Do you think domesticated animals will evolve the power of speech eventually?

kathplatformkathplatform Posts: 738
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you?

Will you enjoy it or will it freak you out?

What do you think your current pets would say if they could talk? Would they become a member of DS? Would DS have a forum for certain animals, or would that be seregation, same as why we don't have black / gay forums etc...

Will animals join dating websites?

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be easy enough for cats, they only need to learn two words - "no" and "more".
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I hope not.Our pets have seen things I wouldn't want repeated.
  • mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if they did speak then they'd be more intelligent than some posters on DS however, I'd imagine the lack of opposable thumbs might hinder the switiching on of PC and typing on DS. Who knows though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parrots ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pets do talk dont they :confused:;) i think if my dogs could talk they would say no to the baths, and if my cat could talk he would tell me where to go when i came at him with the frontline, he hates the stuff. id love it if my fish could talk, that would be awesome :D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you mean is it possible that what we now consider domestic pets will evolve into species that are capable of abstract thought and have the ability to verbally express it, then yes I think it is possible.

Will it freak me out? No. I'll have been dead for millions of years.

Evolution takes time.

If you mean animals with the ability to communicate with each other and humans, then they already do. My dogs know about 40 verbal commands and hand signals. I can mostly tell what they are trying to communicate from their body language and vocals (bark, growl, whine). While my cats know rather fewer verbal cues (or chose to respond to fewer verbal cues;)) we understand each other well enough to rub by.

Today I leaned the dog body language for 'Mum, I'm f'cked off with this bliddy snow!' and cat for 'What possessed you to cover the outside with cold white stuff, stupid slave!':D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they ever did have the ability to speak as a human does I might have to rethink where mine sleep and stop them sitting next to the shower when I am in there !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean is it possible that what we now consider domestic pets will evolve into species that are capable of abstract thought and have the ability to verbally express it, then yes I think it is possible.

Will it freak me out? No. I'll have been dead for millions of years.

Evolution takes time.

If you mean animals with the ability to communicate with each other and humans, then they already do. My dogs know about 40 verbal commands and hand signals. I can mostly tell what they are trying to communicate from their body language and vocals (bark, growl, whine). While my cats know rather fewer verbal cues (or chose to respond to fewer verbal cues;)) we understand each other well enough to rub by.

Today I leaned the dog body language for 'Mum, I'm f'cked off with this bliddy snow!' and cat for 'What possessed you to cover the outside with cold white stuff, stupid slave!':D

:D:D:D

I already knew the princess-dog body language for "Go out in that?! Not on your life if I can help it! :eek:" , (she was reminded of the human for sorry but you have to at least go out and pee.)
    We also revisited the hooligan-dog body language for "Yippee, fun white stuff again, waahay" :)
    The cats were too busy snoozing in the warm after their breakfast to say anything ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RED DWARF will explain it all. Oh and the answer if you can't watch Red Dwarf is yes.
    Mind you it takes a few million years though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of our pets have already got the power of speech ~ not perhaps the English language yet (although they understand a lot more than we think!) but communication through body language, facial expressions & verbal communications that they are physically capable of. It's just up to us to understand what they are trying to tell us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Our cats have taught us cat language..
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and I thought that I was the only one who had ever wondered this!

As a child I used to wonder if the cat was able to talk and that it was just because no-one had ever taken the time to teach her, that she couldn't!

I started with simple stuff like telling her that her tail was her tail and counting her legs from 1 to 4.

Alas, it didn't work and I realised that it just wasn't meant to be and that other people were right and that I was just being stupid!

....or was I? Stressmonkey's post has given me food for thought.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog knows and can give the answers in perfectly spoken English to all of the following questions:

1. What is the long grass at the edge of a golf course called?
    2. What word could be used to describe a preliminary sketch?
    3. What is an uncut diamond usually called?
    4. What word describes someone who is unpleasantly stern?
    5. What would you call a high and tight frilly collar?
    6. How would you describe Katie Price?

He's exceptionally clever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That made me LOL literally!

If that's the case, my cat can talk too. I have just asked her to make me a cup of tea, but she told me she couldn't, She said "me how" :)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    post not appearing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, that's scary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats speak all the time and it is more often than not:
    "give me my food"
    "stroke or tickle just please me"
    "you just woke me up for nothing"
    "your correct I am wonderful"
    "I want to go out / go in, you know which it is, so do it"
    You all have heard this but pretend it was nothing.
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love some of the answers!:D
    I came across this page which when you scroll down a bit to 'Anatomy of speech' is quite interesting.
    http://www.trueorigin.org/language01.asp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not cats and dogs, but apes definitely...
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    there is no selective pressure.

apes, there is no selective pressure on them either. they've spent countless years in the state they are now, their branch branched off from ours 5-8 million years ago after all.