BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    All bands start off as rebels, and ant-establishment, but as you get older......I mean Roger Daltrey doing American Express Adverts, Mick Jagger at Wimbledon

I remember feeling a bit of sick some into my mouth when I saw Bob Dylan advertising
    Chrysler cars. So sad.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    How come Lana did not sing "Blue Jeans"?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I found it very sad to see Nina Persson playing an early set on the Park stage in front of barely 300 people, but perhaps that's how she wanted it. I wonder how many of those watching knew who she was.

Forget the crowd, she was wonderful to watch and hear on TV whatever combination of musicians she is with. One of the great voices around today.
  • TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Roughly what time will Dolly Parton be on the pyramid?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I had a great time watching yesterday. Started with some Royal Blood, then watched Fat White Family. Later I watched Jack White, half an hour of Pixies, about 15 mins of John Grant (will see if his set is on iPlayer and watch it in full, very good) and then about an hour of Metallica and then the whole of Mogwai's set.

I thought RB were great, a little like White Stripes (sorry for the lazy comparrison but it's true) but they had more energetic drums and some Led Zep riffs. FWF were crazy and ragged just as I'd hoped after hearing their album, I think there are big things to come from them as long as they don't disintegrate.

JW's set is really good even though he was clearly drunk (and possibly on something else?). I liked how his old White Stripes material sounded with a full band but I think he's still missing the intimacy of his stuff with Meg and perhaps he's overcompensating for that with lots of band members?

Pixies were great and the new material sounds great live. JG was brilliant (for the little I saw) but I love his albums anyway so I'll definitely look for this again on iPlayer.

I thought Metallica were really good and what I expected. I don't really understand the haters out there and the supposed controversy about them headlining as if you don't like them, there's about 30 other stages and venues around Glastonbury to see something else. This is like having Sky etc and then complaining there's nothing on! It was a shame that on the BBC red button, they didn't show the begining video/intro for the set (the BBC just panned the camera to show the top of the Pyramid Stage for about 10 minutes while this was going on but you could still hear the audio) but from what I heard and what the news reported today, I can understand them not wanting to show political messages about anti fox hunting etc, especially after them not showing M.I.A. and her political T-shirts (at least on the main channels).

Also, I think Metallica are quite safe in terms of metal music, despite all the bravado, grunting, heavy riffs etc, they're very obviously just about entertainment and making money. I know there was a time when this might have been different but I think these days they're pretty harmless. They remind me of Jay-Z in this respect, he also may appear to some people as scary or anti-establishment etc but he's more of a businessman nowadays and more interested in putting on a good show than anything else. And finally on Metallica, it was a good move having their own fans on stage with them. If the Glastonbury crowd don't like you, sod it and just play to your own fans lol.

Finally I have to say I loved Mogwai's set. I will point out I am biassed because I am a big fan of theirs anyway but their set was brilliant. It just goes to show you don't have to appease people's normal cinceptions of music by having singing, you can create amazing guitar music that is moving and exciting without the need to fill bits in with generic or meaningless lyrics. They created an amazing atmosphere and yes their music is a bit beardy, approaching proggy sometimes but when you do it as well as they do, I think you can get away with it.

Today I'm looking forward to Connan Mockasin, The Horrors, St. Vincent and James Blake. I might try and fit in some Brian Jonestown Massacre, Yoko Ono and Disclosure. I'm not too fussed about Kasabian although I do like their music.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a massive Metallica fan but like some of their stuff, what was their last song?, seemed a bit of a weak song to end on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Metallica absolutely owned Glastonbury before they'd even played a note with there special T-shirts and the intro VT taking the piss out of James bear hunting, which wasn't shown by the beeb but you can watch here http://youtu.be/L3BSjV0IkWU . Opening with creeping death was a risk but the crowd got straight into it, they really know how to work a crowd after 30 yrs of headlining all over the world. Didn't think anyone could top Springsteen from a few year's back but Metallica ran him close for best headline act IMO. Now eavis needs to get AC/DC .
    BTW last song was Seek and Destroy
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    How come Lana did not sing "Blue Jeans"?

She did. Perhaps the footage you saw didn't show it? It was rather lackluster tbh.. her set didn't get very good reviews at all.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Still enjoyed Blondie more. Dolly Parton will be great tomorrow too. How was Jack White's set anyone?

Yeah Blondie was great. There were moments during Atomic where my hairs stood on end because she sounded just like she did back in the day. Not for the entire performance but there were moments when she did. Still got it.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TR252 wrote: »

12pm I think or roundabout then.

Will be interesting to see if she sings completely live as her concerts are usually 90% mimed.
    barbeler wrote: »
    Oh my god - Mogwai. I always thought they were more or less a wibbly wobbly ambient band with loud bits, then Robert Smith declared them to be the best band in the world, so I thought I'd better take the trouble to listen.

Each track is like the sound of an alien spacecraft taking off, yet different every time. Absolutely mind-blowing and by far the best band I've seen so far.

Make an effort to go see them live the next time they're touring near you. Well worth it!
  • Simon_Morris2Simon_Morris2 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    TR252 wrote: »

Dolly is on pyramid stage from
    16.20-17.30
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolly is on pyramid stage from
    16.20-17.30

That's much later than I thought! Time for a bath then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Not a massive Metallica fan but like some of their stuff, what was their last song?, seemed a bit of a weak song to end on.

Seek and Destroy, a classic from their debut album that has been their closing song for years, a classic rock singalong
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Findlay, King Charles and Port Isla today. Findlay in particular; she was one of my tips for 2014. Not much joy thus far so she may have to go on my Tips for 2015 list, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    haha yeah quite amusing really considering their history.

Not a fan of their music (other than nothing else matters) but to be fair they seemed to put on a good show and genuinely seemed glad and thankful to be there.

Not really - Metallica have encouraged people to record at their shows from day one, the issue was down to a song that they hadn't even finished mixing that appeared on Napster, they were understandably hacked off that someone had stolen unreleased music from them - granted they maybe went about it in a heavy handed way but anyone would have been annoyed to have something that they had worked hard to create to be stolen
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I don't listen to metal music but Metallica were incredible last night - I thought they got their set spot on and the crowd were loving it. After all the fuss I knew deep down they'd smash it and was glad to be proved right!!!

This is what festivals should be about IMO, true music lovers enjoying a huge variety of different musical styles and getting into things they might not normally listen to.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this garbage on BBC2 at the moment?

It's this type of pretentiousness that alienates the general public.
    Forum Member
    Thank god it's only 20 mins long
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god it's only 20 mins long

What, it's still on??:o

It truly is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen. What is it meant to represent, cause to me it seems to consist of the main male dancer thrashing around having a fit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he shagging her now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The look of abject disillusionment amongst the crowd, shows you the only reason they're still watching is because they don't want to give up their spot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason they're cheering is because it's over....
    Forum Member
    Well I haven't a clue what that was about thank god it's over
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked that National Ballet performance, looks like I'm in a minority though.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's annoying is the two presenters on BBC 2 each trying to out emote each other saying how wonderful each clip was they were showing.