Whats wrong with my cat?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
Forum Member
hello DSer's!

need some adivce about my cat.

over the past 2 weeks or so i have noticed alot of wee tiny scabs all over her, mainly around the neck, and she has also been scratching alot recently. But today, i was stroking her back, and from the tail to the middle is like one giant scab. She hasnt got fleas as she was treated for fleas about a month ago, so im quite confused. I tried to get a look at it but she wasnt having any of it, so im assuming its sensitive to the touch. Anyone know what this could be?

Comments

• LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    What product did you use for a flea treatment? Unfortunately many treatments are ineffective. (If she was treated four weeks ago she will need doing again now anyway.)

It is most likely to be fleas so I would rule them out for definite first. There are other irritants like harvest mites but very unlikely in this weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Lippincote wrote: »
    What product did you use for a flea treatment? Unfortunately many treatments are ineffective. (If she was treated four weeks ago she will need doing again now anyway.)

It is most likely to be fleas so I would rule them out for definite first. There are other irritants like harvest mites but very unlikely in this weather.

I'm not too sure which product it was, she was brought to the vet to get it done and my mum was told that it will last up to three months. Could it be anything to do with stress? I'm just taking a guess because a black cat that we had, (was a kitten of ziggys, my cat with the problem) had to be put down about 3 weeks ago because of kidney failure, and wondering if this could have had an effect on ziggy?
    Forum Member
    Hi shereena, I have not heard of a flea treatment which lasts three months. All the ones I have used (drop on treatments like Advocate) only claim to last four to five weeks.

Sorry to hear about the other cat being put to sleep.

I think you need to take ziggy back to the vet, sounds like she's in a bad way with the scabs. It could be stress related, or it could be something else more straightforward like fleas - the vet will be able to tell you for sure what you need to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be fleas. It does depend on the size of your cat as frontine doesnt work on cats over 6kgs, The manufactures of frontline told me this because one of mine is 9kgs and it was pointless to use it as it wouldnt work. It also could be the flea treatment as well. One of mine does exactly the same and has a big sratch on her back. My vet reccomends you deflea them ever 5wks. Also you should do your house at the same time if its realy bad on the animal. I only use the spray from the vets. My 9kg cat also has wet escma and at one point had to where a collar to stop him scratching.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shereena wrote: »
    over the past 2 weeks or so i have noticed alot of wee tiny scabs all over her, mainly around the neck, and she has also been scratching alot recently. But today, i was stroking her back, and from the tail to the middle is like one giant scab. She hasnt got fleas as she was treated for fleas about a month ago, so im quite confused. I tried to get a look at it but she wasnt having any of it, so im assuming its sensitive to the touch. Anyone know what this could be?
    You need to see a vet, but it could be millinary dermatitus - essentially an allergic reaction to flea bites. The itching causes the cat to over-groom, which in turn leads to the scabs.

As well as dealing with possible flea re-infestation (did you treat the house as well as the cat?), she may need a steroid injection to break the itch-scratch cycle .
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Hi shereena, I have not heard of a flea treatment which lasts three months. All the ones I have used (drop on treatments like Advocate) only claim to last four to five weeks.

Sorry to hear about the other cat being put to sleep.

I think you need to take ziggy back to the vet, sounds like she's in a bad way with the scabs. It could be stress related, or it could be something else more straightforward like fleas - the vet will be able to tell you for sure what you need to do.

When we lived in the U.K., our cats used to get flea injections every 3 months and they never had fleas...:confused:
    Forum Member
    Ah yes of course, there is a product called Program

http://www.ah.novartis.com/cab/en/cat_fleas_treatments_injectable.shtml

However it sounds as if whatever was used is not working for this cat and she needs further help. It is sometimes recommended that Program is used in conjunction with another treatment, particularly on pets which are very sensitive to flea bites - and it sounds like this may be the case with this cat. Definitely needs another vet visit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Program is a contraceptive for fleas, it stops them breeding, ir doesn't kill them or stop them biting so it's not very useful.
    The tests on program were done on indoor-only housed cats so once their fleas died (of old age?!) there was no re-infestation and so the bites stopped. As Lippincote says it was in any case advised that it be used alongside other fleacidal products so you needn't wait for them to die of old age.
    In real life with indoor/outdoor cats they just pick up new fleas from outside.
    Dead fleas can't bite, or breed, so better to just kill them than to chemically neuter them.
    Millimary (so named as the scabs can feel to the fingers like like bits of tiny millet seed!) dematitus/millimary exzema (sp) can be a physical reaction to something e.g flea saliva, droppings etc but it can also be related to stress so it could certainly be relevant that this cat recently lost it's companion.
    This cat could also be affects by it's owners' upset at losing the other cat, or if may be stressed if neighbouring cats are more inclined to invade its territory without the back up of the other cat's presence to dissuade them, or to provide moral support to this cat.
  • Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may actually be allergic to the fleas themselves.

My mothers cat is like this.

Edit: Sorry just realised this has already been mentioned.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    You need to see a vet, but it could be millinary dermatitus - essentially an allergic reaction to flea bites. The itching causes the cat to over-groom, which in turn leads to the scabs.

As well as dealing with possible flea re-infestation (did you treat the house as well as the cat?), she may need a steroid injection to break the itch-scratch cycle .

This is what I thought too. Does sound as though she still has fleas to cause this.