Fist in the air + tight white T-shirt = genuine rock singer?

UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This whole fist-in-the-air act by Mr Big Hair every week is really starting to grate now. What Jamie is portraying is not a 'rock singer', it's a caricature of a rock singer - which is a very different thing indeed.

But of course it's the sort of thing that people who know absolutely nothing about real rock music believe is the real deal - people who would classify Busted as real 'rock' and Limp Bizkit as extreme metal! Just like the four people sat behind that desk, facing him as he performs, funnily enough...

And I'm sorry, but that expression 'rocking out' that Cheryl Cole and the performers keep trotting out has more to do with Barney the purple dinosaur than genuine rock music. Can you imagine the likes of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Bruce Dickinson, Ian Gillan, David Coverdale, Freddie Mercury, Ronnie Dio - you know, real rock singers - etc, saying "Yeah, I was really rocking out?" For goodness sake... :rolleyes:

Time to **** or get off the pot, Jamie - you really need to inject bit of originality into your act because having the whole 'rock-by-numbers' thing on weekly repeat is starting to get more than a tad wearing.

Comments

• feistyfeisty Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole fist-in-the-air act by Mr Big Hair every week is really starting to grate now. What Jamie is portraying is not a 'rock singer', it's a caricature of a rock singer - which is a very different thing indeed.

But of course it's the sort of thing that people who know absolutely nothing about real rock music believe is the real deal - people who would classify Busted as real 'rock' and Limp Bizkit as extreme metal! Just like the four people sat behind that desk, facing him as he performs, funnily enough...

And I'm sorry, but that expression 'rocking out' that Cheryl Cole and the performers keep trotting out has more to do with Barney the purple dinosaur than genuine rock music. Can you imagine the likes of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Bruce Dickinson, Ian Gillan, David Coverdale, Freddie Mercury, Ronnie Dio - you know, real rock singers - etc, saying "Yeah, I was really rocking out?" For goodness sake... :rolleyes:

Time to **** or get off the pot, Jamie - you really need to inject bit of originality into your act because having the whole 'rock-by-numbers' thing on weekly repeat is starting to get more than a tad wearing.

I agree 100% with you.....I have tried to like this guy...but he just doesn't have it....I reluctantly even agree with L Walsh's opinion of him......I can't think of one number he has done that nears "rocking"....I read Bon Jovi invited to tour with the,...that I cant believe.....He and Lloyd should never have qualified...Jamie is a tired pub singer, past his sell by date....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do think he is a poor imitation of a "rock singer". i just find him really bland and very boring....think he might struggle tonight
  • carolineglasgowcarolineglasgow Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post - agree with the OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with. Succintly and corrctly put.

Word of warning - expect the obligatory backlash from irrate fans...it's the name of the game. I currently have a similar thread going and I am definitely Public Enemy Number One amongst certain areas of this forum! Great fun!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, a serious question.

I never overthink what genre my favourite music is in, I just know what I like.

Now I like Jamie.

My favourite music (ie overall what I listen to the most) is Meatloaf.

So my question is, what would Meatloaf be termed as?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    feisty wrote: »
    I agree 100% with you.....I have tried to like this guy...but he just doesn't have it....I reluctantly even agree with L Walsh's opinion of him......I can't think of one number he has done that nears "rocking"....I read Bon Jovi invited to tour with the,...that I cant believe.....He and Lloyd should never have qualified...Jamie is a tired pub singer, past his sell by date....

I pretty much agree with you, I really wanted to like Jamie, but sadly Louis has it spot on - he's not some missed talent finally getting his break, but a decent pub singer who's got very lucky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter when he's singing to a panel of judges who never once mention the words "Roy Orbison" after afro mangled his song?
  • EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That T-shirt he wore last night looked a bit grubby actually - maybe it was one of Simon's cast-offs? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is pretty mediocre, though I dare anyone to "define" what a "real " rocker is.. The reason at 34 or whatever he is, he never got anywhere is because he is not original, he merely spent 20 years doing covers nowhere near as well as by the original artist/groups.

After rock era we have Muse,Kasabian.Radiohead,Jack White and his various groups, Arctic Monkeys etc etc all making it huge ,and all are younger than Jamie..why ? because they write their own stuff and have their own unique sound.

