Options

Trying to Cancel Sky On Phone.....

RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been trying to cancel Sky for the last 2 days. Last night I was on hold for a hour and so far tonight 15 minutes, getting REALLY annoyed. After 60 minutes on hold last night I tried to call on my mobile, going through the options gave me a "this department is now closed" message, meanwhile my landline was still on hold.

Any advice on how to speed this up?

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I have been trying to cancel Sky for the last 2 days. Last night I was on hold for a hour and so far tonight 15 minutes, getting REALLY annoyed. After 60 minutes on hold last night I tried to call on my mobile, going through the options gave me a "this department is now closed" message, meanwhile my landline was still on hold.

Any advice on how to speed this up?

Do it on the chat link on your Sky account web site.

Took me 15 minutes and was free.

Assuming you really want to cancel.

They may not offer the retention deals cancellations on the phone would do, but we were leaving anyhow so not looking for a deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I went there after posting here the guy gave me a link to email them. Will get a call back "within 72 hours" >:(

I remember when a call to cancellations would get you connected within seconds.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do it on the chat link on your Sky account web site.

Took me 15 minutes and was free.

Assuming you really want to cancel.

They may not offer the retention deals cancellations on the phone would do, but we were leaving anyhow so not looking for a deal.

When I go on the chat link they say they cannot downgrade (or cancel) and that if you want to do that you have to phone or have them phone you.

It's all too much hassle so I've decided not to do Sky Sports next football season, I spend too much time watching football when I could be doing something more useful.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    When I go on the chat link they say they cannot downgrade (or cancel) and that if you want to do that you have to phone or have them phone you.
    Yet, in respect of cancellations, they've updated their tv terms & conditions in recent weeks to state (my bold):
    13. Notices

...(c) Any notice you give us to end this Contract where you have a right to do so (other than where you are exercising your right to cancel during your cooling-off period for which see 'Your Rights to Cancel Your Order' section below) must be given by phone (03442 41 44 14) or by using our webchat service on sky.com. Notice given by these means will be processed immediately. You can also write to us (Sky Subscribers Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7DD) or email us via your My Sky account. We will acknowledge written requests by return letter or email and will contact you by phone to verify you as the account holder and take you through the cancellation process before we process your request.
    http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/tv/

(Sky Talk & Broadband terms & conditions also now refer to webchat as a valid cancellation option)

I guess time will tell what the t&c's state when/if they give notice of the change to existing customers, as the Telegraph's article appears to suggest that Sky will do this summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience tonight was that the webchat merely gives you a link to email your cancellation request.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call them between 8AM and 9:30AM, at that time of day you get through almost right away.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Email jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com and advise you have been trying to cancel for 2 days, but their systems keep putting you on hold, and it is not acceptable, especially as you are paying the phone bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Email jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com and advise you have been trying to cancel for 2 days, but their systems keep putting you on hold, and it is not acceptable, especially as you are paying the phone bill.

I emailed that address on Monday night after an hour on hold when the department was actually closed and have yet to receive a reply.

One of the cancellations team called my this morning so the cancellation has been applied now. Such a farce having to jump through hoops to leave a service you are paying for.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's like they don't want to make it too easy to stop giving them money :D

They should take a leaf out of other services that allow easy online cancellations, assuming you've met any minimum contractual obligations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    My experience tonight was that the webchat merely gives you a link to email your cancellation request.

That is not what happened to me a few days ago.

Went onto chat, explained my reasons, they were fine. After 15 minutes of chat they gave me a date when the 30 days would end, told me what my final bill would be via direct debit (though in the end they took out the usual sum) and that was that.

Checking my services via My Sky a day later revealed that they had set a date (the date given via chat) when the service would end.

I received an e mail telling me the same thing.

At no point was I asked to call any number.

Though, as noted, I was not looking for any retention deals. Just to cancel.

