt any fault would have been identified. He ignored advice to get his box changed under warranty. You just can't help some people :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    icutedave wrote: »

No he gave the same information (and quoted is a fact not an opinion) on dozens of occasions, never missing the slightest chink in a thread to spout the same rubbish despite being told on numerous occasions that other users using the same firmware did not experience any of the symptoms.

He also stated (incorrectly) that his symptoms were experienced by many and when asked singulary failed to support that assertion. Basically a total spammmer. :eek:

According to this poster his box was fine and the firmware was faulty.

He never identified a repeatable procedure that anyone else could reproduce, had he done so then no doubt any fault would have been identified. He ignored advice to get his box changed under warranty. You just can't help some people :D

@icutedave Thanks for the comment, apreciated. :) It prompted me to give one, final, response.

Graham, I have no idea why you are taking this so personally.

If you check my posts you will see that I have made many posts that are favorable towards Humax, I really have nothing against them or their HDR. At this moment in time, Sky meet our needs better, particularly as BBC3/4 have now been added to their Ireland EPG. (Had Humax fixed the Live Pause bug, I would have ditched Sky altogether. We Hillels are not immune from the financial meltdown over here. However, the family have got used to a fully functioning Live Pause since we bought our first hardisk recorder, at least 5 years ago.)

As for the stability problem, prior to the 2010 OTA Release, I can only refer to my earlier posts, below:
    hillel wrote: »
    You were fortunate, then. That was not the experience that many of us had. Despite the musings to the contrary on this forum, it was a software, rather than a hardware, issue. There are very few, if any, reports of the issue, since the last OTA software update.

Foxsat HDR 'freezes' every day or two requiring power cycle to fix it

Humax HDR - I few things I wished were different

IF Humax can't / won't fix, should we go to Watchdog?

FOXSAT HDR really getting to me now

Humax Foxsat-HDR freeze up

Humax Crashes a lot
    In my case, the problem dissappeared entirely, following the 2010 update. Other reports are also now infrequent. That is not the behaviour one would expect from a hardware issue.

Anyway, it really was fun - I haven't had so much fun since I played with a Yeasu FRG7, in my teens.

Didn't mean to offend you, Graham. Good Luck with your hobby. :)

Hillel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I have updated my Humax HDR over the weekend with the new loader and v 15 firmware...

the box is very stable, boots up fine and Iplayer seems a lot clearer picture quality... only 1 problem I have found is there is no sound on iplayer for the first 20 seconds of playback..

I have tried different iplayer programmes and it is always the same, no sound for the 1st 20 secs..

Andy