Options

Comfort Reading

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
I had a stinking cold last week and felt really sorry for myself and just wanted to snuggle up with a book - what did I end up reading ....

Jilly Cooper, Octavia, and then Prudence. Felt like a warm, safe blanket of happiness (from my teens? ) :o

So, confession time - what's your comfort reading???

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Any adrian mole, or Bill Bryson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, I LOVE my comfort reads! :D

Mine would be:

- 'The Crow Road' or 'Espedair Street', both by Iain Banks

- anything by Marian Keyes

- 'Bridget Jones's Diary / Edge of Reason'

- anything by Irvine Welsh (I know it doesn't seem like likely comfort reading, and some of the subject matter can be harrowing, but a lot of it is really funny too, and it does it for me :D)

- there's one travel book I absolutely adore, called 'Serpent in Paradise' by Dea Birkett. It's the true story of her extended stay on Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific in the early 1990s, and is utterly fascinating. Quite scary in places, but so fascinating it takes you away from whatever may be troubling you.

That's all I can think of just now, but I know there's more. :D
  • Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    casey66 wrote: »
    Any adrian mole, or Bill Bryson.

Snap :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually an Agatha Christie or a Stephen King. Read them all so many times! :)
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read something from the No 1 Ladies Detective series when I'm feeling blue. The location takes me away from it all, the characters remind me there are decent people out there (even if they are a little flawed sometimes), and it's nice to read something where, even though they've been battered a bit in life, the good guys win most of the time, and all in a really charming way. It's like a nice, hot cup of tea :D
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgette Heyer, Agatha Christie or one of the Narnia books (usually The Horse and His Boy). I think because they all, each in their own way, create fictional worlds where the good triumph, baddies get what's coming to them and they're ultimately safe.
  • Options
    angel103angel103 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Mary Higgins Clark or Erica Spindler. They're so easy to read when you just want a simple book.
  • Options
    mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agatha Christie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comfort reading can be anything from Virginia Andrews or Danielle Steel, to going back to childhood and re-reading Alice in Wonderland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Persuasion or anything by terry Pratchett
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every couple of years or so I return to the Belgariad and Malloreon series of books by David Eddings. Sad to see David Eddings died last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby - it's about suicide but it makes me have different perspective about how I'm feeling.

Pride and Prejudice is good to read when men annoy me too!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually Enid Blyton or Jacqueline Wilson for me because I read nothing else as a kid.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    When feeling down, I pick up a Mills and Boon. Sexy men, spirited women, glamorous locations and a happy ending - what more could you want?
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything sci fi or fantasy fiction orientated, Harry Potter or Lord of The Rings never fails to capture me instantly regardless of how often I've read them before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rivals - Jilly Cooper, Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett, Harry Potter 1-7