Options

How come all the men at Wimbledon wear their shirts hanging out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sandals with socks is plain wrong.

It is but socks make sandals far more comfortable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sandals with socks is plain wrong.
    It seems that every man has to wear an untucked shirt now! They wouldn't allow this in many other sports such as golf, cricket and table tennis.

Their shirts are untucked to aid movement and ventilation. The other sports you mention are less physicallly demanding so can be played tucked in.

Perhaps you could try playing 5sets of tennis (assuming your male) with your shorts tucked in eh?
  • Options
    randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    clarxpie wrote: »
    Their shirts are untucked to aid movement and ventilation. The other sports you mention are less physicallly demanding so can be played tucked in.

Perhaps you could try playing 5sets of tennis (assuming your male) with your shorts tucked in eh?

I'm not convinced that cricket and table tennis are less demanding. In table tennis you don't run the longer distances but at the top level it's a very fast game and you definitely need to be fit. In cricket you could be batting or fielding for possibly 6/7 hours a day sometimes in boiling hot conditions.

I think these sports have managed to keep standards high whilst tennis hasn't.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they'd play better without a shirt. I'm serious. I've seen so many pictures of tennis players, including Andy Murray, in training on the courts minus their shirts banging the ball in shorts and trainers only. It might give that extra millisecond of edge and aerodynamics. It might also attract a lot more female spectators, and a few guys too.
    Clearly the women tennis players would only benefit with the status quo, being firmly held in place up top. :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member

Don't know why you quoted me on this one.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Maybe they'd play better without a shirt. I'm serious. I've seen so many pictures of tennis players, including Andy Murray, in training on the courts minus their shirts banging the ball in shorts and trainers only. It might give that extra millisecond of edge and aerodynamics. It might also attract a lot more female spectators, and a few guys too.
    Clearly the women tennis players would only benefit with the status quo, being firmly held in place up top. :D

If aerodynamics are an issue some of the women could do with a haircut (a few men too). How much better could Serena be without that mop on her head?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced that cricket and table tennis are less demanding. In table tennis you don't run the longer distances but at the top level it's a very fast game and you definitely need to be fit. In cricket you could be batting or fielding for possibly 6/7 hours a day sometimes in boiling hot conditions.

I think these sports have managed to keep standards high whilst tennis hasn't.

In table tennis, an untucked shirt could get in the way. Cricket is just plain stuffy.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    If aerodynamics are an issue some of the women could do with a haircut (a few men too). How much better could Serena be without that mop on her head?

Good point, well made!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    It is interesting to read the rules about spectators. I had never thought about this but they do seem like a different breed to say a one-day cricket crowd.

Does anybody have the dress code for the players?

I know that clothing has to be predominantly white at Wimbledon. There obviously isn't a rule about tucking in the shirt unless they are all flouting the laws.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all goes in cycles - I see people have been commenting about Ronaldo tucking his shirt in during the football. Everybody does one thing then somebody does something different and that starts a new trend. Pete Sampras started wearing baggy shorts, now everybody wears baggies. One day a player will wear tight shorts to be different and that will catch on again!
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    It all goes in cycles - I see people have been commenting about Ronaldo tucking his shirt in during the football. Everybody does one thing then somebody does something different and that starts a new trend. Pete Sampras started wearing baggy shorts, now everybody wears baggies. One day a player will wear tight shorts to be different and that will catch on again!

Spot on, Mrs Mills.

Remember the days when no-one towelled down after each point (except in the humidity of places like Flushing Meadow on an August evening)?

Greg Rusedski did it in a match at some point in the late 1990's and low and behold, after a few months, everyone was doing it.

The game always has been and probably always will be very faddish as far as many aspects of it are concerned.

The shorts may have been tight back in the day but I think the phrase 'tailored' can be applied - I certainly played in those things and never felt restricted.

From the early 1980's, the shorts also started being made of more stretchy materials.

I think it's extremely difficult to compare the physical demands of different sports. I've played decent club football, cricket and tennis and been exhausted in all of them - so unfit!!!;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Spot on, Mrs Mills.

Remember the days when no-one towelled down after each point (except in the humidity of places like Flushing Meadow on an August evening)?

Greg Rusedski did it in a match at some point in the late 1990's and low and behold, after a few months, everyone was doing it.

The game always has been and probably always will be very faddish as far as many aspects of it are concerned.

The shorts may have been tight back in the day but I think the phrase 'tailored' can be applied - I certainly played in those things and never felt restricted.

From the early 1980's, the shorts also started being made of more stretchy materials.

I think it's extremely difficult to compare the physical demands of different sports. I've played decent club football, cricket and tennis and been exhausted in all of them - so unfit!!!;-).

Also touching hands in the doubles. They all do it now even if they have lost the point!
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is but socks make sandals far more comfortable.

