Bad weather approaching

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    Anyone prepared for this?

The only thing I'm worried about is loosing power. Bought some candles today have a gas cooker too so can still cook and keep warm.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, came in to tell you that we lost power at 6:32pm, and on a battery and inverter....lit a load of candles, opened window to see what it was like there, and wind tore it from my hand, so leaving that window closed.

It's bloody ferocious out there! :p:p Had a look from other window and lights outside blacked out too....got hub to ring the leccy people to tell them, in case no one else did, and as he was standing with phone in hand lights came back on....at 6:59pm.

Thank god I've got a laptop, as it's less heavy on the inverter than a desktop comp would be.

If anyone is in the South East of England, don't attempt to go out, as it's vicious, worst I've seen since our Hurricane of '87
  • GoldengayerGoldengayer Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Was really windy/pissing rain here in Leicester. Calmed down a lot. Few big trees at the front of the flats that were really waving around. Any of them would do a fair bit of damage if they fell.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Just watching the news and they were talking to the GBP about this weather and some stupid woman said that this weather is better than snow!!! HTF did she work that out :confused:

Does snow push chimneys down? Push trees over? cause the horrendous sea storms ? NO!!! >:(>:(>:( I really cannot believe the logic of some people >:(

Rant over :blush:

Some people are fools. thats probably someone who hasnt been affected by it. id take snow over this anyday. its disruptive but at least makes things look festive and pretty
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am in Kent. Have already had a short power cut. Next door neighbour has tied his trampoline to a tree but think the tree might just take off with trampoline in tow!!! Lots of fence panels flying around and pots crashing. Very noisy and the wind blowing through the woods is seriously scary!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    My electricity just cut out for a split second. :(

I've had this happen sometimes when the wind's been strongish.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not read the thread, but has anyone else had lightening along with the wind recently? I'm west coast Scotland and have seen a few flashes. I'm sick of these storms, given up on the wreath on the front door.>:(
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    For those who think it's easing in the south, be prepared for round two as the second frontal wave is moving in.this has the potential for stronger winds across the SE of England than we have had so far. it will get stronger through the next few hours but ease off again in the early hours.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Was a bit blustery in Bristol today, but not what I'd count as a "storm". Trees are all still standing.
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Cornwall ,and the power went off at 11.30 this morning due to the power lines being brought down ,and it just came back on about 15mins ago >:( >:( and as i live in an all Electric property ,no gas to this part of the village ,i've not been able to cook,have hot drinks etc :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Supercell wrote: »
    For those who think it's easing in the south, be prepared for round two as the second frontal wave is moving in.this has the potential for stronger winds across the SE of England than we have had so far. it will get stronger through the next few hours but ease off again in the early hours.

Yeah, it eased up for a couple of hours, now it's back to horrendous again. I keep thinking about the bloody great tree not so far away, that could end up in my house. It's always worse at night, because you can't see a damn thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I'm on the south coast, we're starting to take a battering here. Ariel's down on the houses opposite a few trees are down and our power keeps flickering on and off.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the winds are getting worse in East London.
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in South East London it doesn't seem to be bad, can't hear any wind outside at the moment, though the rain was really coming down earlier, going to Hertfordshire tomorrow evening, so really hope that the trains are running, as they were all cancelled today, though my dear old dad has said he would pick me up from the tube.
  • yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wind and rain getting bad again in north London too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

yep, was a pain walking through Mile End park earlier!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen next door's back door to the garden and fence blow down.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The south west coast is still horrendous
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

Too true, one gust just now sounded like a high speed train going past. OH is on way home from work - really don't like him being out driving in this...:(
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    LiLmonkey wrote: »
    I'm on the south coast, we're starting to take a battering here. Ariel's down on the houses opposite a few trees are down and our power keeps flickering on and off.

That Little Mermaid gets everywhere...
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    Too true, one gust just now sounded like a high speed train going past. OH is on way home from work - really don't like him being out driving in this...:(

I know how you feel :( My daughter finishes her shift at midnight just as the strongest winds are forecast here on the south coast. Loads of trees down and roads flooded already tonight.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish my landlord wasn't such an asshole and had fixed my leaking roof.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Siri says winds are 31mph but he thinks it won't snow until Saturday when the forecast shows half a sun cloud!
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tree down in the field behind me...moved my car after that, as it was parked in the back car park, under a tree. Just in case.
    South of Oxford.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I know how you feel :( My daughter finishes her shift at midnight just as the strongest winds are forecast here on the south coast. Loads of trees down and roads flooded already tonight.

Me too :( My daughter is trying to get home from Dublin and is stuck in Birmingham trying to get one of the delayed trains.......oh I wish I could go and get her......but she's still a couple of hours away at best :(