Why are foreigners so loud when they talk?

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Move over Lee Evans, here's a real comedian!

Yawn....

That was funny tbh
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brits generally are not a loud people,. Americans are very loud. The French, Dutch, Danish and Swedes are quiet too.

Of course there are loud Brits, but that's the chav element, not your general decent Brit! ;)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    The Brits generally are not a loud people,. Americans are very loud. The French, Dutch, Danish and Swedes are quiet too.

Of course there are loud Brits, but that's the chav element, not your general decent Brit! ;)

Come on, haven't you ever heard posh people in public places talking at what they seem to think is normal conversational level? You need ear defenders.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take great offense that you think there are other people that are loud except Americans. That is our moniker and I'll be damned if we are going to give it up to some other foreigners. You British are just so refined and respectful. You really are the best people on earth. Just ask a British person, they will tell you.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    I take great offense that you think there are other people that are loud except Americans. That is our moniker and I'll be damned if we are going to give it up to some other foreigners. You British are just so refined and respectful. You really are the best people on earth. Just ask a British person, they will tell you.

Do you want fries with that?
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was funny tbh

What was?
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spend a lot of time in Spain and have noticed that they tend to talk at rather a loud volume!

You're right.

Years ago, I was waiting at the bus stop in Dublin city centre one day and I heard loud voices across the road from where I was standing. The road was quite wide so I remember being surprised at these Spanish students yakking rather loud in my hearing, leading one equally astonished woman saying to me :"Jasyus, don't they have big gabby gobs on them!". :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I think some people need to invest in a dictionary - I don't see anything racist in the OP at all. It's true some nationalities tend to be louder than us - we British are way down the volume scale, so we notice it more I suppose.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Come on, haven't you ever heard posh people in public places talking at what they seem to think is normal conversational level? You need ear defenders.

I find the posh ones usually talk loud because they want everyone to know how great it is they are going away in the Aston Martin for the weekend to the spa. A bit like the loud teenagers you hear boasting on the bus about how drunk they were on the weekend, they are loud because they want people to hear how great they think they are.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are only another 195 countries in the world (depending on how you define them) so can people in the UK be the only ones who talk at a normal level?

I think the Nobel Prize will be awarded to the person who finds the answer.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a bloke in my office from St Albans and is British who's so ruddy loud, especially when he's on the phone. There are also a large number of non-Brits (German, Irish, Spanish, Portuguese, Welsh, Indian, Australian) and they all speak in a normal tone.

Sorry to say OP, this blows your theory completely out of the water.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I think some people need to invest in a dictionary - I don't see anything racist in the OP at all. It's true some nationalities tend to be louder than us - we British are way down the volume scale, so we notice it more I suppose.
    Yes but come on that is not what the OP has said. Foreigners? What all that exists is British and foreigners?
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    The Cantonese language is incredibly harsh and it sounds like we are all shouting at each other when it isn't the case!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    You probably just notice them more because they are foreign they have immediately stood out to you and you've taken an interest in what they are doing.

I'd go with this. You're hearing different languages or accents so your brain might just be 'zooming in' on language sounds that aren't familiar to you because the brain automatically tries to make sense of something it doesn't automatically recognise. Therefore, the vocal sounds might seem amplified to you.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    You probably just notice them more because they are foreign they have immediately stood out to you and you've taken an interest in what they are doing.

Pretty much this. The new language stands out and your brain seeks it out automatically because it is foreign to you.
    Forum Member
    Yes but come on that is not what the OP has said. Foreigners? What all that exists is British and foreigners?
    Well, yes, seeing as you've mentioned it. What is there that doesn't fall into either of those?
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Pretty much this. The new language stands out and your brain seeks it out automatically because it is foreign to you.

Not really. You can live in a multicultural, polyglottal area for decades and still be aware that some nationalities are louder than others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes, seeing as you've mentioned it. What is there that doesn't fall into either of those?

Well Britain isn't the only country that can possibly have "quiet" speakers, there are many countries in the world and to say that we're unique in that respect is rather strange. Perhaps the original poster should have been more specific about what nationalities they thought were louder.
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Well Britain isn't the only country that can possibly have "quiet" speakers, there are many countries in the world and to say that we're unique in that respect is rather strange. Perhaps the original poster should have been more specific about what nationalities they thought were louder.
    I've just had a look (admittedly a quick look) through the thread and I can't see where anyone has said we're unique. And the OP did say they, referring to Spanish, Asians, and Nigerians I think it was. And as for myself, I said we're "way down the volume scale" - I didn't say "at the bottom".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a look (admittedly a quick look) through the thread and I can't see where anyone has said we're unique. And the OP did say they, referring to Spanish, Asians, and Nigerians I think it was. And as for myself, I said we're "way down the volume scale" - I didn't say "at the bottom".

What is this study, the "Rowdy scale of global loudness"?

I think you have found your niche.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

I agree. The usual pathetic responses, nothing new.
  • BedrockGBedrockG Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    ....or at least, that's what I found during my recent visit to Russia. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I agree. The usual pathetic responses, nothing new.

I don't think they are pathetic, I don't think that other nationalities are louder than us.

Not in my experience of travelling anyway. There are some loud British people, there are some quiet British people, just like people from the rest of the world.
  • rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    The English shout when they speak, I'm not the only person to notice this too, there's loads of Polish here where I live they don't shout when they speak, but it's always people with an English accent and it's like 100db above everything else,;-)
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Move over Lee Evans, here's a real comedian!

Yawn....

I think that Rupert Pupkin has a Thai bride or something, so he's a bit sensitive around the whole issue of race.