Indeed the buckles against bare feet can make the feet feel very sore.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

I don't think it has anything to do with aerodynamics. I think they take their shirts off sometimes in practice to their coaches/trainers can get a good look at their movement and how the muscles are working to make sure they are doing it right. They might also be hoping to avoid farmer's tan.

It strikes me as entirely arbitrary that anyone would think that tucking a t-shirt in to play a sport like tennis represents a higher standard of dress than leaving it untucked. The modern shirts are not designed to be tucked in and would create bunching and look stupid.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that every man has to wear an untucked shirt now! They wouldn't allow this in many other sports such as golf, cricket and table tennis.

More comfortable out than in I should think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with aerodynamics. I think they take their shirts off sometimes in practice to their coaches/trainers can get a good look at their movement and how the muscles are working to make sure they are doing it right. They might also be hoping to avoid farmer's tan.

It strikes me as entirely arbitrary that anyone would think that tucking a t-shirt in to play a sport like tennis represents a higher standard of dress than leaving it untucked. The modern shirts are not designed to be tucked in and would create bunching and look stupid.

The general public should not go walking around the streets completely bare for top half of body let alone watching the tennis at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More comfortable out than in I should think.
    It's more a question of whether it's a casual shirt or a formal shirt.

Wearing a formal shirt untucked does not seem right. And a formal shirt only really meant to go with other formal wear rather than casual wear.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Also touching hands in the doubles. They all do it now even if they have lost the point!

In cricket, batsmen touch gloves. They called it 'Glove Love' in the IPL commentary the other day!

I can't watch doubles anymore as they take endless amounts of time with their conferences.

Trust me, there just isn't that much to discuss. I find it irritating in the extreme.

When I travelled to all 4 Grand Slams in 1992/3 when I was between jobs, no-one talked between points except for Gigi Fernandez and Natalia Zvereva who did it EVERY point.

I regard a lot of it as attention seeking, 'look at us - we've got important stuff to discuss' nonsense, like people making a fuss of rushing off to take an 'important' call.

While at my 1990's / 2000's Tennis Fantasy Camp one year, one of the greatest doubles players ever, Tony Roche, was my team captain. During one match where I was having difficulty winning my serve, he coached me through one game from behind the back court fence. All he did as I walked back to serve was to say one word, 'left', 'right' or 'body' indicating where he wanted me to serve.

I won the game. But regardless, it was a fascinating insight (what the Camp was all about) into how the top people do it.

In many doubles matches over the years at that Camp, I felt the need to communicate with my partner and bolster flagging motivation or energy. But after a while, you realise that there are only so many things you can say (Come on, hard luck, next point, keep going etc). After a few games, I found myself losing any meaning in how I communicated these encouragements and wish I'd never started!

Along with whether the net player will cross or not, the direction of the serve (for the benefit of your partner at the net) is the only thing that needs to be decided before you start the point.

Maybe all these tour players are poor / slow decision makers and need a meeting beforehand?

I find myself shouting at the screen 'GET ON WITH IT'!:D
  • Options
    Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    In cricket, batsmen touch gloves. They called it 'Glove Love' in the IPL commentary the other day!

I can't watch doubles anymore as they take endless amounts of time with their conferences.

Trust me, there just isn't that much to discuss. I find it irritating in the extreme.

When I travelled to all 4 Grand Slams in 1992/3 when I was between jobs, no-one talked between points except for Gigi Fernandez and Natalia Zvereva who did it EVERY point.

I regard a lot of it as attention seeking, 'look at us - we've got important stuff to discuss' nonsense, like people making a fuss of rushing off to take an 'important' call.

While at my 1990's / 2000's Tennis Fantasy Camp one year, one of the greatest doubles players ever, Tony Roche, was my team captain. During one match where I was having difficulty winning my serve, he coached me through one game from behind the back court fence. All he did as I walked back to serve was to say one word, 'left', 'right' or 'body' indicating where he wanted me to serve.

I won the game. But regardless, it was a fascinating insight (what the Camp was all about) into how the top people do it.

In many doubles matches over the years at that Camp, I felt the need to communicate with my partner and bolster flagging motivation or energy. But after a while, you realise that there are only so many things you can say (Come on, hard luck, next point, keep going etc). After a few games, I found myself losing any meaning in how I communicated these encouragements and wish I'd never started!

Along with whether the net player will cross or not, the direction of the serve (for the benefit of your partner at the net) is the only thing that needs to be decided before you start the point.

Maybe all these tour players are poor / slow decision makers and need a meeting beforehand?

I find myself shouting at the screen 'GET ON WITH IT'!:D
    There are lots of sports these days where the competitors seem to forget it is a form of entertainment and waste so much time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is great that Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is bucking the trend in the current tournament. It has worked - he is through to the final!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I am a member of the All Tennis Club and way up my owns self