Options

Price of a pint/loaf

Comments

• Options
    AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    What seemed ridiculous to me was Cameron said a loaf would cost something north of £1, but was pushed specifically the price of a Tesco value sliced white loaf.
    Totally stupid question.

To make it worse radio4 this evening had a whole piece with some woman berating him for saying he used a breadmaker. Apparently this is far worse quality bread than the cheapest supermarket loaf and we should all go out to artisan bakers to buy a loaf as nothing else is worth eating. (I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that was the gist of her argument).

Journalism is going downhill rapidly.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have literally no idea what any of the individual prices of my weekly shopping is, with the exception of the tins of tuna, which are £1.07.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have a clue about the price of either
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    It is, but people in general will know what loaf they buy and how much milk they buy and the corresponding prices.

Anyone involved in purchasing these items with any regularity would just say. "I buy so, so for so, so pence".

Very clearly neither Cameron takes note of the price and/or doesn't do the shopping.

I don't find it a big deal, but I find it rather lame to make excuses for them. They are both clearly out of touch when it comes to shopping for the basics.
    The question was about an "everyday" loaf of bread, which is the cheapest. I regularly buy bread, but wouldn't be able to answer the question as I tend to buy wholemeal bread. If anything, you want to be worried if they did know the answer. There are more important things for them to be doing than price checks in the shops. People would be complaining about the cost of security, just so he could go shopping.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I once saw Paxo in the BA business lounge at Heathrow knocking back free champagne as if it was water. I bet he hasn't bought a pint of milk in years either.

You sure it was the Club lounge? You have to beg for it there... :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    It's just nit bread and milk he is out if touch with everything, do you honestly think he knows the price if a litre of petrol or even care...does he know anything outside of his privileged lifestyle...has he or any of his family ever had to wait months for a vital operation, the answer us no....the bloke does not give a stuff for the working class.

Good to see you back, Neil :)

I'd be more concerned if a PM did his own shopping and filled up his own petrol tank. He has more important things to do IMO.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AhlS wrote: »
    What seemed ridiculous to me was Cameron said a loaf would cost something north of £1, but was pushed specifically the price of a Tesco value sliced white loaf.
    Totally stupid question.

To make it worse radio4 this evening had a whole piece with some woman berating him for saying he used a breadmaker. Apparently this is far worse quality bread than the cheapest supermarket loaf and we should all go out to artisan bakers to buy a loaf as nothing else is worth eating. (I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that was the gist of her argument).

Journalism is going downhill rapidly.

Just imagine the media uproar if Cameron said the only bread he ate was a £5 load from a poncy "artisan " bakery in Kensington.

Politicians can't win when answering questions like this. They either look out of touch or have obviously been briefed by a junior researcher like when Brown said his favourite band were the Arctic Monkeys.

Cameron's first answer of "about a pound" was reasonable and that should have been the end of the matter.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no idea about this but it almost makes me feel sorry for Cameron for the first time ever. Surely those answers were pretty damn close especially the bread which varies massively in price as others have mentioned.

If you want to demonstrate that Cameron is privileged and out of touch dont ask him about bread ask him about the Bullingdon Club:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/04/david-cameron-bullingdon-club
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think this is a silly story. The cost of products like a pint of milk or a loaf of bread vary enormously. What kind of bread? Where are you buying it from? The same is also true, to a lesser extent of milk. It's unfair to judge someone on whether or not they know the answer.

Since I never buy bread and very seldom buy milk by the pint I'd find it pretty tough. I think a pint of milk at my local corner shop is about 60p and maybe you could get a loaf of average store-own brand bread for 80p? Total guess. :o
  • Options
    AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a literal question

The point behind the question, and the argument, is that these things are basic necessities in everyday life, especially for families, and it's these people dealing with these problems that are not only ignored by those in power but outright vilified by the men at the very top of the pile

Of course politicians are out of touch, they have no concept of the reality people have to deal with, that is not their fault but they are the ones who say they defend the common man and the working class, the party that are 'for hardworking people'

Hard work is raising a family in this day and age with no jobs available & being constantly put down and vilified by the very people who have the responsibility to help

It's not about the price of bread, milk, cheese or mince (that last one might just be a Scottish thing) but about the cost and needs of those, quite ironically, on the breadline

