Options

500 Days of Summer

2»

Comments

• Options
    geoffSFgeoffSF Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was set in New York, was I being immensly thick?

Nope, it was LA. It actually showed some interesting parts of the city and stayed away from the Hollywood sign and the Sunset Strip, so it didn't scream LA.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on DVD last night - very disappointed. :( I'm a huge fan of this type of film, and I love Zooey and JGL, but I'm afraid it just left me cold. I didn't laugh once, and Zooey's character was unbelievably annoying; other than her looks, why any man would want to be with her is beyond me. :confused:
  • Options
    Jacko lives!Jacko lives! Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Saw this on DVD last night - very disappointed. :( I'm a huge fan of this type of film, and I love Zooey and JGL, but I'm afraid it just left me cold. I didn't laugh once, and Zooey's character was unbelievably annoying; other than her looks, why any man would want to be with her is beyond me. :confused:

I wouldn't have said it was meant to be a comedy.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It's more drama/light comedy than full on comedy. I didn't go into it expecting a lot of laughs. I adored it, excellent film.

I'm very interested now to see what the director of this film does with his take on Spiderman for the new movies in a few years time!
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more drama/light comedy than full on comedy. I didn't go into it expecting a lot of laughs.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't an out-an-out comedy! I was expecting something in the vein of one of those quirky indie-ish flicks the Americans do so well, like Election, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, Ghost World, Brick or Wonder Boys - all of which had plenty to laugh about.

I genuinely have no idea why people like this film, I found the dialogue as flat as a pancake. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see it at the cinema but I was really looking froward to watching the DVD, which I did this weekend.

As much as I love Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt, I was quite disappointed :(

I found it quite self-indulgent and try-hard. Saying that, my expectations may have been too high. It was a decent enough rom-com but tried too hard to be 'indie'. Something didn't quite work.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yet another movie where the guy wants to be an architect !
    oh - and he gets romantic advice from his little sister .

it was awful , and it thought it was so original .
  • Options
    Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got it on dvd I thought it was fantastic a great film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching it, I really liked it, cute movie lol....Joseph Gordon Levitt stood out, Zooey not so much I mean she was good but not as good as Joseph...I liked the fact it didn't have the stereotypical Hollywood happy ending to it....felt so sorry for Tom, then again he knew what he was getting himself into as she made her intentions clear about him and she was wrong to lead him on when he clearly ask what they were....Got bit of a crush on Joseph he is so cute in a nice dorky way and not bad to look at either :D:o....xo
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_DK wrote: »
    Just got it on dvd I thought it was fantastic a great film.

soo agree :)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bumping an old thread just to let people know this is on channel 4 on sunday night and, if you have it, it's in HD as well :D

one of my all time favourites, but will definitely sky plus it :)
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A brilliant film - i went to see it expecting it to be good but it was so much more than that.
    Charming, sweet, touching etc etc.

I had a big smile on my face after seeing this and couldn't wait to see it again.
    It's worth a look just for the fantasy dance sequence.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it - a very different film
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    an awesome film,i really really love the last scene and when the credits role
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I really wanted to like this film. I bought it and tried to watch it twice. :( Not my thing, sadly.