Should PC abide by this supposed "3 year rule" set byTennant/Smith?

13»

Comments

• Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Peter will probably do the same as David and Matt, maybe even four series. Anyone thinking he's going to either equal or surpass Tom Baker's record, yeah, it ain't gonna happen.

I second this. Hopefully Peter will do a fourth series but I can't see him doing any more than that.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second this. Hopefully Peter will do a fourth series but I can't see him doing any more than that.
    Indeed. By the time his initial (3 years?) contract ends, Peter will be offered some serious money by USA producers which the BBC will find hard to match. We'll be lucky to get a fourth year from him, but anything more than that would be against his best interests.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps worth noting that instead of this "one year at a time" business - Peter's response to his time on the show was wanting to play The Doctor "for years and years."
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Perhaps worth noting that instead of this "one year at a time" business - Peter's response to his time on the show was wanting to play The Doctor "for years and years."
    Except maybe that's not so viable when Hollywood producers start wafting big cheques under his nose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps. I'm sure it's always tempting to jump ship for those US bucks for many actors.

But lets face it - this is the role Capaldi wanted. How soon will he want to give it up? I'm sure he gets by and would continue to do so :p
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Perhaps. I'm sure it's always tempting to jump ship for those US bucks for many actors.

But lets face it - this is the role Capaldi wanted. How soon will he want to give it up? I'm sure he gets by and would continue to do so :p

I agree. With Eccleston/Smith it was just a job, whereas with Tennant he talked about his love for the show since he was a child carrying around his tom baker figurine, and I recall the newspapers printing a piece of his schoolwork where he said when he grew up he wanted to be the doctor, and I think I read somewhere even that it was his inspiration for getting into acting. As such, when he left, he did so not because there was any particular big American projects being thrust his way at that time but because he said that he loved the role so much, that if he didn't make the decision to leave on a high at the height of his popularity, he never would and they'd be 'wheeling him out of the TARDIS in his bathchair' I believe was the quote.

Similarly with Capaldi, he was a fan in his childhood, wrote letters to the magazine and took two separate roles in the new who universe just to be a part of it before landing the main role. He has talked about how he thought the time had passed where he might still be asked, and his jubilation when he found out he had got the job.

Basically, If you are in you are in your dream job, the motivation of leaving that job for more money isn't necessarily as strong as it would be for others. I think Capaldi's motivation for leaving, will, like Tennants, be more to do with when he feels the time is right for people to remember his doctor in the best possible light rather than anything to do with outside influences.
  • cuccircuccir Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I imagine that Capaldi must have had the opportunity in the past to give America a go - he's already been in a couple of Holywood films in relatively minor roles (The Fifth Estate; World War Z) and had roles in several British/European films that have had some impact in the States. Not to mention, you know, that Oscar that he won. While the cash would be tempting to anyone, I do think that it's a very different decision in your early 30s with a career in front of you, compared to your late 50s (which PC will be pushing if he were to leave Doctor Who in 2-3 years) when you've already had a career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Some seem to think doctor actors should leave after 3 series because DT and Smith choose too. (although both were close to staying.)
    Opinions?

I personally think PC stays at least 4. hope he does. Bith DT and Smith left too soon imo

I doubt anyone will top TB's reign, but I'd like it if PC was the longest serving new series Doctor Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eight seasons of Matt Smith would do me :)

*shudders*
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    *shudders*
    The only thing that would make me shudder like that is the thought of Moffat as showrunner for 8 series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're going to get at least six, so not far off.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The only Doctor I wanted to last forever was Pat Troughton - but I was only 7 years old in those days!
    Today - I think 3 - 4 years is about right.
    I LOVED David in his role - but 4 years was quite enough.
    Matt overstayed in my view - but he made some classic stories towards the end.
    Peter is just beginning - he's only had one year at it - and I loved them all! Long may he reign......and when Clara leaves, I'm sure he'll have other interesting companions to bounce off in his own style!
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that would make me shudder like that is the thought of Moffat as showrunner for 8 series

same!

i loved Moffat when he first begin his reign (i think he is one the major reasons DW has exploded worldwide in the past few years) but i honestly think he needs to give the title to someone else as i can see him overstaying his welcome.
    RTD did 4 amazing years and i think that enough imo :) evey 4 - 5 years get in a new exceutive producer :).
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who exactly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't enjoy seasons five to seven much at all, but that's because I really disliked Matt Smith. Once a likeable and talented actor took the Doctor Who role, it was like a totally different show, and I enjoyed the episodes a LOT more.

There were bits I did like about seasons five to seven, like The Weeping Angels and The Silence, but ugh... I could not stand the sight of Matt Smith, which is why I "shudders" at the thought of eight seasons of him.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't enjoy seasons five to seven much at all, but that's because I really disliked Matt Smith. Once a likeable and talented actor took the Doctor Who role, it was like a totally different show, and I enjoyed the episodes a LOT more.

There were bits I did like about seasons five to seven, like The Weeping Angels and The Silence, but ugh... I could not stand the sight of Matt Smith, which is why I "shudders" at the thought of eight seasons of him.
    I thought Matt Smith was brilliant. Unlike Tennant, who I think left at the right time, it still felt to me like the Eleventh Doctor was ''unfinished'' as though there was more to do with him. As wonderful an actor as Smith was, I think with all of the confusing story arcs, and the companions becoming more important than the Doctor, Smith's era was full of wasted potential.

I'm starting to think Moffat will be wheeled out of the TARDIS in his bathchair to be honest >:(.
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Matt Smith was brilliant. Unlike Tennant, who I think left at the right time, it still felt to me like the Eleventh Doctor was ''unfinished'' as though there was more to do with him. As wonderful an actor as Smith was, I think with all of the confusing story arcs, and the companions becoming more important than the Doctor, Smith's era was full of wasted potential.

I'm starting to think Moffat will be wheeled out of the TARDIS in his bathchair to be honest >:(.

I doubt he will out last PC