Options

House Clearance Advice

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
I am in the horrible position of clearing a much lived in house as the owner is now in a residential home. I have been given a contact number for a house clearance guy but don't know how it works - amongst ordinary stuff (beds, tables etc.) there are some items of value. I don't want good stuff to go only to be left with the rubbish to get rid of. Actually, I don't even know if I get offered anything for the goods. Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally, i think, someone will come and offer you a couple of hundred quid for 'the lot' which they will then attempt to divide up and sell on.

I'd take out the good stuff first and try selling it on eBay or similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want to sell on eBay, plan a weekend when you'll be at home, then put up posters in your local area advertising a house clearance at the house. Make sure you state that it's cash only, & the goods must be taken away the same day. Have everything labelled with a price, & have a friend/family member positioned in each room so that things don't go walkies. A friend sorting out her grandmother's home made sure friends & family got the things with the most sentimental value first, then got an auction house to value some important pieces & did a house clearance for the rest. You'd be surprised how many people are starting off in a new home & are grateful to get things that have been looked after - my first lounge carpet, dining table & chairs came from one & lasted me almost 15 years. :)

When you've had the house clearance day, get the house clearance man in to clear the rest. I promise you, he won't offer you much more for taking a whole houseful rather than just taking the contents of a couple of rooms. You're therefore much better off getting the money in your pocket from the grateful buyers for things going to a new home & letting him clear whatever's left that hasn't sold & no-one wants. :)
  • Options
    donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Can I add to that to check the pockets of clothing and look inside books and boxes as many older people tend to stick money in those places.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've got anything left over after heeding all that advice, you could always join your local Freecycle network and give it away - see http://www.freecycle.org/ (haven't tried it myself yet but people tell me it's effective and useful, and I'm thinking of using it to offload a cooker that won't sell on eBay).
  • Options
    missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    www.gumtree.com is also good for selling stuff on.