Options

Poached eggs

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
I love poached eggs and, for my taste, had developed a technique that worked every time -

Boil water in shallow pan, break in egg, turn heat off and leave for three minutes. The tricky bit was chasing it around with a slotted spoon :p

Then my son said that the clingfilm method was great (especially the minimal clearing up required), and so I gave it a bash. Wow, what a revelation - especially for those who don't like the texture of watery egg.

I lined a tiny bowl with the clingfilm, broke in a duck egg and twisted the top, then it went into a boiling pan of water (where it kind of floated around) for just over four minutes. The great thing about this method is that you can lift it out and give it a squeeze to check firmness. It was a lovely compact shape and when cut in half it oozed a perfect yolk, but the texture was completely different.

Thought I would share :o

Comments

• Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent tip! I'm having poached eggs tonight so will certainly try that! No washing the pan either so even better!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yay - my son got the idea from Masterchef, although I bet their ones didn't have creases in the top :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    But they ain't poached eggs - they're boiled eggs except you've replaced the shell with clingfilm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    SRD wrote: »
    But they ain't poached eggs - they're boiled eggs except you've replaced the shell with clingfilm.

I was gonna say summat similar. :)
    Never get creases with the shell either :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha ha!!!!! Duped by Masterchef :o:D:D:D

I guess calling it a poached egg sounds better than a shell-less boiled egg on whatever chintzy salad they plonk it on.

I did give my tip for a REAL poached egg though
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    missmaisie wrote: »
    Ha ha!!!!! Duped by Masterchef :o:D:D:D

I guess calling it a poached egg sounds better than a shell-less boiled egg on whatever chintzy salad they plonk it on.

I did give my tip for a REAL poached egg though
    Call 'em coddled eggs!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There is a method where you put the full egg in boiling water for 15-30 secs then remove it from the water, then crack it back into the water to poach.

It apparently firms the white to give you a good consistency.

I've never tried it as i'm not a fan of poached eggs, or boiled eggs and really not that crazy about fried eggs :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Coddled eggs are baked or steamed in a container well lined with butter (like the egg poachers my grandmother had with 4 individual cups or the egg cup like things with lids that were sold by sites like 'Past Times').
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    SRD wrote: »
    Coddled eggs are baked or steamed in a container well lined with butter (like the egg poachers my grandmother had with 4 individual cups or the egg cup like things with lids that were sold by sites like 'Past Times').
    I know, the point being that they are kind of like shell-less boiled eggs, which is how the OP described these 'cling film' eggs in her subsequent post.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There is a method where you put the full egg in boiling water for 15-30 secs then remove it from the water, then crack it back into the water to poach.

It apparently firms the white to give you a good consistency.

I've never tried it as i'm not a fan of poached eggs, or boiled eggs and really not that crazy about fried eggs :D

Just beat me to it! The Hairy Bikers did that in one of their shows the other week and it came out a treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So couldn't you do the same with the clingfilm method so you don't have the task of removing a hard shell???

Or were the hairy bikers eggs in clingfilm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I chickened out of the clingfilm method. Sorry!:o Did them as I always do, same as the OP's method BTW. As usual they came out perfect so I see no reason to change.
    I struggle to see how you have to "chase them around the pan" though, it is easy to just lift them out with a slotted spoon.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I got one of the those egg poachers with the four cups in it, my cousin gave it to me years ago, I have moved over 20 times in my live but my egg poacher always goes with me :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I would want a "poached" egg that is in fact a boiled egg without it's shell. I use the Delia method. Bring a pan of salted water to a rolling boil, add a dash of vinegar, create a vortex with a spoon and crack a very fresh egg into this.
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    EmmaActual wrote: »
    I got one of the those egg poachers with the four cups in it, my cousin gave it to me years ago, I have moved over 20 times in my live but my egg poacher always goes with me :D

Me too, mine is a Tefal non-stick and must be 40 years old! I could never master the egg in the pan of boiling water like my mum used to - I always ended up with just a yolk!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    missmaisie wrote: »
    Or were the hairy bikers eggs in clingfilm?
    They put a duck egg (whole & uncracked) into boiling water for 15-30 seconds then removed it from the water.

This process firms up the white.

They then cracked the egg into a bowl and then gently poured the egg into the water to poach.

The idea being that because the white is slightly firmer than normal it does not spead out and wraps neatly around the yolk to produce the perfect poached egg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a great idea so I shall try it, thank you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LQS wrote: »
    I don't think I would want a "poached" egg that is in fact a boiled egg without it's shell. I use the Delia method. Bring a pan of salted water to a rolling boil, add a dash of vinegar, create a vortex with a spoon and crack a very fresh egg into this.

Hmm... I'm confused!
    I've got a Delia book, and in that, she says the best way to poach an egg is to bring cold water up to almost boiling (She says when you can see lots of little bubbles on the bottom of the pan), then crack the egg into the water, leave it for a minute, then take it off the heat and leave for ten minutes.
    I tried that and it came out lovely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kezby_2k wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm confused!
    I've got a Delia book, and in that, she says the best way to poach an egg is to bring cold water up to almost boiling (She says when you can see lots of little bubbles on the bottom of the pan), then crack the egg into the water, leave it for a minute, then take it off the heat and leave for ten minutes.
    I tried that and it came out lovely!
    I doubt there is a definitive method.
    Shallow pan or deep pan??? Vinegar in the water??? swirling vortex???

Do what you like best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I doubt there is a definitive method.
    Shallow pan or deep pan??? Vinegar in the water??? swirling vortex???

Do what you like best.

I know that, I was just saying that I was confused because the poster that I quoted said they had used Delia's method, whereas I have a Delia book that gives a different method, which she says is apparently the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmortex vortex! I had them again tonight. Boiling water into a pan, break fresh egg into small bowl, drop gently into pan, turn heat off, leave for 3-4 minutes, job done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan of the poach pods aswell, poached egs are probably my 2nd fav food to potatoes, never could master any way of cooking them though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There really is no secret, like LQS said, if the eggs are very fresh they are the easiest thing in the world to cook.
  • Options
    Sir Jeremy IIISir Jeremy III Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    To do the perfect poached egg the water must be deep with a splash of vinegar which binds the eggs together. They only take a couple of mins and then put them onto kitchen role to get rid of any excess water.