But that doesn't make headlines or sell papers
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Equally you could ask how much is the national debt? How much does the government have to pay out in interest servicing that debt? These are the sorts of questions that most ordinary people wouldn't know the answer to, but I reckon it's a damn sight more important for the Prime Minister and the Chancellor to know the answers to these than the hugely variable prices of bread and milk. This is the world politicians have to live in, and grappling with such issues is just as difficult as it is for people who struggle with their own finances. Maybe some were taken in by a previous government who thought the solution to everything was to keep borrowing more.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AceMcCloud wrote: »
    It's not a literal question

The point behind the question, and the argument, is that these things are basic necessities in everyday life, especially for families, and it's these people dealing with these problems that are not only ignored by those in power but outright vilified by the men at the very top of the pile

Of course politicians are out of touch, they have no concept of the reality people have to deal with, that is not their fault but they are the ones who say they defend the common man and the working class, the party that are 'for hardworking people'

Hard work is raising a family in this day and age with no jobs available & being constantly put down and vilified by the very people who have the responsibility to help

It's not about the price of bread, milk, cheese or mince (that last one might just be a Scottish thing) but about the cost and needs of those, quite ironically, on the breadline

But that doesn't make headlines or sell papers

When you put it like that, perhaps they should have some idea, after all, these people are supposed to be in touch with folks cost of living at a time of austerity.

Personally I can't get too wound up about it though, Tories being out of touch with folks basic needs. is not like something we weren't already aware of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    All this shows how stupid and out of touch journalists are far more than politicians.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    You sure it was the Club lounge? You have to beg for it there... :cry:
    Free flowing in the Concorde Room :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a clue about the price of either
    Nor would I. I'd love to ask Nick Ferrari what the price of a pot of Yoplait is.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this shows how stupid and out of touch journalists are far more than politicians.

Indeed. Pretty sure we've not been able to buy pints of milk since 1999 or earlier. Yet there are still out of touch journalists-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24345784

Q Knowing the price of milk is a classic measure of being in touch with reality. How much is a pint of pasturised milk, according to the ONS?

A It's 46p. The ONS figures quote 75p as the top of the price range within which 80% of the prices fell.

So err.. a 1 litre jug of semi-skimmed is around 82p, divide that by 1.759...
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only pint that I have bought in the last 30 years has been beer - milk and bread are the sort of things er indoors chucks in the trolley that my only function is to push :p
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I don't find it a big deal, but I find it rather lame to make excuses for them. They are both clearly out of touch when it comes to shopping for the basics.

I'm not making excuses for them - it's just a fact.
    I'd be useless at guessing the prices of nearly everything in our regular shopping basket. Not sure what that supposedly makes me out of touch with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Free flowing in the Concorde Room :D;)

To steal Labour's line that they and their cheerleaders will use until the election.

You're an out of touch Tory :p
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy milk (wife is allergic to dairy products) so there's only me drinking it, but I don't care about the price of a pint - I buy Gold Top for cereal milk (I prefer the taste to "regular" milk) and I buy 2 pints of milk a week for cups of tea etc.....

I'd say in total I pay about £5 a week for my milk consumption, and I'm happy at that cost - why? because I prefer the milk I'm choosing to buy! if someone said "Oh you're paying too much!!" then I'd say "It's my money that I've earned, why can't I spend it how I choose to?"

I don't see the whole point of the argument here but it's something that cheap "journalists" need to come up with in order to appear to be "edgy" against the Government of the day
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Nor would I. I'd love to ask Nick Ferrari what the price of a pot of Yoplait is.

Fatboy Ferrari only knows the price of M&S bread pudding.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused.

An olive ciabatta from our local artisan baker is £2.85.

Where's all this "£1" coming from? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    To steal Labour's line that they and their cheerleaders will use until the election.

You're an out of touch Tory :p
    The cheek of it :p

We can certainly expect this line to be used ad infinitum, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Fatboy Ferrari only knows the price of M&S bread pudding.
    Do you think he even knows that? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I'm confused.

An olive ciabatta from our local artisan baker is £2.85.

Where's all this "£1" coming from? :confused:
    According to LBC this morning, a Value loaf of bread is 47p, though where from and what its ingredients are is anyone's guess.