Bridge of Spies

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
saw this last night -

its alright , but it feels very long , and for not much story . Hanks is fine as always , Rylance is very understated and he's not in it much .

it captures the period brilliantly , but I just got the sense that it thought it was being far more sophisticated and meaningful than it really was .

Comments

• stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    A lot of the more serious Spielberg stuff, isn't easy to like - in my opinion. Although, I am intrigued by this - and I'm planning on seeing it next week. Rylance is an actor who always brings something to the part he plays - so, that might entice me.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Cheers OP. I'd like to see this as I've heard it's one of Spielberg's better ones of recent, and he is very patchy these days (Munich is about the best of his post 2000 work I'd say). Could be an awards contender apparently.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the trailer for this at the cinema last week, and was almost hopping up and down in my seat with excitement when I saw Mark Rylance was in it. One of my favourite genres and a brilliant actor (or two). I really must catch it while it's on the big screen.

An interesting interview with Rylance at BBC News today:
    Mark Rylance: From Bridge of Spies to BFG
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers OP. I'd like to see this as I've heard it's one of Spielberg's better ones of recent, and he is very patchy these days (Munich is about the best of his post 2000 work I'd say). Could be an awards contender apparently.

Munich is brilliant , this is much more ponderous , like Lincoln , the trailer makes it look tense and exciting but it isn't .
    Forum Member
    Munich is brilliant , this is much more ponderous , like Lincoln , the trailer makes it look tense and exciting but it isn't .
    Thanks. I shall have to approach with caution, but I'm still interested in what brought a stage giant like Rylance on board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah , I'm not trying to put anyone off , but don't expect a tense nail-biter like Munich , this is much more talky .
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it!

I'm not a spy story person, but the superb acting. pacing and filming kept me enthralled.

I'd say there's a few Oscars coming up.
    Forum Member
    Mark Kermode has given it a positive review. I think from most of the reviews it has got, it's a solid workman-like film - not top tier Spielberg, but I suppose it's still good.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    One of the best films I've seen this year.

Tom & Steve, at their best....fascinating story, period detail perfect and the running time, didn't feel like 2+ hours, it went by very quickly.

Emotional by the end too...which I wasn't expecting.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I beg to differ. I got tickets for a sat night on the opening weekend and paid through the nose, expecting it to be intelligent, tense and very well done. I found it flat and with little dramatic tension.
    I don't have a problem with slow, as long as it's well done. For eg, I loved A Most Wanted Man, but then Hanks isn't Hoffmann, nor did I like the script. Very disappointed.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Excellent film! I'm not very good at following spy films (I am old) but this was great and I had no trouble following the very interesting storyline. Good acting as always from Mark Rylance and Tom Hanks.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it today. A very good example of film making but maybe not the best example of story telling. Everything plays out as you would expect and there's never any real danger or suspense in the film. The dialogue has a few funny moments but other than that it's your standard stuff.

I was looking forward to the end from about an hour in, about the same time the guy behind me started snoring away!
    Forum Member
    Saw it and liked it. A mature, historic spy drama with contemporary overtones. Hanks and Rylance both impress, but the film is Spielberg's, here in pure craftsman mode.

That's not faint praise, btw. In an age when even prominent directors show a fumbling hand with the basics his smooth, consumate control of scenes, dialogue etc isn't something we should take for granted. Perhaps it could've been a bit harder here and there, but this is still fine enough, and may bag a few noms in the coming weeks. 7.5/10
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it and liked it. A mature, historic spy drama with contemporary overtones. Hanks and Rylance both impress, but the film is Spielberg's, here in pure craftsman mode.

That's not faint praise, btw. In an age when even prominent directors show a fumbling hand with the basics his smooth, consumate control of scenes, dialogue etc isn't something we should take for granted. Perhaps it could've been a bit harder here and there, but this is still fine enough, and may bag a few noms in the coming weeks. 7.5/10

Agreed, though I'd probably rate it 8/10. It's a proper old-school film where every shot is correctly composed, the lighting is just right (you can see what's going on even when it's dark!) and the dialogue is both audible and worth hearing (presumably the Coens' handiwork). Some of the photography just made me smile with pleasure because it was so well-done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just realised - John Williams did not do the score :o
    Forum Member
    ^Yeah, I noticed that when the credits rolled. Thomas Newman. Guess Williams must have been busy with Star Wars.

