Options

How is the British film industry getting on?

JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
Forum Member
I remember as a kid in the 90s being aware of the British film industry struggling for funding. The Full Monty was massively hyped because it was a successful, home grown film.

Fast forward to present day, without being particularly knowledgable on the subject, British film appears to be booming. Are the Bond films still British owned, or are they classed as American films? Harry Potter, British owned mega franchise that now includes a major attraction at Universal Studios. Brits have always been good technically, but from what I gather, Brits are always picking up technical awards at the Oscars, British directors are heading up huge movies and British actors are all over American film and TV.

I know the film industry in this country benefits from tax breaks and probably lottery funding, but can someone more knowledgable fill me on in how the industry is in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Mcevoy flying the flag for us in Hollywood. We are in good hands :D
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think either the Bond or Potter movies are owned by British companies , the majority of the profits go to American owned studios I believe .
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite healthy, In the last few years we've had big hits like The King Speech, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and The Theory of Everything coupled with interesting , slightly experimental films like Under the Skin and A Field in England. There are others of course but this is an example.

In all honesty though the origin of a films nation gets harder as the world gets more globalised and big multinational media conglomerates take control of the industry.

Bond is a great example. British source material.....but American money.....but Columbia is a subsidiary of Sony....So is it part Japanese.?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ■ A total of 255 UK films (199 in 2013) received final certification as
    British in 2014. Of these, 240 were films which passed the cultural
    test and 15 were official co-productions.
    ■ The total production budget of finally certified cultural test films
    was £1,856 million (£1,353 million in 2013); the total budget of
    finally certified co-productions was £68 million
    (£113 million in 2013).
    ■ Twenty-five cultural test films had budgets of over £10 million,
    up from 16 in 2013.
    ■ In 2014, the median budget for cultural test films was £0.3 million;
    the median budget for co-productions was £4 million.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/downloads/bfi-film-other-screen-sector-productions-certified-as-british-2015-11-04.pdf
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blockbusters are usually paid for with American money, but does that make them American films if they are made here with British casts and crews? It is a question of perspective. Are the 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Hobbit' trilogies American films or New Zealand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wingnut films is a NZ company so it's a NZ co-production.
  • Options
    Enlighten_mentEnlighten_ment Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I don't remember there ever being much of a 'British film industry', at least not one that's of any relevance. Even with these co-productions we like to kid ourselves that it's a level playing field when it's not, the key decisions and financial backing are still made by the big American studios. The Hollywood backing of the likes of Harry Potter and the Bond films made them the global phenomenons that they are.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,332
    Forum Member
    I don't remember there ever being much of a 'British film industry', at least not one that's of any relevance.
    If your memory only stretches back to the mid-seventies, you perhaps have a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a cottage industry as there are no major British studios. Producers mostly rely on upfront finance from distributors, TV companies and various government backing (BFI and regional).
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    It's a bit of a cottage industry as there are no major British studios. Producers mostly rely on upfront finance from distributors, TV companies and various government backing (BFI and regional).

Yeah, that probably about right. It still really is a very small scale industry. Really, it's just a tack-on one compared to the UK's TV industry. Most of the talent and money gets funneled into that.

It's better than it was. I do remember when Barry Norman had his famous BBC film program, and his commenting on it. I suppose in the 1990s, it did take a certain upturn :
    Howard's End, The Crying Game, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Full Monty, etc.

Trouble is, Channel 4 have downgraded their film output nowadays. It's not what it was. We don't have a major UK based distributor(I think Palace Pictures was probably the last one in the 1980s and they went bankrupt after The Crying Game). It's also difficult to get major distribution in the USA, unless you link-up with someone like Miramax - and then I think a lot the profits go to them.

A lot of the blockbusters(Star Wars, James Bond) - whilst filmed here and using the studios(Elstree, Pinewood, etc.) come from US money. Most of that goes back to the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The top 10 distributors take 97% of the box office.

All Hollywood majors except for Studiocanal (French), E One (Canadian) and Entertainment (British).