Options

Death To The Daleks

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
I think this is possibly my least favourite of all the 4-parters during Jon Pertwee's Era and also one of my least favourite Dalek stories ever. It's not an awful story but there isn't really that much to commend it.

There are a few good things to say about it. The city scenes remind me of those adventure games that used to be around when I was a kid on TV. I like the fact that for once Terry Nation tried to do something different with The Daleks by disabling their usual weapons and having them to be on a par, albeit temporarily, with the humans and then using their wits to get back in control.
The first episode cliffhanger is an interesting one which required the viewer to make the simple conclusion that the power had gone from their weapons.
Bellal is an amusing character, liked the Dalek who self destructed plus the Dalek-root fight. (And the atypical Pertwee gag that followed). Plus the early TARDIS scenes are good as well.

On the downside, however, there are several things I don't like. The incidental music was by the same composer who did The Silurians. Didn't like the music for that and this is not much better, so prefer Dudley Simpson's scores.

Though it is a 4-parter, it feels like a 6-parter and it amazingly seems to actually sag in places! It's very slow-moving at times and is generally lacking in any sort of pace, even by Classic Who Standards. The human characters sometimes seem to lack any kind of motivation and even the ones that do, like Galloway, seem to amble along at a slow pace to get things done!

Despite their setbacks in this story The Daleks are a tad predictable and it can be seen how much the injection of Davros into their stories was needed at this point. As the last one not to feature Davros to the New Series it really is a letdown.

:)

Comments

• Options
    TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    It is still better than much of the new shiny toned down computerised PC crap they are peddling out as "doctor who" these days.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Telenaut wrote: »
    It is still better than much of the new shiny toned down computerised PC crap they are peddling out as "doctor who" these days.

Toned down? the new series has looked at issues such as terminal illness, the immorality of violence, cannibalism, the profiteering of big nusiness and (even though I disagree about its place in Doctor Who, though this is just IMO) interracial lesbian relationships. Toned down? I don't think so.

PC? Most things are these days, even in its heyday doctor who was mostly PC anyways.

Computerised? under steven moffat, the budget for Doctor Who has decreased, as has the use of CGI. Episode 1 of series 7 has
    about 36 Daleks, all being MANUALLY operated.

And Doctor Who? Yes it is.

So thank you, but please back up your opinionated rubbish with fact instead of trolling in future. Thank you,
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Just watched episode one. Great fun!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I rather like Death to the Daleks, it's worth it just for Bellal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gwalker94 wrote: »
    I rather like Death to the Daleks, it's worth it just for Bellal!

I do actually like Bellal. he must be one of the cutest aliens to have appeared in Doctor Who!

:D
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I watched Death To the Daleks over the weekend: I haven't seen it for at least fifteen years, and it was totally new to the missus.

I rather liked it! I remember thinking it was a bit poo, years ago, but rather enjoyed it now. The music's good. Bellal is fantastic. There's some very good direction and camera work (Michael Briant is a superb director). The "root" thingie is very effective, especially in the scene where it rises from the lake. The suicidal Daleks made us chuckle. The whole episode of padding (Doctor and Bellal vs Terry nation's standard "logic puzzles") jogged along quite happily.

This is a new (re)discovery for me. Very happy with it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Death To The Daleks. Dark, scarey in places, amusingly done and Pertwee is fab! The Earth crew members other than John Abineri are variable, but it is a cracking serial.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I watched Death To the Daleks over the weekend: I haven't seen it for at least fifteen years, and it was totally new to the missus.

I rather liked it! I remember thinking it was a bit poo, years ago, but rather enjoyed it now. The music's good. Bellal is fantastic. There's some very good direction and camera work (Michael Briant is a superb director). The "root" thingie is very effective, especially in the scene where it rises from the lake. The suicidal Daleks made us chuckle. The whole episode of padding (Doctor and Bellal vs Terry nation's standard "logic puzzles") jogged along quite happily.

This is a new (re)discovery for me. Very happy with it!

I agree, it's quite entertaining and not really suited to its rubbish reputation. And where else can you see Sarah Jane's first introduction to the Daleks? :)
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telenaut wrote: »

Totally agree.
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVE this one, must have watched it a billion zillion times as a kid. A fantastic Perwee story, the Daleks are awesome but, the best thing, I think, about this story is the Exillons and the City. As many others have said, this is a fairly typical Dalek story which makes these other monsters so good. The hooded Exxillons are really sinister and scary, and the travel through the ghostly city is also good, remember the anibodies. Also remember the human guy whose so full of hate to the Daleks that he turns against others, redeems himself at end. Not seen it in years though so it's all a bit hazy
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I really like this story to be honest, I think because the overall mood is quite dark and grim.

My favourite bit is when the Daleks imposingly come forward to exterminate the humans, only to find their weapons don't work. Then while they agree to a brief alliance, some Daleks are working on a new shotgun type weapon in their ship. haha the cheeky gits (to add insult to injury, aren't they shooting a toy Tardis as target practice?)

Though of course the Doctor making his way through the trials of the Exxillon city is particularly memorable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like this story to be honest, I think because the overall mood is quite dark and grim.