Anyway, saw this last week. Yeah, it's solid and workman like. A mature work from Spielberg. You get your money's worth - so to speak, in terms of a solid film trying to be intelligent and not talk down to you. I guess people still underestimate Hanks as a dramatic actor - but he is very good in this film - has good chemistry with Rylance(I hope they do more work together). Sadly, Rylance isn't in it that much - I would have wanted him more in this film.

Good, but not spectacular.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this i thought, this must be what having sex with a septuagenarian virginal spinster is like. Strange, a bit dry, a "first", and not something i would ever do again. But others loved it ( its a crazy world ).
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was on TV last night. I cannot stand mistakes in films, now if they're small then I suppose it doesn't matter, but in this at the beginning it was stated that the year was 1957 - that was the only time a year was mentioned, nobody said anything like I've been doing this or that or the other for the last 4 years, the reason I said 4 is because the Berlin Wall was not built until the year 1961 (13th August of that year to be precise, ie summer, people were seen in this film building parts of the wall in the snow); it ruined the film for me.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently saw this and thought it was really good. Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance are superb
  • Laurel1neLaurel1ne Posts: 15,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was on TV last night. I cannot stand mistakes in films, now if they're small then I suppose it doesn't matter, but in this at the beginning it was stated that the year was 1957 - that was the only time a year was mentioned, nobody said anything like I've been doing this or that or the other for the last 4 years, the reason I said 4 is because the Berlin Wall was not built until the year 1961 (13th August of that year to be precise, ie summer, people were seen in this film building parts of the wall in the snow); it ruined the film for me.

Though the wall wasn't built in '61, there was demarcation between West and East Berlin from '47 onwards , so even without a wall there were official crossing points between East and West Berlin where Western officials were required to show papers before entering East Berlin

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurel1ne wrote: »

Though the wall wasn't built in '61, there was demarcation between West and East Berlin from '47 onwards , so even without a wall there were official crossing points between East and West Berlin where Western officials were required to show papers before entering East Berlin

I know that - but this film specifically talked about & showed a wall.
  • MrSquirrelMrSquirrel Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this a while ago, and its ok. but I've never warmed to Mark Rylance, not saying he's bad, just not for me - I just dont think he is that special, so I tend to avoid his work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSquirrel wrote: »
    I saw this a while ago, and its ok. but I've never warmed to Mark Rylance, not saying he's bad, just not for me - I just dont think he is that special, so I tend to avoid his work.

This has reminded me of another problem I had with the film - what was with his accent??? It didn't sound Russian, Donovan said at one point that he thought Abel was from "the north of England" which to me was at least heading in the right direction as he sounded kind of Scottish - but that was never expanded on.
  • Laurel1neLaurel1ne Posts: 15,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This has reminded me of another problem I had with the film - what was with his accent??? It didn't sound Russian, Donovan said at one point that he thought Abel was from "the north of England" which to me was at least heading in the right direction as he sounded kind of Scottish - but that was never expanded on.

The thing to remember about Hollywood films and British Accents is that the UK are the only ones who care. If you could hear some of the atrocities visited by Hollywood on the French Accent then UK accents would look remarkably accurate
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurel1ne wrote: »

The thing to remember about Hollywood films and British Accents is that the UK are the only ones who care. If you could hear some of the atrocities visited by Hollywood on the French Accent then UK accents would look remarkably accurate

It's a fair point. If an actor studies an accent and makes it so realistic that the people who live in that specific location will champion it as sounding genuine...they will be the only ones. The rest of the world will be none the wiser.

The film has to work in all territories, and accents have to be as generic as possible. Most people have a vague idea as to how they think people speak in various parts of the world...it often bears no relation to the accent itself but it's what they want to hear.

So bad accents in movies are often not the fault of the actor, more to do with the dictates of the filmmakers who have one eye on the global market.