Immigrants taking our council houses

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
Forum Member
✭✭✭
People bang on about Britain not having enough social housing, which is a sentiment I agree with. But if it wasn't for immigration, there would be far more council houses to go around.

According to the Telegraph, half a million immigrants were given social housing in the last decade, and in total 1.2 million immigrants live in council accommodation.

Link here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10205963/Half-a-million-immigrants-given-social-housing-in-the-last-decade.html

Clearly if the Labour government hadn't allowed so many immigrants to settle here, there would be far more social housing to go around.

However, people always seem to blame the shortage on Thatcher's right to buy policy whilst ignoring the stats about immigration.

Clearly Labour's open door policy is mostly responsible for the housing crisis and shortage of homes, as if they hadn't allowed so many migrants into Britain, we would have hundreds of thousands more council homes.

Comments

• Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Filthy immigrants, blah blah blah, rant rant rant. :yawn:

Daily Heil website is that way. Enjoy. --->
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we can safely say Mrs Thatcher sold off more council houses than immigrants that live in the current stock. Still, Blair's open door policy added to a problem that started years back.
  • StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a disgrace that British nationals are not given preference, how is that just or fair? It seems morally wrong.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I do believe that immigrants are offered 'hard to let' properties, the ones that other people don't want to live in.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »

How predictable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »

Why is it that when anyone mentions immigration on this forum they are bombarded with brain dead responses such as this? Those stats clearly illustrate that immigration is partly to blame for the current housing crisis. Do we not have a right to be concerned by this?
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say your council houses, presumably you mean the one that isnt yours and never will be and that you would like me to subsidise for you.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that when anyone mentions immigration on this forum they are bombarded with brain dead responses such as this? Those stats clearly illustrate that immigration is partly to blame for the current housing crisis. Do we not have a right to be concerned by this?

Not in the la la land some posters live in no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

I thought it was obvious. Usual liberal NIMBY guff. Carry on and you'll all be called xenophobic, then racists, culminating in one of them invoking Godwin's Law in a last gasp attempt to shout everyone down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I do believe that immigrants are offered 'hard to let' properties, the ones that other people don't want to live in.

That is true in some cases. Some classes of immigrants are offered council housing that has been requisitioned by the home office. Invariably these are properties that are surplus to requirements by the council concerned, ie impossible to let; the council benefits because empty properties are taken off their hands. Everyone benefits, except in the sense that the flats concerned tend to be pretty ghastly and it might be better for everyone if they were made more attractive or demolished.
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    When you say your council houses, presumably you mean the one that isnt yours and never will be and that you would like me to subsidise for you.

You are already subsidising them. Unless you are inferring that you are pleased to subsidise council/HA accomodation for certain races and not others, which I am sure you aren't as that would be racist, fascist etc etc.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Well from some of the comments on DS, a lot of posters don't like people who were born in Britain living in them either.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    That is true in some cases. Some classes of immigrants are offered council housing that has been requisitioned by the home office. Invariably these are properties that are surplus to requirements by the council concerned, ie impossible to let; the council benefits because empty properties are taken off their hands. Everyone benefits, except in the sense that the flats concerned tend to be pretty ghastly and it might be better for everyone if they were made more attractive or demolished.

That is true they are some immigrants in some flats around here and TBH looking at the state of them I wouldn't use it for a dog kennel someone was telling me before the immigrants moved in it had it been empty for about 10+ years as everybody kept refusing it
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are already subsidising them. Unless you are inferring that you are pleased to subsidise council/HA accomodation for certain races and not others, which I am sure you aren't as that would be racist, fascist etc etc.

I'm happy to subsidise yours.
    Forum Member
    Well from some of the comments on DS, a lot of posters don't like people who were born in Britain living in them either.

I've no problem with anyone living in them and lived in one myself up until a few years ago, but it's the sense of entitlement that is the issue. For example, I recently witnessed a girl who is looking for a council house and turns down any property which doesn't have a "double aspect" i.e. front door in the middle and rooms either side.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I thought it was obvious. Usual liberal NIMBY guff. Carry on and you'll all be called xenophobic, then racists, culminating in one of them invoking Godwin's Law in a last gasp attempt to shout everyone down.

I've got used to people calling me a racist on DS.

It matters little that I've dated black and Asian women, have been indirectly affected by the holocaust, most of my tenants are or have been from ethnic minorities, I am happy to live in a predominantly Pakistani area, like music primarily of black origin (MOBO). I'm still a racist, according to some people on here.
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We can always rely on the mail to give us the facts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184334/Empty-houses-sale-1-Britains-cheapest-street.html
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about the great big house at the end of the Mall, if we kick that family squatting out of there we will be able to house at least 100 families in luxury apartments? :p
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame parents. How dare they breed! When their child/children comes of age they will need a house of their own. So selfish

In all seriousness though, the main cause of housing shortage is the vastly expanding population.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2010/Aug/uk-population-growth-forecast2010-2030.gif
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we can safely say Mrs Thatcher sold off more council houses than immigrants that live in the current stock. Still, Blair's open door policy added to a problem that started years back.

Not much more.
    About 2 million homes in the UK have been sold in this manner since 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Buy
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my Dad moved in to his 3 bed HA house 30 years ago the HA only took people who were not poor enough for council housing ( and not on the Council waiting list) and not rich enough to buy, my Dad had to prove is income and had 2 interviews before he was allowed to live there therefore Estate was a 'cut above' the local council Estate, now as he lives in Hounslow even 30 years ago there were British Asians living there which is fair enough.

About 15 years ago the HA changed and started taking people from the Council waiting list, the make up of the residents changed dramatically from then on. New Asian residents were not from Local Asian families but new arrivals who could hardly speak English in fact in the last 2 years no British families have moved into the Estate.

Now before you dismiss my Dad as some old white racist, when he talks about British families he includes 2nd/3rd Generation Asian and Black people the families of people who came over here years ago and he certainly classes these people as British because its what they are.

When he tells me this I believe him, he is chairman of the residents association and part of his duties is to call on all new families making himself available giving out information about rubbish collection days etc, residents meeting, support groups and all community activities.

The latest residents of one of the rather nice 3 bed houses with gardens who moved in 2 weeks ago are Somalians, yet day after day people phone my dad, stop him in the street or in shops and ask (no plead) with him to let them know when
    one of the houses are coming up for rent so they can watch out for it, he personally knows 6 families British people with local ties who put in a bid for that property and didn't get it.

So yes Immigrants are still getting housed at the expense of local people in some areas
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they hadn't bought their houses where would all the ex-council tenants be living?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Rent paying council housing tenants have not only been paying up to 90% of private market values for housing, but the excess they're paying is paying down the deficit the country is facing. If anything, we should be celebrating council housing tenants, not demonising or attempting "divide and rule" against them.

If anything, the biggest benefactor of "subsidy" from taxpayers are private buy-to-let landlords who are using taxpayers money from housing benefit to make massive, easy profit.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's disgraceful that British people are being turfed out of their council/housing association properties which they've lived in for years due to this ridiculous bedroom tax only to make room for a family of immigrants who haven't paid a penny into our system.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think immigrants should be given council housing unless they've lived and worked here for at least five years. I know its controversial but I wouldn't go and live in another country and expect to be housed by the state!