Still the rest of the under 25 Minnie Mouse whiners are dreadful and oh so unoriginal too so.....they are all terribly bland with no shining lights in any of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    After every song he does the "put your hands in the air and drop the head" as though he's just pulled off a "real rock" song. Gahh! Makes me want to hurl something at the TV. His singing isn't terrible, but far off amazing, just his little thing at the end of the song which makes me go mad.
  • UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After every song he does the "put your hands in the air and drop the head" as though he's just pulled off a "real rock" song. Gahh! Makes me want to hurl something at the TV. His singing isn't terrible, but far off amazing, just his little thing at the end of the song which makes me go mad.
    That's exactly what I mean about the caricature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one answered my Meatloaf question :(
  • Jacko lives!Jacko lives! Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »

Answer - a fat ****er!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he's a rock singer, personally. It's not really good enough for classic rock, and it sure ain't contemporary imo. Now Adam Lambert from AI; he shows how it's done :)
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adam lambert my arse, you want rockers, proper rockers you gotta go back to the 60's & early 70's, do not confuse rockers with soft/heavy metal bands.
  • feistyfeisty Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is it so important? If you're a Meatloaf fan you will know...

Quote: So my question is, what would Meatloaf be termed as?
    Genres.... Rock, rock opera, hard rock
    Are you now going to draw comparisons with Jamie!?
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well you think what you wish to as it is your opinion.
    However I don't agree with you and will and have as have other people been voting for him.

Organising ~Cancer funding and other things takes it out of you.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    adam lambert my arse, you want rockers, proper rockers you gotta go back to the 60's & early 70's, do not confuse rockers with soft/heavy metal bands.

Do you mean Elvis and Rock and Roll or do you mean Rock?;)

It is a wide field and their are no proper rockers. Each Rocker has his or her way singing.;)

I was around during those days and remember many.#However I also consider Heavy Metal or whatever part of Rock. ;)

However this is only my opnion and whilst I might not agree with your defintion I honour your opinion.;)

Enjoy your Rock :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »

Hey, c'mon, I was talking about talent show contestants :)

I'm a massive rock fan, it's the way I've been brought up. I like most of the sub-genres branching off, including metal, but no, I wasn't confusing my favourite metal frontmen with your definition of rockers.

Edit: yes Mitacond! I agree :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with. Succintly and corrctly put.

Word of warning - expect the obligatory backlash from irrate fans...it's the name of the game. I currently have a similar thread going and I am definitely Public Enemy Number One amongst certain areas of this forum! Great fun!!!

I know that all of us have differing opinions when this subject is discussed therefore why should I in anyway down your or anyone elses opinions.;)

Great discussion and all opinions are great.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Soft rock.

Jamie is as much of a rocker as Bryan Adams, which is to say not very much. He'd be classified in the soft rock category too - at least on the evidence of his performances so far.

If they really want him to come across as a rocker, he should choose a hard rock song, take a guitar on stage, and actually loosen up instead of using the same old poses which look rehearsed (I'm talking about the crouched over to the side one he always does).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he's a rock singer, personally. It's not really good enough for classic rock, and it sure ain't contemporary imo. Now Adam Lambert from AI; he shows how it's done :)

While I love Adam I did not think he had the passion and depth that the Rockers I am used to hear have.;)

However I appreciate your opinion and I was around when classic rock was in its beginning.;)

Rock and Roll.
  • Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, a serious question.

I never overthink what genre my favourite music is in, I just know what I like.

Now I like Jamie.

My favourite music (ie overall what I listen to the most) is Meatloaf.

Obesity-core?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member

So you are only a 'rock singer' if you have had huge hits and made gazillions of pounds and dollars? :rolleyes:

So Jamie has a 'signiture' at the end of his songs - sorry you don't like it... I love it.

I don't care if he is a 'rock singer' or not. I like his voice. I would buy his album, especially if it included his version of 'Hurt'. Go Jamie!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mitacond wrote: »
    While I love Adam I did not think he had the passion and depth that the Rockers I am used to hear have.;)

However I appreciate your opinion and I was around when classic rock was in its beginning.;)

Rock and Roll.

Haha, I wasn't around, I'm 17! I may as well have been though, I was brought up on classic rock :D

And regarding Adam, I was only talking talent show contestants ^_^