Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    link doesnt work :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    here
    The iPad 2's launch date is closing in

The annual gadget-fest of CES hasn’t distracted us from one very important point: we’re expecting a new iPad to launch, and we’re expecting it soon.

Last year Steve Jobs sidled onto the stage in late January to unwrap the all-conquering Apple slate for the first time, but it seems its successor may be a couple of days later into the year in arriving.

That’s according to Kevin Rose, anyway – self-proclaimed Apple insider who’s proven as good as his word on Apple leaks in the past. Rose claims the iPad 2 will be unveiled on February 1 – that’s three weeks tomorrow, in case you need reminding.

More intriguingly, Rose also claims the iPad 2 will receive a more high-res screen than the current iPad, though it won’t be based on quite the same tech as the iPhone 4’s stunning Retina Display. That aside, he also says everyone’s most wanted feature on Apple’s new slate – front and back cameras – will be very much present and correct on launch day.

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/gadget-news/apple-ipad-launching-on-february-1
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours, only rumours. Maybe correct rumours, maybe total fiction, but either way only rumours.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That aside, he also says everyone’s most wanted feature on Apple’s new slate – front and back cameras – will be very much present and correct on launch day.

I just don't get this at all. Not one person I know (who owns an iPad)wants a camera... that damn thing is too big and bulky to use as a camera.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    I just don't get this at all. Not one person I know (who owns an iPad)wants a camera... that damn thing is too big and bulky to use as a camera.

Agreed a camera on a iPad is the last thing I want
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »

I would want a camera for skype and facetime etc. Well i say want, but im not that bothered I wont be upgrading this year as its just not enough time to have owned a device thats not a mobile phone.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too soon, I'd really doubt this one. Kevin Rose has obviously had some good tips in the past, but he's been wrong too. Mind you, I hope he is right - I'll almost certainly be buying straight away, having somehow managed to resist the current model
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought FLASH was the most wanted feature on the iPad..

Am pleased have managed to hold off for so long, the urge to jump in and buy the iPad wained....thankfully

Hopefully it will have some interesting newer features, but based on the recent demo of HoneyComb, its got a lot to live up to
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too soon, I'd really doubt this one. Kevin Rose has obviously had some good tips in the past, but he's been wrong too. Mind you, I hope he is right - I'll almost certainly be buying straight away, having somehow managed to resist the current model
    :)

The speculative title of the story on five.tv is rather misleading, IMO.

Kevin Rose never said it would be launching on the 1st of February, he said:
    Kevin Rose wrote:
    I have it on good authority that Apple will be announcing the iPad 2 in the next "3-4 weeks", possibly Tuesday February 1st. The iPad 2 will feature a retina display and front/back cameras.

If you're thinking of buying an iPad, hold off for now.

Kevin

UPDATE: Spoke w/another source, the display has a "higher dpi", but not technically a retina display. This seems odd to me, we'll have to wait and see.

... which is much more likely than it actually launching at the start of Feb.

The original was announced in late January 2010, & launched in April 2010 (May 2010 in the UK).

There will be an iPad 2, that's a given. And as Apple loves annual product cycles (iPhone: every Summer; iPod Touch: every September), I think it's a fairly safe bet that the iPad 2 will be available this Spring.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm buying one.

Fought off buying the iPad for a long time - now i just constantly post using my iPhone to post instead of my MBP so the iPad will be great as I can save my phone battery for texting and other things.

Can't wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm planning on getting one, too (so long as the price points are around the same as for the current iPad).

I'm not actually bothered about front/back cameras, but as there will be a new model due soon, I'm happy to wait & get that, rather than jump in now.

And hopefully there'll be more to it than just a couple of cameras & a slimmer case.

I would think that more RAM is a given... the iPad only has 256MB, whereas the Galaxy Tab has 512MB, and the upcoming BlackBerry PlayBook & Motorolla Xoom both have 1GB.

Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 would be lovely, but may be a bit too much of a jump.

Still, at the moment, I'm intending on getting a 32GB, maybe 64GB, WiFi only model. I don't need a 3G one, & don't think it's worth the extra £100.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care about the specs.

The iPad will do everything I need (long web browsing, great capacitive touch screen, beautiful OS etc) with fantastic battery life.

I'll get 10% off too. :D
    Forum Member
    ^^ how will you get 10% 0ff ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I'll still get one even if it is nothing more than a slimmer model with cameras. The current one would do what I want, I just don't see the point in getting one when a new one will be out in a few months.

But, a spec boost would be good, & maybe necessary, given that there'll actually be some competition this year (unless Moto etc. price themselves out of the market).
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Got the original iPad in October , if I hadn't I would wait for the updated version but there is nothing mentioned that makes me wish I had waited.

I've used it so much since I got it that it's paid for itself anyway!
  • Saint_ErrantSaint_Errant Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    goodkarma wrote: »
    Probably a student.Don't they get 10% discount?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goodkarma wrote: »

I work in a store that sells iPad's :p;)

Could get the student discount I guess but its not as much off. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The current iPad suits me. A nicer screen and a video camera would be nice, but not worth spending the extra on unless I can get some sucker to pay £400 for my old one, which is probably possible.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And no doubt the brainwashed Apple masses will be clambering to buy it.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »

Heaven forbid people bought it cos they liked it.
  • currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that Jobs guy ever change his clothes.
    I can smell him from over here. Pooey!

He's like a stinky used car salesman.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    currykev wrote: »
    He's like a stinky used car salesman.
    You can't accuse him of being a FLASH Harry though, can you? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    512MB RAM minimum is a given for the iPad2 as the iPhone 4 already has it, and 1GB can't be ruled out if it is to remain truly competitive. A dual-core CPU is also quite likely otherwise it is going to fall well behind some Android tablets. A higher resolution display would be the other thing most needed to be upgraded to keep it attractive-- at least 1280x960, which would allow it to play 720p video at native resolution (with black bars top and bottom, that or 1280x800 if they want something not so wide but still with a better display than the iPad1).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »

Not all of us who have Apple devices and drool whilst watching Steve Jobs podcasts announcing new prettier and shinier devices actually go out and buy them all. Some of us decide we're happy with what we've got. Though popping down to the Apple store a few weeks later to have a look at them is still nice.

The iTouch 4G as well as the iPhone 4 last year were both nice, but failed in different ways, so I stuck with my ancient iTouch 2G. Obviously I wouldn't consider an Apple product to replace my PC as that would mean spending a lot more money than an equivalent PC, then having to spend some more for a copy of Windows to actually make it worth having (as they come with OS X installed on them :rolleyes:).
  • simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting one(depending on price) as mine is full (32 gig) of apps, magizines for goodreader etc and mine is a treat for exercise/walk(18 mile) each week, I was obeese and now slim and treat meself to gadgets rather than food (sins on a yo yo diet) and is no apple fanboy, I wouldn't have bought ipad if I couldn't JB it / get free games/magizines etc. I'm a fan of money in my pocket but ipad is well worth it.

love me ipad for games/apps, goodreader, forums and splashtop = being able to watch me footy stream(flash from pc) on toilet/making something to eat ;o)