Options

Accelerator Jammed Whilst Driving

Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just looking for some advice please before I take my car to the garage.

Yesterday afternoon I was driving up a hill with my accelerator to the floor when suddenly it jammed, it was one of the scariest things ever to happen to me, especially driving as I only passed in January. Anyway I pressed my clutch and break and managed to come to a stop and then turned my engine off.

Luckily this happened right near a garage and the mechanic restarted it for me and bought the car to a safer place... he said when the ignition had been turned on and off its reset something.

I was able to drive the car home with no problems. I'm just wondering though what was the cause of this and is it likely to happen again?

Thanks for any help

Its a 2002 Yaris.

Comments

• Options
    Captain AwesomeCaptain Awesome Posts: 2,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about cars and I don't drive, but I'd have thought that if it's happened once, it could happen again.

Think you need to find out what actually caused it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about cars and I don't drive, but I'd have thought that if it's happened once, it could happen again.

Think you need to find out what actually caused it!

I do fully intend to take it to the garage, I've just been awake half the night wondering so I thought I'd ask on here :)
  • Options
    Geeza BrakeGeeza Brake Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Maybe a more mundane answer is that the pedal needs some WD40 to stop it sticking when you press it to the floor..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a more mundane answer is that the pedal needs some WD40 to stop it sticking when you press it to the floor..

I don't think its that at all. I've Googled but nothing at all has come up about WD40, and hints at it being something internally but isn't specific as to what it could be.

It isn't a rust bucket or showing any signs as such of it being the actual pedal.
  • Options
    rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or use a lubricant, instead.

The original aerosol is not intended as a lubricant and is too thin, and contains volatile components that atre likely to wash away some of the grease added during manufacture.

OP: This is safety involved - go to a toyota dealer, point out the recall and get them to sort this under their own liabilty.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said you had your foot pressed to the floor, my guess is that you jammed the throttle pedal by pressing it down to hard, you shouldn't need to go pedal to the metal going up a hill, but change to a lower gear.
    Dave
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    As rifleman19 pointed out, there's a safety recall for it - contact Toyota.
  • Options
    collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have additional floor mats in the car? If these aren't fastened down correctly they can creep forward and eventually snag the pedal
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collincn wrote: »
    Do you have additional floor mats in the car? If these aren't fastened down correctly they can creep forward and eventually snag the pedal

This is a far more likely explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collincn wrote: »

Hi, the car matt is fixed to the floor. So it can't be that either

I've been try Toyota all morning but I can't get through yet so I'll just keep trying.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cunny Funt wrote: »

Yesterday afternoon I was driving up a hill with my accelerator to the floor when suddenly it jammed, it was one of the scariest things ever to happen to me, especially driving as I only passed in January. Anyway I pressed my clutch and break and managed to come to a stop and then turned my engine off.

Luckily this happened right near a garage and the mechanic restarted it for me and bought the car to a safer place... he said when the ignition had been turned on and off its reset something.

I was able to drive the car home with no problems. I'm just wondering though what was the cause of this and is it likely to happen again?

Thanks for any help

Its a 2002 Yaris.

Many Toyota's had this problem - google it.
    Many other brands include a safety system called "Brake to idle", but at the time Toyota thought their cars were so good they didn't need to put such a system on them.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was able to drive the car home with no problems. I'm just wondering though what was the cause of this and is it likely to
    happen again?

Thanks for any help

Its a 2002 Yaris.

By a spooky coincidence this happened to me in December. Going up a hill accelerator jammed full on. Very scary indeed. Brakes didn't stop the car and I had to switch of the Engine. The garage fitted a new accelerator but said they could not identify the problem. My car is a 5 year old Toyota Auris.
    There have been several recalls on mine. Including new gear box and electric windows.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safety recalls for the Yaris are listed here:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&resultString=%28TOYOTA%20YARIS%29%20%20for%20the%20date%20range%2001/Jan/1992%20to%2001/Jan/2013&tx=

There is one that refers to "accelerator pedal may fail to return to idle"*, but that applies to more recent versions of the Yaris than the OP's, which is a 2002 model. (It's quite alarming how many of the recalls say "fire may occur"!)

It is quite possible that a loose car mat may have caused the accelerator pedal to stick, and that's something I've experienced myself on a different car. However, if the OP is sure that isn't the cause of the problem, then he should certainly have it investigated by a Toyota dealer or another competent garage.

*See page 3 of the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmp wrote: »
    You said you had your foot pressed to the floor, my guess is that you jammed the throttle pedal by pressing it down to hard, you shouldn't need to go pedal to the metal going up a hill, but change to a lower gear.
    Dave

a car in which you cant put the gas pedal right to the floor in case it makes the car go wrong?

Bit limiting on a small engine car, and makes kick down a bit tricky.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for any help

Its a 2002 Yaris.

Here are the recalls relating to the Yaris, 2002 is too early for the accelerator recall......

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=3&pagesize=10&resultString=%28TOYOTA%20YARIS%29%20%20for%20the%20date%20range%2001/Jan/1992%20to%2001/Jan/2013&tx=

I would still get on to Toyota about it though.

If you can't get in touch with Toyota then spray WD40 on the throttle body pivots inside and outside the throttle body.

Also check the free movement of the accelerator pedal inside the car, however, there could be an electrical problem that caused the fault.
    Summat wrote: »
    Or use a lubricant, instead.

The original aerosol is not intended as a lubricant and is too thin, and contains volatile components that atre likely to wash away some of the grease added during manufacture.

OP: This is safety involved - go to a toyota dealer, point out the recall and get them to sort this under their own liabilty.

WD40 is an excellent lubricant.

http://wd40.com/uses-tips/
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a mat got in the wrong position, more common than you'd expect! The reason it happened in my car the other week was because the accelerator cable had frayed where it joins onto the carburettor linkage and when I pressed the pedal it was pulling the frayed cable into the sheath which was then jamming.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    Could be a mat got in the wrong position, more common than you'd expect! The reason it happened in my car the other week was because the accelerator cable had frayed where it joins onto the carburettor linkage and when I pressed the pedal it was pulling the frayed cable into the sheath which was then jamming.

You've not bothered to read the thread then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe, ... In 1982.
    For à long time there hasnt been a carb or cable. Modern cars have lock on points for model specific mâts to stop the mat slipping around.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the accelerator cable had frayed where it joins onto the carburettor linkage

Which models still have carburettors?
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've not bothered to read the thread then?

I had but I missed the reference, only one of my two suggestions related to the mats anyway.
    Which models still have carburettors?

None as far as I know, I was merely saying what the cause of this symptom was in my car last week. A 2002 Yaris is probably not drive by wire so the chances are that it has a cable.