Weight loss thread - 2015 edition

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
Forum Member
Even though there are still a few days to go before 2014 is behind us I thought I'd be the one to give you all 2015's edition of the weight loss thread. :)

Enjoy, and merry Xmas to all and a happy 2015! ^_^

Comments

• jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the same to you - I don't have much to lose - only a few pounds but booked a boot camp for beginning of January as I want to get fit as much as I want to lose a few pounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I have loads to use. I shall definitely be joining in with this. Roll on 2015!
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    eat less exercise more

sorted
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be joining you again this year, year before last I lost 5 stone with support from this thread had a bad year last year (bereavement ) and put a stone and a half back on ! So going for it again and hope to lose a fair bit again.

So good luck to everyone !

And no it isn't quite as simple as gulliverfoyle say you have to be in the right frame of mind too !
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This time last year I weighed over 18 stone and today I weigh under 14, I still have half a stone or so to go, I do not "diet" I dumped the garbage and wrong things I used to eat and they will not be making their way back.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost 6lb's since september, got maybe 4 or 5 to go? :)
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Sign me up please. Looking to lose 3 stone and get down to 13 stone.

Any serious tips from people who have successfully lost weight over the last years? I know I have to cut down on the crap I eat and just eat the healthy stuff. Probably reduce my beer intake too. I do cycle, walk and play tennis quite a bit already.

Btw I'm male and in my late 40s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valeron wrote: »

Any serious tips from people who have successfully lost weight over the last years? I know I have to cut down on the crap I eat and just eat the healthy stuff. Probably reduce my beer intake too. I do cycle, walk and play tennis quite a bit already.

When I lost a lot I was very low carb and no sugar at all. I can say it works but it has come at a serious price, so this time I am calorie counting without taking a food group out of the equation not tried it yet so can't make any recommendations.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have cut my carbs down to 50g per meal, Seems to work very well.
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm in a similar predicament. 56 years old and need to lose a stone and ideally two.
    I plan to cut down drastically on carbs and SUGAR which is going to be traumatic to say the least but I've already decided to do it so that's half the battle. The only exercise I enjoy is jogging so that will be added at the same time . I plan to kick-off the torture on my return to work on 5th Jan. I'm taking things easy now and making sure I'm not being stupidly greedy in the meantime .

The wife's convinced that I'm going to get some form if diabetes if I carry on the way I have been doing . That's scary .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I have cut my carbs down to 50g per meal, Seems to work very well.

That's more or less my plan but I LOVE potatoes and bread sooooooo much :(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a pretty good 2014 losing 2 stone at one point but slipped back in the last couple of months to be down 20 lbs on the year. It's always harder to eat healthily in the winter. Salads aren't so attractive on a cold day.

My aim for 2015 will be to lose another 20+ pounds.
    Forum Member
    I'm planning on losing a pound a week but only having a weigh in every 4 weeks. Weighing in every week has always been a bit stressful in the past as one as one bad week always happens and hopefully over 4 weeks things wil average out.

What are other people's plans with this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm planning on losing a pound a week but only having a weigh in every 4 weeks. Weighing in every week has always been a bit stressful in the past as one as one bad week always happens and hopefully over 4 weeks things wil average out.

That sounds like a good idea as I weigh myself every morning and some days I'm a pound lighter and then other days I'm a pound heavier even after eating carefully.
  • RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started my healthy eating about a month ago and I've lost 18lbs so far!
    Got about another 50 or so to go ; currently at 14st 6lbs!

Good luck to everyone else!!!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in again in my continuing weight loss. 8 Stone total now. Still a way to go but will defiantly do it. New year renewed enthusiasm is kicking in already.
  • DiscoPantsDiscoPants Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I'm in! 3 stone to lose, good luck everyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like to lose a pound or two each week and weigh same time each week in same clothing, I know some weeks hormones will mean I don't lose but I just keep plodding on.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    This time last year I wrote in the 2014 thread how it was the year I was going to change and one year later I think that was my only post.

