Worst delivered lines in Doctor Who

Comments

• YosheeYoshee Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    In The Wedding of River Song, Amy's 'You took my baby from, and you hurt her, but now she's fine' is an awful line, and awful expressed. Karen Gillan has always been incapable of delivering lines right.

I love that line. :eek: You missed out the last part when she says "but I'll never see my baby again". To me, it really conveys Amy's pain and rage towards Madame Kovarian, the woman who stole her child away. It's like 'you took my baby and tried to turn her into a monster, and you failed... but that doesn't mean I'll forgive you, or save you.' Something like that anyway.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cattlefield has some SHOUTY corkers:

"BOOOOOOOOOOM!"

"THERE. WILL. BE. NO. BATTLE. HERE!"

"MAGNIFICENT!"

Plus special mention should go to the truly awful scene in which Ace is turned a bit racist by Morgaine's magic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    In The Wedding of River Song, Amy's 'You took my baby from, and you hurt her, but now she's fine' is an awful line, and awful expressed. Karen Gillan has always been incapable of delivering lines right.

I know what you mean. The line in A Town Called Mercy is a good example. She says "Have you been taking stupid lessons since we last saw you", but she seems to get it all wrong and it comes out that the lessons are stupid as opposed to being lessons about being stupid. What would the lessons be about if they weren't about being stupid! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Glib - every.single.time.

"I'm very clever" Saying it is too try-hard - we (and everyone on screen) should take it as read. People called River smug, but she couldn't come close to Ten at his worse. It made my teeth hurt when he said it. Tennant's a good actor, so maybe it's the characterisation that made me cringe at so many things he said.

No such uncertainty with Clara! I find her line deliveries only really soar when she's alone with the wooden-top twins. Extremely attractive, but weak acting. She can't compete with Matt, or Alex, so, it'll be interesting - or amusing - too see how she does if she has a lot of one on one scenes with John Hurt...:D
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    The Doctor's rant to the assembled space fleets at Stonehenge always makes me think of Delia Smith's drunken 'Where are you?' speech..!
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean. The line in A Town Called Mercy is a good example. She says "Have you been taking stupid lessons since we last saw you", but she seems to get it all wrong and it comes out that the lessons are stupid as opposed to being lessons about being stupid. What would the lessons be about if they weren't about being stupid! :D

It's always came across to me correctly.
  • WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    "If we fight like animals, we die like animals" good line, poorly delivered by McCoy.

i too find that Jenna is a bit dodgy on certain line deliveries. Her accent seems to literally go all over the place and they are also said with so little conviction it can sound like shes reading off the page.

I would also suggest every single line uttered by Adric, Nyssa and Tegan in Season 19.

Finally Matt's Pandorica speech which has the line "just remember who's standing in your way" and he slurs the end of the line which makes him sound drunk. I still like it though. :D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhoMad wrote: »
    "If we fight like animals, we die like animals" good line, poorly delivered by McCoy.

I actually really liked that line. I'm not sure McCoy was capable of delivering that sort of line very well, but I still thought it was far from terrible.
    Yes though. Anything Matthew Waterhouse says (or even does) as Adric is pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhoMad wrote: »
    Finally Matt's Pandorica speech which has the line "just remember who's standing in your way" and he slurs the end of the line which makes him sound drunk. I still like it though. :D

Moffat ripped off the whole speech from a drunk on the streets of Cardiff arguing with seagulls.
    'You lot, you're all whizzing about, it's really distracting. Stand still a minute...I am TALKING! (hiccup) Question of the hour is "who's got this Panini?". Answer is = "I do". Next (hiccup) question: "who's going to take it from me?" Come on then! (stumbles) Look at me: no mates, no wallet, no change worth a damn, oh and something else - I don't have anything to lose! So if you're sitting up there in your silly little nests with your silly little...wings, just remember who's standing in your way (falls on bum - gets up). Remember every black day I've ever stopped you, and then - AND THEN - do the smart thing...'

'...GO F*** YOURSELVES!...'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not the mind probe !!

Still makes me wince decades later..:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "There's nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality!"
    has to be pretty rubbish. I'm not even sure it makes sense.
  • drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    "I don't want to go" :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member

No. I got that it was lessons about being stupid. I think you answered the point yourself. In what context would she say that if it didn't refer to lessens about being stupid.
    Forum Member
    Yoshee wrote: »
    I love that line. :eek: You missed out the last part when she says "but I'll never see my baby again". To me, it really conveys Amy's pain and rage towards Madame Kovarian, the woman who stole her child away. It's like 'you took my baby and tried to turn her into a monster, and you failed... but that doesn't mean I'll forgive you, or save you.' Something like that anyway.