My favourite bit is when the Daleks imposingly come forward to exterminate the humans, only to find their weapons don't work. Then while they agree to a brief alliance, some Daleks are working on a new shotgun type weapon in their ship. haha the cheeky gits (to add insult to injury, aren't they shooting a toy Tardis as target practice?)

Though of course the Doctor making his way through the trials of the Exxillon city is particularly memorable.

And the one bloke at the control panel who's
    been dead so long he crumbles into dust at the first little air current. At least I think that's what we're meant to understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just trying to think of that show which the city scenes reminded me off that I mentioned at the beginning. As far as I can recall, it starred Keith Chegwin (Yes, it was that long ago!:D) and the games were set in space somewhere and they were very similar to the tasks that The Doctor and Bellal had to undertake, though I'm sure the mind game and the resulting death of some of them weren't a factor! :D

I think the one that seemed really familiar was the one that closed the third episode, with the floor pattern where you had to get across without setting something off in this game show!

Off course, I always thought the similar game in The Five Doctors with the first Doctor, Tegan and The Master was a bit of a rip-off of this game, only bigger! :D
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recall this as being very good in general, but it's a long time since I saw it and maybe I'm influenced by its reputation. I do remember the Exillons being quite scary though.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

O the downside, however, there are several things I don't like. The incidental music was by the same composer who did The Silurians. Didn't like the music for that and this is not much better, so prefer Dudley Simpson's scores.

Sorry Daveboy I am going to disagree a bit with you on this story:)I actually liked the Exillon City incidental music. It felt errie and mysterious.
    I do have very fond memories of this story being one of the first Pertwee stories I brought on VHS. I think Ithere's quite a lot going in the story withthe Exillons & human sacrifice, the tensions in the Marine corp group to get the drug they need and the arrival of the Daleks. Pertwee seems very in contro as the Doctorl.Most of the actors are good except for Joy Harrison as Jill who granted is a little wooden.

But I do agree that the actor who played Bellal was very convincing and the early scenes with the Tardis losing power are good. Mainly down to Lis Sladen's acting.
    .Its a story I really enjoy watching :)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually liked the Exillon City incidental music. It felt errie and mysterious.
    I do have very fond memories of this story being one of the first Pertwee stories I brought on VHS.

<SNIP>

Joy Harrison as Jill who granted is a little wooden.

I'm totally with you on this, LadyT. I can remember saving my pocket money to buy the compilation VHS, and the music has always stayed with me. Those Exxilon chants are well sinister.

I wonder what happened to Joy Harrison?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Daveboy I am going to disagree a bit with you on this story:)I actually liked the Exillon City incidental music. It felt eerie and mysterious.

I'm afraid I am a big fan of Dudley Simpson's incidental music. IMVHO it has only ever been bettered by the scores by the Radiophonic Workshop during Seasons 18-23. I think he could have done wonders with this story had he been assigned to it.

The score for this story I dislike so much because it is so similar to The Silurians, which as previously mentioned , is my least favourite of this era and the incidental music is one of the factors for that.

I do actually agree that the Exillon chanting music they used was quite good and creepy.

• Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just trying to think of that show which the city scenes reminded me off that I mentioned at the beginning. As far as I can recall, it starred Keith Chegwin (Yes, it was that long ago!:D) and the games were set in space somewhere and they were very similar to the tasks that The Doctor and Bellal had to undertake, though I'm sure the mind game and the resulting death of some of them weren't a factor! :D

That's 'The Adventure Game' you're thinking of.

Gronda gronda!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think the one that seemed really familiar was the one that closed the third episode, with the floor pattern where you had to get across without setting something off in this game show!

Off course, I always thought the similar game in The Five Doctors with the first Doctor, Tegan and The Master was a bit of a rip-off of this game, only bigger! :D

The Adventure Game??

Doog yrev!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's 'The Adventure Game' you're thinking of.

Gronda gronda!

Thank You!

That was the one! Didn't it used to be on a Saturday Afternoon or something??!

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank You!

That was the one! Didn't it used to be on a Saturday Afternoon or something??!

I think some of it was shown on BBC2 round about 6pm or so on a weekday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I think some of it was shown on BBC2 round about 6pm or so on a weekday

Thanks! Shows how long ago it was/how bad my memory is, delete as appropriate.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The credits say there was supposed to be some saxophone group doing the incidental music, but to me it always sounds like clarinets fed through some sort of distortion filter.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I quite liked this story! It was a fun adventure - and that Bellal was a cute alien.
    I have a few picky moments (I sound like in "Four in a Bed"!). When the Tardis lost its power - the Doctor miraculously found a torch and then a Gas Lamp. Then to open the main doors he found a crank-handle! That hole was never there before:confused:
    I thought it a bit silly that the Daleks had a specially-made model of the Tardis to shoot at with their bullets. Why not just use a block of wood or something?
    How did the Daleks put on their 'suicide bombs' ?

Anyway - as much as it was silly - I really enjoyed it! Loved the gamey stuff as well!:)
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally with you on this, LadyT. I can remember saving my pocket money to buy the compilation VHS, and the music has always stayed with me. Those Exxilon chants are well sinister.

I wonder what happened to Joy Harrison?

Well I wondered myself Chuffnobbler and according to the good ol' interweb link below she is living outside the UK

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/doctor-who-death-to-the-daleks.html

So glad I am not alone in my love for Death of the Daleks!:D