Options

Oled tvs?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few years ago my uncle told me these will be tvs to have. Apparently they've been out since 2012 but were very expensive but LG's offering is £2.500 in currys. No doubt next year the big boys will be bringing out theirs. In an article i read it said these are perfect for gaming but I've also heard they do suffer from image retention similar to plasmas so surely that's not ideal when playing games. Does anyone have one of these. Maybe even this one.http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55ef950v-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-55-oled-tv-10137727-pdt.html

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    A few years ago my uncle told me these will be tvs to have. Apparently they've been out since 2012 but were very expensive but LG's offering is £2.500 in currys. No doubt next year the big boys will be bringing out theirs. In an article i read it said these are perfect for gaming but I've also heard they do suffer from image retention similar to plasmas so surely that's not ideal when playing games. Does anyone have one of these. Maybe even this one.http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55ef950v-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-55-oled-tv-10137727-pdt.html

OLED is pretty well 'failed' technology - tiny ones came out years ago (mobile phones and such), and it was presumed that it was just a matter of 'scaling up'.

However, this didn't work, and billions have been spent trying to achieve it, with most manufacturers giving up on the idea - it's also been suggested that so much has been spent on development, that projected sales will never cover the development costs.

As far as I'm aware LG are the main developer now, and are supposedly responsible for the new silly curved screens, as they originally couldn't make OLED ones that were straight.

It's a LOT of money, but if it's something you fancy, they go for it :D

Have you been to Currys and compared the pictures on display with other sets?.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    IIRC from my days working with a mobile OEM manufacturer OLED displays do have an image retention problem, particularly with the colour blue. Also I've had a Samsung S3 with an OLED screen. There's a game I played on it which had a bit of static blue in the UI and has burnt into the screen. So if you're primary use is gaming I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLED is pretty well 'failed' technology - tiny ones came out years ago (mobile phones and such), and it was presumed that it was just a matter of 'scaling up'.

However, this didn't work, and billions have been spent trying to achieve it, with most manufacturers giving up on the idea - it's also been suggested that so much has been spent on development, that projected sales will never cover the development costs.

As far as I'm aware LG are the main developer now, and are supposedly responsible for the new silly curved screens, as they originally couldn't make OLED ones that were straight.

It's a LOT of money, but if it's something you fancy, they go for it :D

Have you been to Currys and compared the pictures on display with other sets?.

No not been in to currys for a few weeks. Didn't realise it's already failed. Not looking to get a TV. At the moment I'm more than happy with my Sony w905. I've no interest in the curved TV which i have seen in currys but couldn't even tell the difference between that and straight ones. May invest in a 4k TV in a couple of years, was gonna be a oled but that doesn't look likely now.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you look at the forums at avforums.com for the reviews etc of the latest LG OLEDS. They are not made in the same way as the early (failed) versions.
    And you can have a flat one now!
    The ones in the shops now have definitely not failed!
    There will be more out next year in smaller sizes too.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLED displays are the only growth industry, cost falling enough for them to be hitting middle end soon.

High manufacturing cost always meant OLED was niche high end until very recent.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OLED is not a failure, it's just still low yeild. The latest 4K OLED TVs are the best you can buy. The reason they are curved is just to show off that they can.

I'm waiting for a sensible priced OLED 4K TV to replace my 6 year old plasma.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    OLED is not a failure, it's just still low yeild. The latest 4K OLED TVs are the best you can buy. The reason they are curved is just to show off that they can.

I'm waiting for a sensible priced OLED 4K TV to replace my 6 year old plasma.

Got my pioneer plasma upstairs for sky multiroom. I remembered how fantastic picture was but when i switched it I was quite surprised how different it was to my Sony led TV downstairs. It is 7 years old so probably shouldn't of been surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got my pioneer plasma upstairs for sky multiroom. I remembered how fantastic picture was but when i switched it I was quite surprised how different it was to my Sony led TV downstairs. It is 7 years old so probably shouldn't of been surprised.

What spec was the Plasma?, it was probably not Full HD and they look pretty poor on HD because of it (unlike HD Ready LCD which look great on HD). The early Plasma's weren't even SD resolution, and were only 480 pixels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What spec was the Plasma?, it was probably not Full HD and they look pretty poor on HD because of it (unlike HD Ready LCD which look great on HD). The early Plasma's weren't even SD resolution, and were only 480 pixels.

No it wasn't full HD. It was 7 series tv. Got it in 07.http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/pioneer-pdp-427xd-113273/review
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I still prefer my plasma to LED, which is why I'm waiting for something genuinely better to replace it. At the moment, OLED is the logical replacement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLED has Plasma screen like qualities though recent improvements are said to make it a 'best of both worlds' tech.

With costlier to run and make Plasma now dead tech, I am mildly sure OLED is the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    OLED has Plasma screen like qualities though recent improvements are said to make it a 'best of both worlds' tech.

With costlier to run and make Plasma now dead tech, I am mildly sure OLED is the future.

Unfortunately though if i want to play games on my TV then its not gonna be suitable. Don't know why reviews say its good for gaming if it isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately though if i want to play games on my TV then its not gonna be suitable. Don't know why reviews say its good for gaming if it isn't.

Input lag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Input lag.

And image retention.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The concept really appeals to me. I love my rich dark blacks.

What puts me off is the fact that so few companies are producing them.

If Sony get onboard I might be interested but Inwill definitely not be buying a curved scree.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    The concept really appeals to me. I love my rich dark blacks.

What puts me off is the fact that so few companies are producing them.

If Sony get onboard I might be interested but Inwill definitely not be buying a curved scree.

At the moment LG are the only player in the OLED game, Panasonics OLED TVs have screens made by LG as is Sony's upcoming OLED TV, even Samung is rumoured to be having another crack at OLED again with an LG sourced screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment LG are the only player in the OLED game, Panasonics OLED TVs have screens made by LG as is Sony's upcoming OLED TV, even Samung is rumoured to be having another crack at OLED again with an LG sourced screen.
    Samsung and other companies make the small OLED screens for phones etc. but nobody apart from LG seems to want to make the huge investment into making the large screens for TVs.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just installed the new 65" Panasonic OLED and have to say the picture quality was amazing. I know it's an LG screen inside but the extra work that Panasonic put in on the picture processing makes a big difference. Yeah, it's £8k but that'll come down to sensible pricing and will be the replacement for my trusted Plasma in a couple of years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    Just installed the new 65" Panasonic OLED and have to say the picture quality was amazing. I know it's an LG screen inside but the extra work that Panasonic put in on the picture processing makes a big difference. Yeah, it's £8k but that'll come down to sensible pricing and will be the replacement for my trusted Plasma in a couple of years!

Is it a 4k oled tv?
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »

I wonder how good the LG 4k oled TV is? It's LG so people usually say mid range tvs so best wait for the big names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder how good the LG 4k oled TV is? It's LG so people usually say mid range tvs so best wait for the big names.

As skinj said, Panasonic (and Sony) use better processing than the middling brands, so tend to give better results from identical panels - but go and look at them, and see what YOU think.
  • Options
    witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I am looking at getting an LG OLED flat screen tv. The price has come down a lot recently with Curry’s selling a 4k version for £2500. I don’t think they are a failed technology – why would they give you a 5 year guarantee in that case!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    witham1 wrote: »
    I don’t think they are a failed technology

Promised so much, for so many years, and still haven't delivered - that's failure in my book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could buy a 15" OLED TV for £1000+ just a couple of years ago.

In your book I expect the Ferrari Dino was a failure too, and all hybrid cars too.