The Robin Williams Memorial Thread

LMLM Posts: 63,460
Forum Member
✭✭
Following the shocking death of one of america's best comedic actors, I decided a thread should be made to celebrate and discuss Robin's many films

He was one of the few male comedic stars who actually made me laugh. He also went on to do some fantastic dramatic work as well.

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I think few actors could do comedy and serious acting so well. His performance in Dead Poet's Society really surprised me. Didn't expect that from a comedian. That long Good Morning Vietnam monologue has to be one of the great moments of cinema.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumanji, Jack, Flubber, Popeye. Patch Adams.. many of my childhood classics and much more.

He was such a diverse actor and could turn his hand to anything. Not to mention Mrs Doubtfire which he's probably most famous for.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch One Hour Photo if you haven`t seen it and, a film that all but vanished, The Final Cut - Great film with another brilliant dramatic performance from him.

Am a bit shocked to see some people citing Coppola`s "Jack" as his best movie. In decades of movie-going it`s one of the worst I`ve seen.

Odd to hear David Hasselhoff of all people on R4 this morning talking about Williams. Random.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Club Paradise is an underrated gem IMO.The Survivors isn't bad either
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Am a bit shocked to see some people citing Coppola`s "Jack" as his best movie. In decades of movie-going it`s one of the worst I`ve seen.

It's all subjective. As a kid, Jack was my favourite movie, and for that reason, it always will be. I adored it growing up, and still do.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great loss. Not just a great actor and comedian, but also one of my favourite people generally because of his infectious energy. For me, his best (acting) work is in GMV, DPS, The Birdcage and Insomnia, but among the perhaps less well known stuff he's done, I'd urge people to check out An Evening At the Met (possibly the funniest stand-up I've ever seen), Seize The Day (an early 'serious' film), The Night Listener and World's Greatest Dad.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Like everyone else I was shocked to find out last night that this had happened & just can't believe he's gone.

My favourite RW movies are 'Death To Smoochy', 'Good Will Hunting' & 'World's Greatest Dad' so I'll no doubt be revisiting those in the next few days.

RIP Robin:(...
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't just an actor he was a legend and a mastermind. I for one am truly, truly devastated about this news. I never thought this would happen. I just keep hoping its a dream... :( I'm so upset... :(

Rest in peace Robin Williams. I have no idea what you were going through but I hope you've found peace wherever you are.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't put into words what other people have said so beautifully, so I'll just post this clip. When I first saw this movie, Robin's performance managed to touch and inspire me at a time when I needed it the most. I hope he knew how loved he was, and still is.

O Captain, my Captain
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hook was the first movie of his I watched in 1992 which still remains a childhood favourite. Sad that two cast members from it have now died in the same year. R.I.P. Smee and Peter Pan.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Want to Watch World Greatest Dad, had never heard of it till today, looks good.

I really liked One Hour Photo, very creepy, Dead Poets and Good Morning Vietnam are classics.

His Popeye was well done too, even if the film itself wasn't great.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't his biggest fan but it's very sad news indeed. My favourite films of his would have to be The World According To Garp. Masterpiece.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Doubtfire is still one of my favourite rainy day films. Jumanji captured my imagination as a child, watched it dozens of times as a kid. Aladdin is a Disney Classic. Jack was a touching film.

One of his lesser known films, The Birdcage, is fantastically funny, I recommend it to anyone.

Wonder what will happen with Mrs Doubtfire 2? I hope Hollywood drops the idea as it wouldn't be the same with anyone else.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hook, Jumanji, Mrs Doubtfire, Flubber and Bicentennial Man were all films I grew up with. He sure had a distinct personality and I always got excited whenever our school showed one of his films. He was brilliantly creepy in Insomnia.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R.I.P. Robin.
    Unlike most people, I never liked Mrs Doubtfire.
    I thought One Hour Photo was one of his best.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Robin.
    Unlike most people, I never liked Mrs Doubtfire.
    I thought One Hour Photo was one of his best.

I've heard great things about that but I've never seen it.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard great things about that but I've never seen it.

:o Find it.
    Watch it.
    NOW !!
    :D
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very talented actor and has left behind such a rich body of work.

So many different roles and different types of films.

I doubt anyone can say they did not enjoy at least one of his performances.

Although his acting quite rightly has been talked about I think his stand up work was also fantastic (broke many records).

Was someone I always wanted to see live but sadly never got the chance
  • A_SmurfA_Smurf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Another film that people might not be so familiar with is Nine Months with Hugh Grant and Julienne Moore. Robin played this eccentric Russian (I think) doctor and the delivery room scene with the two sets of couples and the the doctor is one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen. It's worth the watch, usually on terrestrial tv sometimes but hasn't been on in quite a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    :o Find it.
    Watch it.
    NOW !!
    :D

Totally agree.

What a sad loss. I feel for his family at this time. :(
  • Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most memorable RW film for me was The Awakenings also staring De Niro, based on true events, very touching. Followed by Jack, Insomnia, Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs Doubtfire, Such sad news and a great loss to the film industry. :(
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Had everything to live for. Money friends family, nothing to worry about,what a waste.
  • Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Watch One Hour Photo if you haven`t seen it and, a film that all but vanished, The Final Cut - Great film with another brilliant dramatic performance from him.

Odd to hear David Hasselhoff of all people on R4 this morning talking about Williams. Random.

One Hour Photo is absolutely superb. You cannot help but feel really sorry for Sy Parrish, the 'photo guy'. Brilliant, brilliant acting on the part of RW.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Jumanji, Jack, Flubber, Popeye. Patch Adams.. many of my childhood classics and much more.

He was such a diverse actor and could turn his hand to anything. Not to mention Mrs Doubtfire which he's probably most famous for.

Absolutely. A lot of my childhood were those films plus more including Mork and Mindy. I loved Robin Williams then and i still do now. A wonderful man.

A total legend.
    A comedy genius
    An improv God.
    Such a damn shame.
    You will be missed.

Rest In Peace.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thumbs up for One Hour Photo, simply the best acting job he ever did. He's so unrecognisable and genuinely unnerving, the dark side of comedy actors don't get darker than this. It's been overlooked for far too long and deserves to been seen by even the most casual fan of Williams work.