my friend was banned from a US forum for being mixed race.

silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
Forum Member
Dont really know how to approach this with people on here, but something awful happened the other day. My old friend from school is a regular poster on an American website Comic Book Resources, in particular the super hero Wonder Woman forum that shes been on for several months. Ive logged on there myself a few times and being amused by the fun things going on....as well as the slightly bitchy and snide things other posters say. Anyhow, heres the terrible bit. The WW forum often gets a little, shall we say, heated and insults are traded back and forth [it is the internet, after all. We all know what its like.]. Two weeks ago, Judy got into a spat with an author who posts there. She said the wrong thing about his book and next thing she gets an offensive message in her e-mail from him. Okay, whatever. Then over the following week , whenever she posts something on the board she gets vicious comments back at her, in particular headed by the board moderator Aegisbearer. He tends to lead the attacks against people on there, often making fun of their usernames, their looks....and lately their gender and ,shockingly their colour. Last thursday it all came to a head. Ina reply to someone calling themselves "Zsa Zsa" he replied back "aernt you dead yet" and "thought you were on a life -support machine". Judy posted back that he shouldnt say such offensive things...and thats when it started. He deleted all her posts and sent a private message back saying he didnt want black people or stroppy women who should be in the kitchen on his board! She was shocked and tried to contact the supermods in charge of all the forums. Next thing she finds shes been BANNED from her favourite thread! She contacts the mods again for an explanantion and they contact her back saying they AGREE with Aegisbearers blatantly offensive comments about my friend [shes mixed-race, not black] but that his decision stands, shes not allowed back. This is grossly unfair!! My friend is the sweetest girl ever and I cant believe its even possible in this day and age that someone could have these views, never mind ban someone for being of a different colour. Surely this cant be right? The people in charge of the forums there appear to be a law unto themselves. She is distraught; Ive spent a whole weekend consoling her. What gets my goat is that on the thread there are male posters who are black and they are allowed to participate...it seems Aegis has his "favourites" who he allows. I really cant believe how this has happened and wish I could do something but its an American site and we live here in England so what can you do? Ive decided to make a stand [such as it is] on behalf of her and Im calling for a BOYCOTT of the Wonder Woman forum on Comic Book Resources until this awful matter is resolved. I think it s absolutely disgusting in this day and age how something like this can go on....Ive seen the messages myself and think theyr appalling. Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone heard of something like this happening before on other forums, its quite extraordinary how prejudiced some people can be.

Comments

• ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but that is really difficult to read, and I kind of lost the will after a couple of lines. It would be a lot easier to read if it was broken up into paragraphs. Sorry.
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    america is still very racist, you should hear some of the things they say against barack obama :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that is really difficult to read, and I kind of lost the will after a couple of lines. It would be a lot easier to read if it was broken up into paragraphs. Sorry.

I agree. Also I am not sure what advice you want?
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont really know how to approach this with people on here, but something awful happened the other day. My old friend from school is a regular poster on an American website Comic Book Resources, in particular the super hero Wonder Woman forum that shes been on for several months.

Ive logged on there myself a few times and being amused by the fun things going on....as well as the slightly bitchy and snide things other posters say. Anyhow, heres the terrible bit. The WW forum often gets a little, shall we say, heated and insults are traded back and forth [it is the internet, after all. We all know what its like.]. Two weeks ago, Judy got into a spat with an author who posts there. She said the wrong thing about his book and next thing she gets an offensive message in her e-mail from him. Okay, whatever.

Then over the following week , whenever she posts something on the board she gets vicious comments back at her, in particular headed by the board moderator Aegisbearer. He tends to lead the attacks against people on there, often making fun of their usernames, their looks....and lately their gender and ,shockingly their colour. Last thursday it all came to a head. Ina reply to someone calling themselves "Zsa Zsa" he replied back "aernt you dead yet" and "thought you were on a life -support machine". Judy posted back that he shouldnt say such offensive things...and thats when it started.

He deleted all her posts and sent a private message back saying he didnt want black people or stroppy women who should be in the kitchen on his board! She was shocked and tried to contact the supermods in charge of all the forums. Next thing she finds shes been BANNED from her favourite thread! She contacts the mods again for an explanantion and they contact her back saying they AGREE with Aegisbearers blatantly offensive comments about my friend [shes mixed-race, not black] but that his decision stands, shes not allowed back. This is grossly unfair!!

My friend is the sweetest girl ever and I cant believe its even possible in this day and age that someone could have these views, never mind ban someone for being of a different colour. Surely this cant be right? The people in charge of the forums there appear to be a law unto themselves. She is distraught; Ive spent a whole weekend consoling her. What gets my goat is that on the thread there are male posters who are black and they are allowed to participate...it seems Aegis has his "favourites" who he allows. I really cant believe how this has happened and wish I could do something but its an American site and we live here in England so what can you do?