You are all starting to make me wonder if I really HAVE cancelled now given how easy and cooperative they were on chat. :confused:
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I depends who you get through to to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that my experience via chat WAS real. I had the letter today from Sky confirming it all and suggesting I call to discuss coming back (ie be offered a deal) whenever I wanted. But that my service would end on the date stated during the Chat discussion to cancel.

So in my case I must have gotten through to the right person or just been lucky.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took me 55 minutes to get my Sky TV service discontinued today, the CS agent did try his best with all sorts of spiels to try and persuade me to stay but I dug my heels in and kept on repeating that I wont loss any recording functions and good programming as I have my very own PVR Humax freesat box and a freeview recorder whenever I need to use them when I'm fed up with Sky.

Thank goodness the 03 numbers are on my anytime calls with BT:)
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    55 minutes?! When I cancelled Sky a few weeks back I was done in under 5 mins! They didn't even offer me any deals, just a polite thanks and good bye.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It's all too much hassle so I've decided not to do Sky Sports next football season, I spend too much time watching football when I could be doing something more useful.

Twice I've cancelled Sky Sports and each time I was on the phone for about 45 minutes while they tried to keep me with all kinds of offers.

I have decided I will not be rejoining Sky Sports again partly because of the hassle when I want to cancel again but also, like you, I realised I was spending far too much time watching football games.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gs1 wrote: »
    You can also write to us (Sky Subscribers Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7DD).

Make sure you make it crystal clear that you want to cancel and they should not waste your time by phoning you. Be sure to include all the details they could possibly require and a photocopy of (e.g.) your driving licence to prove your identity. Keep a copy of your letter and the signed-for delivery slip.

If they do phone you, simply say "This is harassment. I have cancelled my account. I gave you the required notice by letter. Please confirm the final date of contract" and keep repeating that. They have no legal right to delay or deny your written cancellation.

(I'm told that the way to avoid any hassle is to write stating that your company is posting you abroad next week and would they please send an engineer to install the dish at your new residence! Cancellation will be immediate.) ;)
  • Options
    gdog38gdog38 Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I phoned Sky to cancel as i do not want sky anymore, and the guy tried to give me 40% off for 6 months. I said no. They kept me on the phone for 20 minutes asking me a whole load of security questions. It should be that simple to cancel but is not.

They then phoned me tonight on my mobile wanting me to come back and tried to offer me a discount again. What a cheek.

I just hope I don't get anymore calls.

I was paying £70 a month.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the fact I was only paying £26/month for my basic Sky package (Variety TV only) was the reason I was able to cancel in just a few minutes, no offers to stay, no follow up calls, just a very business like procedure to shut down the account. Or did I just get lucky and got through to someone who didn't care if I quit??

The only offers I see are when I log into MySky which is still active where I can see the old bills.

If I had to plead and beg for an hour on the phone to cancel my subscription I think I'd be mad as hell by the end of it!?!?
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very much the reverse if you want to get Sky or upgrade

Its obvious here that sky customers are leaving in their thousands mainly because of price and having to pay extra for a HD service . Also noticed a big uptake in F5 boxes on ebay
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I cancelled a couple of days ago. They didn't offer anything off the TV package, but offered BB for free. Declined as cost is the reason for cancelling and their discount wasn't attractive enough. They did insist that it was a good offer and they said they couldn't understand why I would refuse it when I would be losing TV channels that I enjoy. They seemed a bit blank when I countered with not understanding why they would be happy to lose a customer and 100% of that subscription rather than offering a better discount.

Will be swapping my BB and telephone package next as there are some very good deals for new subscribers.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Like others I too spend too much time watching football.

I cancelled Sky Sports a couple of days ago. On their website I requested a call from them stating that I wanted to change my package. On hearing I wanted to downgrade I was passed to someone else who handled it politely and efficiently.

I had to laugh when she said, 'I'll now ask you some questions about your household and lifestyle'.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I make a diary note to cancel annually. I currently get a basic package plus Sky Sports for £23 per month........ ;-)