Options

Rate the snooker pundits/commentators

footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,212
Forum Member
O.K it's Awards time from the forum members to the BBC snooker team.

I'd like you to rate the pundits out of ten and the same with commentators.

My votes.

Pundits : Steve Davis 9/10-always brutally honest and very eloquent with it, not to mention funny.
John Parrott 7/10 slightly softer with his approach but still likeable, loses points for the softly softly bit.
Jimmy White, hard to judge on the strength of two days 6/10
Commentators

1. Clive Everton, 9/10 the boss, knows his stuff and is honest with his delivery and never biased
2. Dennis Taylor, 8/10, always amusing with plenty of interesting stories
3.Neal Foulds, 7/10 has made a good impact as a commentator as is knowledgable and fair
4. Terry Griffiths 6/10 has the technical knowledge but is still learning the trade
5. John Virgo, 5/10 not my favourite, only ever states the obvious
6. Willie Thorne 4/10 see John Virgo

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Davis 8/10 - as you said, witty and really knows his stuff. Has to be respected

John Parrott 7/10 - Good humoured and a great fan of the purist

John Virgo - 9/10 - knows the game so well, and gets into the players minds
    Dennis Taylor - 9/10 - Incredible foresight and terrific tactical mind
    Clive Everton - 8/10 - Knows all there is to know about snooker and its history but voice a tad dull
    Neal Foulds - 7/10 - Good newcomer but lacks the big match knowledge
    Terry Griffiths - 6/10 - Better as a coach, good insight but slightly boring
    Willie Thorne - 5/10 - Likeable guy but talks far, far too much. A good commentator knows when NOT to speak as well as knowing when to speak

Personally, I always rated Ray Edmonds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like listening to Willie Thorne as he always has a bet on and you can tell who it is he has backed within seconds usually.

Foulds is very good and underused imo.
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote:

My votes.

Pundits : Steve Davis 10/10 there is noone better at breaking down a frame and analysing what might happen next. And lets face it, he's forgotten more then even a lot of other current/ex-pros will ever know. Articulate but never in danger of patronising/condescending, the quintessential expert.

John Parrott 7/10 suffers a bit because when its his turn Davis has normally said everything left to say. Wish he was a bit more "Greavsie" to Davis as "Saint"... :p

Jimmy White 5/10 I was worried about him, being such an instinctive player, doesn't seem to add anything to the coverage, if I'm being blunt.

Commentators

1. Clive Everton, 8/10 clearly encyclopedaic but loses a point with me for being a bit dour and sententious.

2. Dennis Taylor, 9/10, the master of the angles, can always tell in an instant whether a shot is on and mixes it with a super sense of humour

3. Neal Foulds, 6/10 find him generally forgettable

4. Terry Griffiths 7/10 absolutely fine but needs to play the straight man to Virgo or Thorne to get away with not sending you to sleep...

5. Willie Thorne 4/10 seems to never shut up which for a snooker commentator is a poor quality, seemingly obsessed with a player having already clinched the frame even when they still need two reds and a colour....

6. John Virgo 3/10, 1 for when he was on BigBreak, 3 bonus marks for his catchphrase "wheres the white going...WHERE'S THE WHITE GOING....." but minus-1 for turning up, because I wish he hadn't.... :p

Personally, I was sorry to see Ray Edmonds pushed out and I'd like to see Phil Yates getting used in the box as well.

Sorry to bring Stuart Storey into this thread as well but its further evidence of how the BBC don't seem to value the true voices these days in favour of "names" from days gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote:

My votes.

Pundits : Steve Davis 10/10 there is noone better at breaking down a frame and analysing what might happen next. And lets face it, he's forgotten more then even a lot of other current/ex-pros will ever know. Articulate but never in danger of patronising/condescending, the quintessential expert.

John Parrott 7/10 suffers a bit because when its his turn Davis has normally said everything left to say. Wish he was a bit more "Greavsie" to Davis as "Saint"... :p

Jimmy White 5/10 I was worried about him, being such an instinctive player, doesn't seem to add anything to the coverage, if I'm being blunt.

Commentators

1. Clive Everton, 8/10 clearly encyclopedaic but loses a point with me for being a bit dour and sententious.

2. Dennis Taylor, 9/10, the master of the angles, can always tell in an instant whether a shot is on and mixes it with a super sense of humour

4. Terry Griffiths 7/10 absolutely fine but needs to play the straight man to Virgo or Thorne to get away with not sending you to sleep...

5. Willie Thorne 4/10 seems to never shut up which for a snooker commentator is a poor quality, seemingly obsessed with a player having already clinched the frame even when they still need two reds and a colour....

6. John Virgo 3/10, 1 for when he was on BigBreak, 3 bonus marks for his catchphrase "wheres the white going...WHERE'S THE WHITE GOING....." but minus-1 for turning up, because I wish he hadn't.... :p

Personally, I was sorry to see Ray Edmonds pushed out and I'd like to see Phil Yates getting used in the box as well.

Sorry to bring Stuart Storey into this thread as well but its further evidence of how the BBC don't seem to value the true voices these days in favour of "names" from days gone.

and can I just say Miss that Faxy and I didnt copy on some of our answers or comments
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive Everton is fantastic, A real love for the game shines thru from him I think.
    Neal Foulds is prooving to be very good as well, he gives a real insiders view to the game.
    John Virgo is probably one of the very worst commentators in any sport for my money, someone needs to tell him his job is to commentate, not opinionate at every given chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and can I just say Miss that Faxy and I didnt copy on some of our answers or comments

I think we do differ on the merits of JV though.....

