Options

Less Than Two Weeks To The Xmas Number One And....

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
Forum Member
We dont even know what the song will be! I remember a time when the song that was destined to be the years xmas number one would already be in the charts or even already at number one. Since The Spice Girls in 1996 the Xmas number one has usually been a new entry on Xmas week. Except in 2004 when Band Aid 20 was in place by late November. Last year was a complete farce with that heavy metal dirge at number one for one week. It then dropped about 22 places down the charts and was forgotten within days! But back to this year. Assuming its The X Factor winner then we wont know until next Sunday which artist will be Xmas number one. But what song will it be? Does anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgotten within days? RATMs song will be headbanged to for generations, it's a heavy-metal classic. I know another song released around that time though that has been forgotten about *cough* The Climb *cough* :rolleyes:

Hopefully something will beat that awful X-Factor rubbish again this year. ANYTHING is better than whatever Simon Cowell comes up with.
  • Options
    WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Many songs are in the running, off the top of my head

Ellie Goulding - Your Song (Released in November)
    Mariah Carey - AIWFCIY (as per-usual)
    Pogues ft. Kirsty MacColl - FTONY (as per-usual)
    X Factor Winner - X Factor Winner's Song (the bookies favourite)
    Trashmen - Surfin' Bird (Probably the largest campaign)
    Gamu Nhengu - Where Will You Sleep This Christmas? (released soon)
    Coldplay - Christmas Lights

And....

MJ - Hold my hand
    George Michael - December Song
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Go Compare Man is releasing a single too :D
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Go Compare Man is releasing a single too :D

Indeed you can check out the video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_W9rIPAkdY

It's in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust too.

Other runners include Coldplay's Christmas Lights and The Killers Boots
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Assuming its The X Factor winner then we wont know until next Sunday which artist will be Xmas number one. But what song will it be? Does anybody know?

I heard a rumour that its Britney Spears' Stronger, I hope not as no one can sing like her and they just won't be able to do it justice. If it is to be stronger though, the ideal scenario would be the X Factor winners' version completely flops but people are reminded of the excellence of Britney Spears' version making Britney the Xmas no 1.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    x+y wrote: »
    Indeed you can check out the video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_W9rIPAkdY

OMG :eek::D I know the Go Compare song's for charity but it's just :eek:
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x+y wrote: »

I just listened to it and I really like it :D Definately going on my mp3 on christmas week. I hope he does well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    as we're talking about the go compare guy:

Here's one - the purpose isn't to get into number 1, far from it: the idea is to somehow get into the top 40 and get children's hospice's in the national press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJVITsD3wCQ

can't see it happening though, the facebook numbers aren't great!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Normally I object to the X-Factor number-one, but I think Rebecca Ferguson (the definite winner)'s voice it too brilliant to keep from the top spot.

I hope they choose a song that'll do both it, and Ferguson's voice justice. I think Ellie Goulding's "Your Song" has been around for too long now for it to get number-one, but it is still in the Top 3, which is great. Can't see The Killers or Coldplay claiming it either, unless serious promotion occurs.