Ipad mini, wifi or wifi and cellular?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
This is all new to me as I haven't had a tablet before and I'm confused about connections.

We have wifi at home for our family PC so would want the wifi Ipad but then I spend quite a few weeks away from home every summer and would like to keep my connection options open - if only I knew what they are.

Big difference between cost of wifi/cellular as opposed to wifi only so do I need this or is there another way of connecting (mifi?). I don't have a smartphone - only a basic pay-as-you-go so connecting via a phone is not an option.

Can someone help please with advice - and please bear in mind I'm new to all this.

Thanks

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    This is all new to me as I haven't had a tablet before and I'm confused about connections.

We have wifi at home for our family PC so would want the wifi Ipad but then I spend quite a few weeks away from home every summer and would like to keep my connection options open - if only I knew what they are.

Big difference between cost of wifi/cellular as opposed to wifi only so do I need this or is there another way of connecting (mifi?). I don't have a smartphone - only a basic pay-as-you-go so connecting via a phone is not an option.

Can someone help please with advice - and please bear in mind I'm new to all this.

Thanks

You may not be aware of it, but the wifi only version doesn't have GPS. This may be a factor if you want to use maps
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    You may not be aware of it, but the wifi only version doesn't have GPS. This may be a factor if you want to use maps

well it has pseudo-GPS.
    it can use WIFI based geo-location to get a vague idea of where you are.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    well it has pseudo-GPS.
    it can use WIFI based geo-location to get a vague idea of where you are.

Agreed, but when out walking in the middle of nowhere but with Ordnance Survey maps stored locally on the iPad, there aren't too many wifi hotspots around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, but when out walking in the middle of nowhere but with Ordnance Survey maps stored locally on the iPad, there aren't too many wifi hotspots around.

well obviously, but not sure in that situation i'd be whipping out an ipad mini anyway (or even have it with me). chances are you'll have a smartphone with you.

and even in that situation, you really shouldn't be relying on phones for navigation.
    Forum Member
    well obviously, but not sure in that situation i'd be whipping out an ipad mini anyway (or even have it with me). chances are you'll have a smartphone with you.

and even in that situation, you really shouldn't be relying on phones for navigation.

The mini is the perfect size to fit in my bumbag, it makes a great navigation device. Saves putting on reading glasses to look at the same map on my iPhone.
    I'm not suggesting relying on it in a life threatening situation, but frankly GPS based navigation is far more reliable and trustworthy than the average person's map reading skills. I always have at least two devices with me that have maps when walking and I always have a backup battery (with USB output).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mini is the perfect size to fit in my bumbag, it makes a great navigation device. Saves putting on reading glasses to look at the same map on my iPhone.
    I'm not suggesting relying on it in a life threatening situation, but frankly GPS based navigation is far more reliable and trustworthy than the average person's map reading skills. I always have at least two devices with me that have maps when walking and I always have a backup battery (with USB output).

not sure where you are locally, but here in scotland there has been a few "events" recently where people have had to be helicoptered off hills because they were relying on phones to guide them, and once the battery runs out or they lose signal it all goes tits up.
    Forum Member
    not sure where you are locally, but here in scotland there has been a few "events" recently where people have had to be helicoptered off hills because they were relying on phones to guide them, and once the battery runs out or they lose signal it all goes tits up.

I agree there is a problem if people rely on technology irresponsibly. I would always carry a paper map if remote, and also have a spare power source for my devices, but still maintain there is far more chance of getting lost by misinterpreting paper map information than relying on GPS technology. Also, I find an electronic version of the O/S map a heck of a lot easier to see detail on than a paper map (I can zoom in to read words).
  • mutman62mutman62 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    iPad as a map what a fool
    Forum Member
    mutman62 wrote: »
    iPad as a map what a fool

What's so foolish about that ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I went for the wifi model. didn't see the point in paying the extra when you can tether it to your phone.
    Forum Member
    I went for the wifi model. didn't see the point in paying the extra when you can tether it to your phone.

I have to agree that it is a luxury, but I must say there is something nice about switching it on and having it instantly connected to the internet. Although I have both my iPhone and full size iPad with tethering capability I still bought a 3G mini as I find tethering at times rather erratic.