......WHERE'S THE WHITE GOING......!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    footygirl wrote:

My votes.

Commentators

Loved the description of Davis and Parrott as the Saint and Greavsie. You could also say that Steve is the Alan Hansen to John's Mark Lawrenson
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote:
    You could also say that Steve is the Alan Hansen to John's Mark Lawrenson

I think Parrott is a bit more of a Trevor Brooking to Davis as Hansen, i.e. wants to get off the fence every now and then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is why Steve is so good, because he is brutally honest and he is not prepared to insult the intelligence of those watching. If it needs to be said, he'll say it. And good for him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote:

As we have stated together on a previous post we are both fans of Stuart Storey and his type, but yes I feel they are being pushed aside.

Also I have mentioned how much I liked Ray Edmonds commentaries, he really is excellent.

Phil Yates does a very good job on Sky and on the BBC Interactive golf. But, I think it's his accent that probably lets him down. I am not saying it's right, far from it to be honest, but I do think that and the fact he isnt an ex player could be his downfall. Clive Everton is probably the exception to the rule as he has been there so long now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And Phil is a recognised journalist, so he brings some needed objectivity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Yates does a very good job on Sky and on the BBC Interactive golf. But, I think it's his accent that probably lets him down.

That is my only possible explanation - the accent.

I think Ray French could virtually be the last of those with a regional accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think the Beeb should forget that objectivity is vital in commentary/punditry and should think about this when selecting people.
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course with all this mentioning of commentators I think the legend that is whispering Ted Lowe deserves a mention, they don't make commentators like him anymore.

Just listening to him on the mike makes everything sound more exciting! it was all in the voice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can I have your votes please psycho ned :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although not BBC, I've enjoyed listening to Mike Hallet on Eurosport as his commentary really adds to the match. Joe Johnson on the other hand is best given a wide berth..
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although not BBC, I've enjoyed listening to Mike Hallet on Eurosport as his commentary really adds to the match. Joe Johnson on the other hand is best given a wide berth..

Hallett is good I agree

Clive Everton is Mr.Snooker- the thing I like best about him is that he ALWAYS calls the players by their surnames. No danger of old Clive getting too pally or not being objective.

Whereas with JV it's 'Ronnie this' and 'Jimmy that'

Don't know why but thats important to me.

Also rate Dennis Taylor and Neal Foulds and agree that Phil Yates should have a much bigger role.
    Give him a chance- people like Adrian Chiles after all.

P.S Don't understand how Darren can say Everton's voice is a tad dull but liked Ray Edmonds.
    What a voice that was, a big growling epiglottal rumble.
    Always sounded like the sort of bloke who would give you a clip round the ear pretty smartish and send you on your way, if he didn't like the cut of your jib.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote:
    P.S Don't understand how Darren can say Everton's voice is a tad dull but liked Ray Edmonds.
    What a voice that was, a big growling epiglottal rumble.
    Always sounded like the sort of bloke who would give you a clip round the ear pretty smartish and send you on your way, if he didn't like the cut of your jib.

To be honest it could be down to an accent thing again. Sometimes the Welsh accent can sound a bit "droney" to me. And I think that's what it is with Clive Everton. Ray Edmonds was your typical bluff northerner and I like that.

I think the only name that hasn't being mentioned at all is dear old Jack Karnham. I used to like him a lot. Always sounded like a friendly uncle.
  • Options
    THE IRON FISTTHE IRON FIST Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I watch it with the sound off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Steve and John, how do you rate them
  • Options
    Coach BrakettCoach Brakett Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Steve Davis 5/10 You're not funny Steve!! Needs a charisma transplant. That filler with him playing a frame with some celeb is awful.
    John Parrott 8/10 by far the best studio pundit, Ken Doherty may give him a run for his money if he does a bit of punditry this year.
    Jimmy White 4/10 That is based on what I've seen so far. Mumbles too much and looks really uncomfortable.

Clive Everton, 7/10 A bit dull for my liking, the Peter Allis of snooker.
    Dennis Taylor, 9/10 Loads of personality plus he knows his stuff.
    Neal Foulds 8/10 I'm liking him a lot.
    Terry Griffiths 8/10 Comes out with some very funny lines at times.
    John "pot as many balls as you can" Virgo 3/10 - Very annoying.
    Willie Thorne 6/10 In some matches he's a 9/10 and in others 4/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Davis no charisma-he's got plenty
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Davis 9/10 - The expert! Knows his stuff.

John Parrott 8/10 - again, knows what he's talking about and is a good foil for Davis!

Jimmy White 5/10 - early days but does look a bit awkward at the moment.

Commentators:
    Clive Everton 8/10 - always knowledgable, if a little dull.
    Dennis Taylor 9/10 - interesting to listen to and doesn't distract from the game.
    Neal Foulds 7/10 - pretty good, sticks to the facts.
    Terry Griffiths 6/10 - good, but I find his accent a little distracting sometimes!
    John Virgo 5/10 - an expert - at stating the blinding obvious!
    Willie Thorne 6/10 - Likes the sound of his own voice too much!
  • Options
    Coach BrakettCoach Brakett Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    footygirl wrote:
    Davis no charisma-he's got plenty

As with most things it's a matter of opinion. Those who worship him are welcome to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So we agree to differ do we-fair enough