How many lessons (on average) to pass a driving test?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    Just another question.

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the marking sheet that the examiner uses? The one which lists what is a serious error and a dangerous error (i.e. minor and major?). Is it even publicly available? If not, would anybody who has a recent one mind scanning it in for me?

Thanks.

They give you a copy to keep
    :)
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    djdannyc wrote: »
    They give you a copy to keep
    :)

I know but I wanted to look at one before I take my test. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah that's it. :)
    Its a Driving Test Report DL25A
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I know but I wanted to look at one before I take my test. :)

ooooohh he he you can have mine but i have no idea where i threw them to lol
    Forum Member
    djdannyc wrote: »
    ooooohh he he you can have mine but i have no idea where i threw them to lol

Thankyou but don't worry - somebody has already given me a link to one. :)
  • rachelb65rachelb65 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    It supposed to be 1 for every year of your life - and generally speaking, I think that is probably true.
    Having said that, my daughter took only 15 lessons to pass her test at 17 - but her husband took nearly 40!

I was told that once. Although I'm not so sure if that can still stand today as there seems to be so much more involved with learning to drive now.

And if you're interested I passed 1st time after 4 (official ;) ) lessons 22 years ago...OH taught me when we happened to be out and about in the car :D
    Forum Member
    rachelb65 wrote: »
    I was told that once. Although I'm not so sure if that can still stand today as there seems to be so much more involved with learning to drive now.

And if you're interested I passed 1st time after 4 (official ;) ) lessons 22 years ago...OH taught me when we happened to be out and about in the car :D

These days it's not about learning to drive it's about learning to pass the exam. Nobody drives the same way that they would on the test - if everybody drove like that the roads would come to a standstill and there would be far more accidents!
  • rachelb65rachelb65 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These days it's not about learning to drive it's about learning to pass the exam. Nobody drives the same way that they would on the test - if everybody drove like that the roads would come to a standstill and there would be far more accidents!

I honestly don't know what it's like having lessons or taking a test today compared to 22 years ago. What I was told by the guy I had the 4 lessons from from that it was a matter of confidence they are looking for. Is that the same today?

When I arranged for lessons after my OH taught me I remember getting in the car and explaining to him that I'd been driving all the time with OH and now just need him to get me through the test. He told me to drive off and show him what I could do. A mile up the road he shouted at me to pull over. :eek: . He said no way in the world would I pass as I looked as if I'd already passed I'd been driving for a couple of years. I was far too confident behind a wheel. He spent those 4 lessons making me look like a learner. So from that I've always assumed an instructor and a tester is looking for the middle ground.

How do you think you come across on the confidence level in your driving?
    Forum Member
    rachelb65 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what it's like having lessons or taking a test today compared to 22 years ago. What I was told by the guy I had the 4 lessons from from that it was a matter of confidence they are looking for. Is that the same today?

When I arranged for lessons after my OH taught me I remember getting in the car and explaining to him that I'd been driving all the time with OH and now just need him to get me through the test. He told me to drive off and show him what I could do. A mile up the road he shouted at me to pull over. :eek: . He said no way in the world would I pass as I looked as if I'd already passed I'd been driving for a couple of years. I was far too confident behind a wheel. He spent those 4 lessons making me look like a learner. So from that I've always assumed an instructor and a tester is looking for the middle ground.

How do you think you come across on the confidence level in your driving?

In general I am confident. The only thing I seem to do is sometimes I hesitate at junctions or roundabouts if I feel that a car is approaching too quickly, causing me to *sometimes* wait when I actually had plenty of time to go. This isn't anything major though, certainly not something that can't be fixed with a bit of polishing.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    15 lessons at GBP1.75/hour in 1972!! Passed first time! :D
  • HAZYWOMANHAZYWOMAN Posts: 4,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I start - I know this is subjective, some people take ages some don't. What I am looking for is an average.

Three years ago when I was 18 I began driving lessons. I had between 10 - 15 and then I stopped due to moving away to Uni, where I would not need to drive. At this point I was able to drive normally, although I wasn't the most confident. I hadn't practiced many manuveurs and whilst I could do a three point turn, I sometimes got confused with what my arms and legs were meant to be doing and messed up a little each time.

I moved back to my home village in November and have been taking lessons (with the same instructor) since then. I'd say since then I've had about 15-20 lessons, although since the middle of March I have solidly been doing one a week. Despite being three years since driving a car, I did pretty well on my first new lesson. Since then I've gained lots of confidence (in part due to lots of driving time in my own car), my manuveurs are very good (bay parking, reversing around a corner, three point turn). In my last 5/6 lessons, I can only remember my instructor having to use his dual controls once, and that was coming out a pretty bad junction, and to be honest he beat me to the brakes by a split second.

I am now beginning to get impatient. In total I have done say 30 lessons. Now I know that there was a big gap in between so I will need extra, but surely I should be thinking about booking my practical test now? When I ask my instructor how many more lessons he thinks that I need, he just answers that "it's not something you can put a number too". Now I don't think he's trying to get as much money as possible out of me or anything. I also know he's a good instructor - he works for the local council teaching road safety, as well as testing taxi drivers for the council too.

I know that my driving is generally ok. I regularly go out in my own car (albeit, an automatic) with my mum, a friend, and other relatives who all say that my driving is fine and just needs a little polishing here and there. I don't really have problems with the clutch and the gears, I just find them to be a pain in the arse! :D Also, I am going to start doing two lessons a week from tomorrow.

Does it sound like I am being impatient or that I am right to be concerned that there has been no mention about my driving test yet?

Edit: Sorry, wrong forum. Could a mod move it to Advice please? Thanks.

I had 13 not unlucky for me..
    I did not have to do a theory test tho, I did have to do parallel parking,:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAZYWOMAN wrote: »
    I had 13 not unlucky for me..
    I did not have to do a theory test tho, I did have to do parallel parking,:eek:

I missed the pleasure of that too! God I do feel old :o
    Forum Member
    I missed the pleasure of that too! God I do feel old :o

I've just heard that it isn't included in the test anymore? (Parallel Parking)
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    NickyG55 wrote: »
    15 lessons at GBP1.75/hour in 1972!! Passed first time! :D

Driving tests are getting harder and harder as time goes by though.

Oh, then again, what do I know? I'm just bitter that it took me so many tests to pass. :rolleyes::cool:
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took 16 lessons to pass first time, around 5 years ago now I think..

I found that I quickly got the hang of operating the car's controls though; clutch control was good after only a couple of lessons. Plus I practised a lot outside of paid lessons, which really did help.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just heard that it isn't included in the test anymore? (Parallel Parking)

I hope not - people are bad enough at it already, no one can get in the spaces! (Saying that on our street if you own a car built since the mid 1980s it's too wide to fit in the space anyway!)
    Forum Member
    Small update. :)

This morning I had my theory test..

I passed!

I scored 50/50 on the multiple choice questions, and 59/70 on the hazard perception. On one clip I only scored 1 point, and I am convinced it was one where a man was walking his dog and a tractor comes out of a side road, however I didn't notice this until very late as I was trying to work out what sort of dog it was.. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the person I suppose. I've had 22 and I think I'm ready to sit my test, just need to sit my theory first!