The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I have been speaking by PM with the winner velixa

She will be sent her prize but isn't worried about having the honour of starting the new thread for 2015.

So that honour now goes to Only_You who was 2nd out of the hat!

So really we have TWO winners!

Congrats to both! :)
  • velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Thanks Claire's Dad for running the competition!

I don't feel like I've actually won since the only thing I got right was mentioning a tree.

But if anyone guessed a girl dressed as an angel king holding a cat, I would ask if they were psychic.

As for the cover, it's nice. Not bad, not amazing, just nice. I would have liked to have seen a different illustration style, because it's a bit similar to the Raymond Briggs style efforts from the past 2 years.
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Well here we are again. Was it really 12 months ago?

Firstly, I'm sure you'll all agree, a BIG BIG thanks to Claires_dad for running the cover competetion again. It really is much appreciated. Also thank you for such a great website with all the covers and listings

The cover competition is always a bit of light hearted fun, as is the annual thread throughout the year. We have the hard core, the occasional and the seasonal posters but all are welcome and despite the length of the thread, we always have a bit of fun and laughs along the way.

I know it has been mentioned by a previous poster that the thread title should change to christmas TV. countdown but in my own opinion, the history of the thread is bound with the RADIO TIMES as it has always been seen as a countdown to the cover being revealed. Personally I would like to see the next thread be titled the same (2014 substituted for 2015 obviously)

Prior to concluding, well done to Velixa in winning the cover competition. There were some great shouts this year ( a naked Bruce Forysth) aside :) but well done to one and all for joining in. I gather this year we had the most entries.

As the previous thread starter I officially hand over the batton to VELIXA., but in this case ONLY_YOU ( well done) :) - We will all await your new thread once we have time to digest the contents of this years magazine.

That leaves me to say, Who will take the second honour in becoming the first person to grab a copy tomorrow? Keep us posted and remember to make a note of what time you get your hands on a copy.

And finally.... ( I promise). A very merry Christmas to you all.

Mark (aka Batfink)
  • BurnaldoBurnaldo Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Really doesn't seem five minutes since we had the 2013 christmas radio times and here we have the cover for this years, can't wait to browse the new issue from cover to cover, does anyone else feel a bit sad when you have had the last days listing and the issue is out of date or am I just a bit sad!!:)
    Forum Member
    Burnaldo wrote: »
    Really doesn't seem five minutes since we had the 2013 christmas radio times and here we have the cover for this years, can't wait to browse the new issue from cover to cover, does anyone else feel a bit sad when you have had the last days listing and the issue is out of date or am I just a bit sad!!:)

I feel a bit sad too, because it's the end of the festive season... but that's a little while off yet!
    Forum Member
    Burnaldo wrote: »

I agree, it really does mark the end of christmas. My copy then gets archived away, and the new year starts. At that point Chrsitmas seems so far away!
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Well Done VELIXA! It will be my pleasure to open up the new thread! I shall undertake that honour in a few weeks time! :) - just for the record - I am not a fan of this years cover! :(
    Forum Member
    Only_You wrote: »
    Well Done VELIXA! It will be my pleasure to open up the new thread! I shall undertake that honour in a few weeks time! :) - just for the record - I am not a fan of this years cover! :(

Well done :)

I'm still not sure about this years cover myself. I want to hate it because it could be so so much better. On the other side of the coin, it is a nice touch to commission an original and new piece of art.... I just have reservations about the cat, and for the record I actually love cats...
  • jay04jay04 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    i wonder if we get the bbc christmas idents before stricty tomorrow
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    jay04 wrote: »

I believe that's the plan
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jay04 wrote: »

Yes its definite
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    It will be my pleasure to open up the new thread! I shall undertake that honour in a few weeks time! :)

Congrats look forward to it but not for a few months. Another thing, what's to stop another opening up a RT thread, it'd be a dirty devious action if they did, and if they do they'll have the unofficial thread which should be boycotted. We either stick to the rules or we don't.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cover, hmmm... I like the sentiment due to it being her 91st Birthday, and she's clearly talented, but no, I don't get it at all. A giant cat being held?

Great competition once again, look forward to next year's. Am I the only one the feels a bit sad that this year's is over?

Anyway, my highlighter is at the ready, but being in the North i'm assuming it'll be mid week before I get my hands on a copy?
  • mattbristolmattbristol Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    The double issue Inside Soap in now available!....
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have mine now purchased in a sainsburys petrol station East London just to confirm it the cover folds out and has a British Gas advert inside it and the last article is about Willaim Pooley an Ebola nurse that's on the last page where they mention the next issue out Christmas eve
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I have mine now

Where did you get it from?
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Where did you get it from?

Sainsburys as above in East london. TV Times there as well but no others. It's good as on some days the full listings start from 3 or 4pm
    Forum Member
    06:53am. Well done A.D.P
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only describe it as .....................odd !

It would have taken a pretty imaginative mind to guess that one!
  • ThascalesThascales Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Got mine. Tesco Long Eaton East Midlands. Is this the furthest north so far?
  • danjamesdanjames Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Thascales wrote: »
    Got mine. Tesco Long Eaton East Midlands. Is this the furthest north so far?

Got mine in a One Stop in Chellaston, Derby (East Mids) this morning so close to yours.
    Forum Member
    I thought it was only available in London and the south east today, so you East Midlanders have done well. :D
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, surprised it's managed to get on sale in the East Mids so quickly. I've got mine just now. Last night in Waitrose I actually saw the TV & Satellite Weekly and TV Choice already on sale.
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    How much is it this time? :D
  • ThascalesThascales Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I guess it's because its the same edition as the London one- no reason not to ship it up here.