Ive decided to make a stand [such as it is] on behalf of her and Im calling for a BOYCOTT of the Wonder Woman forum on Comic Book Resources until this awful matter is resolved. I think it s absolutely disgusting in this day and age how something like this can go on....Ive seen the messages myself and think theyr appalling. Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone heard of something like this happening before on other forums, its quite extraordinary how prejudiced some people can be.

:):):):)
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would your friend want to post on a site where people indulge and tolerate such nonsense...? Think she'd be better off telling them where to go and finding somewhere like DS :D
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silver mistress: what's her username there?
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    invisipost
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's silly to get so worked up about an online forum like that. Just tell your friend to move on. There are plenty of other comic book forums on the net.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    how do they know that she is mixed race

or have I missed the explanation, because it was hard to read
  • Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tl;dr
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your own comment about your friend being mixed-race and not black is curious to me, as all my black friends consider themselves black no matter if their parentage is mixed to some degree.

But back on topic...I dont think there is anything you can do - aside from your boycott - as forums are private places and the owners can invite or kick out whomever they like.

It's a terrible thing to face prejudice or racism, but without being in denial of who she is, perhaps this will teach your friend to use discretionary caution when debating on forums. As a comic fansite, I am not sure why the subject of race would ever come up but I hope I she finds a similar one with a friendlier membership in future.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to believe you, I really did.

But...................
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My post isnt showing, but I just wanted to add that it seems to me your friend wasnt banned because she was black specifically, but because she dared to question the actions of a moderator publically. She humiliated him and so he has done his damndest to do the same in return.

It's a shame your friend has been so upset by this stranger on a board, she is letting him win, boycott or no. Tell her he probably acts out his bitterness due to having a very small dick. Hopefully that will cheer her up.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But...................

Well the forum and the user she is talking about do exist. But if the story is the full version of events we'll never know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But...................

I know... when someone with less than 50 posts creates a thread with a somewhat odd story then its right to be a bit skeptical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I know... when someone with less than 50 posts creates a thread with a somewhat odd story then its right to be a bit skeptical.

Especially when you read their posting history!
  • silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    she mentioned she ws mixed race as part of a wider discussion on a topic about black super heroes [sounds a bit silly, dosent it]. Apologies for the block post; I dont know how to do paragraphs! Her username was Tori Pagac if that helps. Sorry , I only just got back from seeing her and Im still angry at her unfair treatment. Maybe this might never have happened but they have a general discussion thread and people discuss sex, gender and race topics there. I didnt know Americans could be so prejudiced...its so blatant! All I can offer by way of help is to call for a boycott of the forum [sigh].
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Couldn't agree more HF.

I just hope Judy isn't from Liverpool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ahh yeah, the bit where he/she indlulges in a little scouse insulting is quite ironic with this new post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she mentioned she ws mixed race as part of a wider discussion on a topic about black super heroes [sounds a bit silly, dosent it]. Apologies for the block post; I dont know how to do paragraphs! Her username was Tori Pagac if that helps. Sorry , I only just got back from seeing her and Im still angry at her unfair treatment. Maybe this might never have happened but they have a general discussion thread and people discuss sex, gender and race topics there. I didnt know Americans could be so prejudiced...its so blatant! All I can offer by way of help is to call for a boycott of the forum [sigh].

Just what!
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I shall join your BOYCOTT, silver mistress.

I swear that I shall not post in the Wonder Woman forum on Comic Book Resources until this awful matter is resolved.

And probably for much longer than that.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just what!

Scary isn't it?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I shall join your BOYCOTT, silver mistress.

I swear that I shall not post in the Wonder Woman forum on Comic Book Resources until this awful matter is resolved.

And probably for much longer than that.

I LOL'd:o:D
  • silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Irish Guy, hobbit feet and stressmonkey; my views on Liverpool are open and well known. Whatever your opinion on them Ive never attempted to ban anyone from expressing their opinions. I guess what goes around can indeed come around but my friend [shes from Leeds, btw] has done nothing wrong. By your replies do I take it you agree with her being banned just for being a woman and [gasp] mixed-race? You can think what you like about me but Im here supporting her. Do you approve of whats happened to her? Calling for a boycott is a bit superfluous really but something has to be said, dont you think. Thanks to all those who have expressed support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish Guy, hobbit feet and stressmonkey; my views on Liverpool are open and well known. Whatever your opinion on them Ive never attempted to ban anyone from expressing their opinions. I guess what goes around can indeed come around but my friend [shes from Leeds, btw] has done nothing wrong. By your replies do I take it you agree with her being banned just for being a woman and [gasp] mixed-race? You can think what you like about me but Im here supporting her. Do you approve of whats happened to her? Calling for a boycott is a bit superfluous really but something has to be said, dont you think. Thanks to all those who have expressed support.

Actually it wasn't your view on Liverpool that unduly concerned me........
This discussion has been closed.