And followed by the brilliant 'River Song didn't get it all from you, Sweetie!'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yingguoren wrote: »
    No. I got that it was lessons about being stupid. I think you answered the point yourself. In what context would she say that if it didn't refer to lessens about being stupid.

Same here. The thought that it could be misinterpreted as taking lessons which were stupid never even crossed my mind until I read it here.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Everybody lives" as delivered by CE.

(I know I'm the only person in the entire universe who thinks this).

No, it makes me cringe too!

Mine is Tennant from my favourite story Utopia

'Please...I'm asking you really properly...' awful lines/ad lib and awful awful delivery!
    Forum Member
    When they try to get the words 'Doctor Who?' into the script it often sounds really poor. The worst time was when they were spoken by Jackie Tyler in the first Christmas special. 'What do you mean he's the Doctor? Doctor Who?'

To be fair to Camille, I think it was just a badly written line that would have sounded forced if it had been said by any actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yingguoren wrote: »
    When they try to get the words 'Doctor Who?' into the script it often sounds really poor. The worst time was when they were spoken by Jackie Tyler in the first Christmas special. 'What do mean he's the Doctor? Doctor Who?'

To be fair to Camille, I think it was just a badly written line that would have sounded forced if it had been said by any actor.

Doctor WHO? Doc-tor WHOO? Doc-tor WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoshee wrote: »
    I haaaaaaaaaaaate yoouu. xD
    Terrible isn't it? So amateurish. :D

Along with the way she stabs him, very slowly and carefully as if making sure to hit the exact spot prepared by the wardrobe and effects people.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A megabyte modem!"

"How utterly evil!"

"There's nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality!"

Ah. Episode 14 of The Trial of a Time Lord. It's as though the actors really wanted to convey the crapness of Pip and Jane's script.

Don't forget Bonnie's very subtle 'You're taking advantage of the Doctor's romantic nature!':D
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three dreadful lines with dreadful delivery, all from Sarah Sutton as Nyssa:

1. The Watcher! So he was the Doctor all along!
    2. I know so little about telebiogenesis.
    3. What is this dreadful place?! (exploring Terminus)

Haha, I remember the first line,so true, dreadful. Every word enunciated and in a sing song voice. No wonder she gave up acting. ;) Also from Logopolis when Adric sees Nyssa, his cry of " Nyssa!" is hammy and theatrical in the extreme.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cattlefield has some SHOUTY corkers:

"BOOOOOOOOOOM!"

"THERE. WILL. BE. NO. BATTLE. HERE!"

"MAGNIFICENT!"

Plus special mention should go to the truly awful scene in which Ace is turned a bit racist by Morgaine's magic.

Can I say I love you? :D
    BOOOOOOM!
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    No, it makes me cringe too!

Mine is Tennant from my favourite story Utopia

'Please...I'm asking you really properly...' awful lines/ad lib and awful awful delivery!

Good call on that one from Utopia. Its always grated me.

I hate Wilfs breakdown into tears in TEOT when he says something like 'You are a wonderful man and I don't want you to die' or similar. He was usually brilliant but that line and the delivery tipped over into mawkish melodrama.

I am amazed there has been no mention for Marthas 'I'm bringing you BACK to earth'. Awful line. Even worse delivery.

'Hello Sweetie' it gets more irritating every time its said. I like River but this is attempted sassyness rather than natural sass. And it fails everytime.

Anytime Donna said something like 'watch it spaceman/spaceboy' etc
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good call on that one from Utopia. Its always grated me.

I hate Wilfs breakdown into tears in TEOT when he says something like 'You are a wonderful man and I don't want you to die' or similar. He was usually brilliant but that line and the delivery tipped over into mawkish melodrama.

I am amazed there has been no mention for Marthas 'I'm bringing you BACK to earth'. Awful line. Even worse delivery.

'Hello Sweetie' it gets more irritating every time its said. I like River but this is attempted sassyness rather than natural sass. And it fails everytime.

Anytime Donna said something like 'watch it spaceman/spaceboy' etc

Am I the only one who actually likes that line? :o I thought it was fine, a bit cheesy, but fine by me....I thought Freema did it ok too....:o

I agree with your hating of that Wilf line...it was just plain awful. I can't agree with the Hello Sweetie thing though...I still think it's great! :p
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually likes that line? :o I thought it was fine, a bit cheesy, but fine by me....I thought Freema did it ok too....:o

I agree with your hating of that Wilf line...it was just plain awful. I can't agree with the Hello Sweetie thing though...I still think it's great! :p

Its a funny one with the River line as I liked it to begin with and thought the gag at the beginning of The Pandorica Opens was brilliant. I think it's Kingston who overplays it a little bit more everytime she says it.