Powering on I want to default to Foxsat+ HDMI

goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is something that has bugged me for ages; when I first turn on the TV (Pansonic 32LXD85) it defaults to to analogue on the TV until the Foxsat+ is completely booted.That short period the sound is very loud, as that seems to suit my needs once I am on the PVR and HDMI. Until DSO in 2012 I want to keep analogue available for those few times both Foxsat feeds are occupied. The down-lead passes through a DVD recorder to the TV and the DVD recorder is connected by SCART to the TV.

To avoid the noisy analogue on boot up, I turn the PVR on first and let it boot, then the TV, for both using the PVR remote. To get full PVR functionality I have to press the PVR button once more.

How do I get the TV to accept automatically the signal from the PVR in preference to that coming from the terrestrial aerial. Nothing obvious seems to work.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Is the volume on the Foxsat turned up all the way to the max? If it is not then this may explain why it is not as loud as the TV's analogue signal.

TBH I avoid this problem anyway as I am in the habit of turning the volume all the way down when I turn my TV off. This helps me avoid spoilers when turning it back on to watch live sport on chase play. In fact I do the same with my hi-fi amp and the radio as it means you set the volume every time to the ideal level according to programme material, time of day and background environment.
  • goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV's volume is @Max, the Foxsat's not.

However both are set for volume, the chief thing I want to achieve is that on first boot and power on I go to the satellite signal and not the analogue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the TV's menu's is there an option to set power up default to AV?

Some Panasonic's I seem to recall have such an option

Automan
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goggled wrote: »
    The TV's volume is @Max, the Foxsat's not.

However both are set for volume, the chief thing I want to achieve is that on first boot and power on I go to the satellite signal and not the analogue.

I don't have a Panasonic TV but I set one up for a friend a while ago and pretty sure there's a menu option to tell the set which input should be selected at boot. I remember this because there only signal source was a cable box connected by hdmi. I was able to set up the TV to default to the hdmi input.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had a Sony LCD TV there was a huge disparity between the TVs Freeview sound level, the DVD sound level and the HDR sound level. I had turn the TV way up when using the HDR and would end up with bleeding eardrums if I did not remember to turn it down befor playing a DVD (or Freeview if I ever bothered with it which was and is extreemly rare). But with my Samsung Plasma all sound levels are the same! Also the Samsung is OK to switch on without the HDR being on without switching to Freeview.
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My new Panny has been set up to boot to the AV input [It has 9 others!!]..
    My wife still requires that the Old SKY box over-rules everything and yes it does look remarkably good..
    No problems at all now with sound although that 'RISE in VOLUME' was heard regularly before i Updated the Panny..Applied to many sets seemingly

Stan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the Panny remote does have input options; TV, AV, and SD Card. Also Setup has option for preference on Power On.

Been fiddling!!!!:eek::D

With remote to AV and Power On set to AV too, provided I turn the PVR on first, I get connected to the PVR's signal immediately. However none of the PVR's functions are enabled until I press the PVR button.

What else need I set on either PVR or TV to make this last press unnecessary?
  • riggieriggie Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Hi goggled
    I am not quite sure what your after really but here's a few ideas.
    If you want the analogue TV to remain as the TV's first boot, select a channel that has no sound (static is what I use) and it will always use this channel on start up until you want to view a different channel (just remember to select it when finished viewing) so if you switch on the TV first there will be no sound, then as soon as you switch on the Foxsat it will change over when it sees the control signal..
    Why do you want to view analogue if your TV has Terrestrial Digital as this would not effect the Foxsat+ using both it's Satellite Tuners for recording ?
    Another idea, have you tried the Volume Correction to balance the TV with the Foxsat. This should be in the Main Menu /Sound / Menu 1. This is where you can set the volume for different input modes.
    Another idea, set the TV to power on to HDMI this way you will have no sound until you press the foxsat on button. Then when you want to view Analogue TV just press the TV button on the top of your remote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want analogue at first boot
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goggled wrote: »
    I don't want analogue at first boot

You need hotel mode setting on the TV to change the startup input preference.
    I have a Panasonic and I've done it so I know it's possible.

Try this:-

Press and hold v/- on the TV panel and than press the TV/AV button on the remote 3 times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    You need hotel mode setting on the TV to change the startup input preference.
    I have a Panasonic and I've done it so I know it's possible.

Try this:-

Press and hold v/- on the TV panel and than press the TV/AV button on the remote 3 times.

Where did that come from?
    Secret menu !!
    I got the 'hotel' screen but
    it didn't work on my Panny.

David
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Panny is this years model and the controls are all at the back of the set..
    with separate buttons fpr AV and TV..
    hence i got the 'Hotel Mode' using the V- and the AV button..
    I was intrigued by.

. 'Private Information'...........'KEEP'

Makes one wonder..What about the DATA Act?

Stan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    My Panny is this years model and the controls are all at the back of the set..
    with separate buttons fpr AV and TV..
    hence i got the 'Hotel Mode' using the V- and the AV button..
    Stan

My Panny is 2 years old (one careful owner)
    It is linked to the HDR via a HDMI lead.
    I can get the "hotel mode" as suggested by jwball & stanandjan but the TV still comes on first.
    Any ideas ?
    It is annoying especially if the sound on TV is too high. Though I used the Hotel menu to limit the sound on TV.

David
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Great post!

My plasma is 4 years old and it worked for me. You need to select hotel mode ON and then change the required input.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotel mode, I'll have a go. It's not something I have ever given any attention to, not being a hotelier.:D
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWIZZ? wrote: »
    My Panny is 2 years old (one careful owner)
    It is linked to the HDR via a HDMI lead.
    I can get the "hotel mode" as suggested by jwball & stanandjan but the TV still comes on first.
    Any ideas ?
    It is annoying especially if the sound on TV is too high. Though I used the Hotel menu to limit the sound on TV.

David

Have you switched hotel mode on and selected the required input? My TV is 3 years old and it works, it also works on a friends new TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    Have you switched hotel mode on and selected the required input? My TV is 3 years old and it works, it also works on a friends new TV.

Thanks for that !
    I eventually saw that the slot below "hotel mode" selected "initial input" I had been trying, illogically, to change "initial input" on the Humax remote.

There are other "secret" menus hidden away, anyone know where there is a review or working method available?

Hold "-/V" & press OK 3 times does some check on SD card mode. Mine fails !?

Hold "-/V" & press Option 3 times does some check on screen colours & shades.

Have avoided dabbling lest I need a factory reset.

David
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I answered my own question by Googling
    "panasonic tv hidden menus"

Even has some from ds forums !
    Proceed with caution !!!!!

David