This year though I really want to get to it. I feel like I've made enough excuses and need to actually start doing something about it. In December I started going to group fitness classes a few times a week as I find this easier than motivating myself at the gym on my own. I just need to sort out my diet a bit now I think.
    Forum Member
    This time last year I wrote in the 2014 thread how it was the year I was going to change and one year later I think that was my only post.

Same for me but this year I plan to actually try. My initial target is a 4lb loss by the end of January. It's going to be hard.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost just over 5 stone following a low carb diet, i have put 7lb back on. I joined Slimming World, but gained weight tyrying to switch from my low carb to their regime.
    I see WW are doing low carb, has anyone here tried it,.
    What are the 'rules' here, when is weigh in day?
    i need support, and I hope I can back on track this year, I should add that I 70yrs old, and I have T2 diabetes, ideally I would like to lose another 3 stone. My daughter has told me that the body finds it own weight, and that as I am no longer losing weight I must have reached my natural weight, but I don't agree with her.
    A photo that was taken on Chrisgmas day has given me enough of a shock to be used as a kick up the backside to try to lose weight.
    Sorry for the essay.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting for the safe arrival of my baby in Mid January but hoping by early March to be back on the healthy eating wagon.

I have a fair bit to lose (won't know how much until my first official weigh-in as I have not be weighing myself whilst pregnant!).

Ideal weight would be 9st. I am 5ft 1in.

I was 10st 7lbs at my booking appointment when I was 8 weeks pregnant and that was the last time I was weighed so I am thinking 3st + to lose :o and that is after the initial weight you lose when you deliver baby! It seems like a mountain to be honest and I need to get my mind right.

Some rough calculations and I think I could do 3st between March and end of Dec 2015. Based loosely on losing a lb a week which is more than doable.

I plan to do a lot of walking, eat low GI, use MFP to meal plan and to allow myself the occasional treat to avoid feeling deprived.

I have successfully lose weight before (almost 3st in 2006 and I did keep it off for many years!) so I know I can do it but it's all about having your mind in the right place.

The most important thing for me now is to enjoy my final weeks of pregnancy and those early days with my new baby - I will not even be thinking about weight loss until things are settled and I feel physically up to it but I just thought I'd note my intentions here and say Howdy to everyone!!

X
    Forum Member
    Had my first weigh in today and coming in a 16 stone 1 1/2lb which was a few pounds heavier than I thought. I guess that can be blamed on Christmas. Next weigh in will be in one months time and hopefully I can hit my target of 1 lb loss per week.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    I lost just over 5 stone following a low carb diet, i have put 7lb back on. I joined Slimming World, but gained weight tyrying to switch from my low carb to their regime.
    I see WW are doing low carb, has anyone here tried it,.
    What are the 'rules' here, when is weigh in day?
    i need support, and I hope I can back on track this year, I should add that I 70yrs old, and I have T2 diabetes, ideally I would like to lose another 3 stone. My daughter has told me that the body finds it own weight, and that as I am no longer losing weight I must have reached my natural weight, but I don't agree with her.
    A photo that was taken on Chrisgmas day has given me enough of a shock to be used as a kick up the backside to try to lose weight.
    Sorry for the essay.

You could give SW another try. They have changed their plans a little bit and put more emphasis on lean proteins, fruits and vegetables. Extra easy is more or less the same but they have a new plan called Extra Easy SP which is mainly speed foods (fruit and veg) and protein.

You can still have your carbs if you want them but they are definitely more limited on SP. A few people in my group that are diabetic seem to like the new plan as the focus is on the food that will be good for them.

There is no weigh in day on this thread. People weigh in different times of the week and not always weekly so you can just update your progress when/if you want to.
  • tinytiddlestinytiddles Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Count me in! I lost 3 1/2st in 2014 by following WeightWatchers, which to be honest is structured around the good old "eat less, move more" ethos. I need something like WW because whilst I know what food is "good" and "bad", I have zero portion control and just eat far too much full stop if given half a chance. I joined a gym in the Summer and actually enjoy it now!

Anyway - got another 2.5st to go in 2015 and I will be at my goal weight. I'm aiming to get there by September/October if my previous weight loss pattern is anything to go by.

Good luck all you "losers" out there!