Extras

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
Forum Member
Rewatched all 13 episodes of Extras over the last three weeks on Netflix. I cant believe the first series aired eight years ago and the final feature length Christmas special was six years ago. I really liked this series and enjoyed it again this time. Some of the humour was very cringeworthy and quite cruel. The David Bowie song lampooning Andy in the nightclub was particularly cruel. Reminded me of a school bully picking on the fat kid and making him look stupid in front of his classmates.

What really fascinates me about this series was how on earth Gervais and Merchant persuaded all these big stars to sign up for this and in some cases make them look like complete arseholes! How did they wrIte the scripts for a start? Take the Ben Stiller episode. They couldnt have written that assuming Ben Stiller would be happy to take part. Did they ask him first before writing it? Not everyone would be happy to have themselves sent up like this. I wonder who turned it down.

The second series was quite interesting with Andy becoming a sitcom star but hating the way his show was turned into a catchphrase ridden dumbed down sitcom. Did you actually want to see a whole episode? Would have interesting if they had of made one episode of When The Whistle Blows and actually aired it!

The final Christmas episode was very good. Andy forgetting about his best friend and treating her like dirt until he enters Big Brother and relaises what a prat he has become. Then that big speech and suddenly his agent wanted to know him again.

All in all an enjoyable series. Probably best to end it when it did but in a way I would like to have seen more episodes. So what do others think? Which episodes are your favourites?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    The David Bowie song was hilarious. I also liked the episode with Chris Martin desperately trying to plug Coldplay's new album when doing the advert for the charity.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one with Les Dennis... I can't stand him as an actor or a comedian, but what a great sport he was to allow his personal problems to be resurrected and made fun of.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the David Bowie song.
    As I watched it, I was thinking "How dare he ! Who does he think he is ?? What gives him the right to publicly humiliate a member of the general public like that. What an absolute c**t."
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    It still doesn't beat The Office, but it comes very close. It's hard to pick the best star who wasn't afraid to send themselves up ... Patrick Stewart (obsessed with nudity), Daniel Radcliffe (unconvincing lady-killer), Ross Kemp (wimp), Kate Winslet (dirty mind).

The only thing that spoilt it for me was the casting of Shaun Pye (who is largely a writer) as Millman's rival. He was fine as a bitter extra, but when they tried to reinvent him as a successful actor he hadn't the presence to pull it off.

Shame that "Life's Too Short" was so awful. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I have a soft spot for "Derek" but they do slap on the pathos a little too sloppily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kate Winslet one was hilarious. And the one with Sir Ian McKellen
    I agree about LTS - it felt like a load of rejected ideas from Extras cobbled into a new series. Johnny Depp was magical though.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great series. Favourite episode was probably the Ross Kemp one. Not a Soap fan, but always had a soft spot for him after his performance here.

"Super Army Soldier." :D
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The David Bowie song was hilarious. I also liked the episode with Chris Martin desperately trying to plug Coldplay's new album when doing the advert for the charity.

My favourite as well Domenica. This was the episode with the Bafta awards with Ronnie Corbett and Moira Stuart. Corbett was brilliant in this episode.

From series one my favourite was definitely the Kate Winslett episode.

On the whole I thought series 2 was superior to series 1. The final episode was likewise excellent.

Unlike other posters I actually did like Life's Too Short though it lacked the originality of The Office and Extras.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiveinabed wrote: »
    The Kate Winslet one was hilarious. And the one with Sir Ian McKellen
    I agree about LTS - it felt like a load of rejected ideas from Extras cobbled into a new series. Johnny Depp was magical though.

Kate Winslet was my favourite episode. I thought she was fantastic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an interview with Ricky Gervais where he said that they were panicking between filming the episode and it being shown on TV, because a crucial part of the plot was that she had never won an Oscar - and the Oscars were due before the show-date, and if she'd won one, the storyline wouldn't have worked... so they were willing her *not* to win, haha.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently saw this on Dave or UK GOLD or whaterver, and forgot how good this was! Has infinitely more rewatch value than the Office because i find this to be less cringeworthy.

the first series had the best cameos in it.

Patrick Stewart - obsession with ladies boobs . 'Too late, ive seen it all!'
    Kate Winslett - advising Maggie about the phone sex, and the 'guaranteed Oscar' LOL
    Ian Mackellan - the dialogue with him explaining about how he gets in character is hilarious.
    Orlando Bloom - hit with the ladies, hates Johnny Depp :)
    and dont forget Clive Owen (i think??) roughing Maggie up a bit :)
    De Niro and the pen was good but other cameos were better

Barry from Eastenders - surprised he agreed to this, sending himself up as he's always typecast in this role and to the best of my knowledge hasnt really starred in anything else on screen?

This is one of my favourite non-celeb scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZ1_2gNcsM

Darren Lamb - Player!
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I hated the David Bowie song.
    As I watched it, I was thinking "How dare he ! Who does he think he is ?? What gives him the right to publicly humiliate a member of the general public like that. What an absolute c**t."

I thought that too. Andy bought a lot of things on himself but he really didn't deserve that. I know the point of it was in the end he was better off down the local pub with the real fans who he thought were beneath him. To add insult to injury even Darren the agent and "Barry from Eastenders" who were meant to be his friends were singing and dancing along to Bowie too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the bit with the Ian McKellan episode where Andy was trying to back away from his "boyfriend" and then felt McKellans hand on the back of his head stopping him ! :D
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite is where Ricky goes on a date and ends up in a catholic meeting. Very funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    My favourite is where Ricky goes on a date and ends up in a catholic meeting. Very funny.

It was brilliant when the camera panned along the seats, and there was Andy in his Saturday Night Fever white suit ! :D
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched a few episodes during the show's original run but rewatched it recently on Dave and thought it was really good.
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Kate Winslett[...]and the 'guaranteed Oscar' LOL

The best thing about that is, as has often been noted, Kate did go on to win an Oscar for a film about the Holocaust.
  • jalfrezijalfrezi Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Extras - much more than The Office - and have them all on DVD. Its hard to pick a favourite but, as no one has mentioned it, I really enjoyed the Christmas Special finale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes - his speech to the CBB camera was so moving I had a real lump in my throat. Great writing, great acting, and great characterisation in perfect harmony. Brilliant.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love the episode where that lonely man tries to befriend him. and andy puts his face in the soup
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First series, excellent.

Second and special, not so much. Relied far too much on Maggie doing something unbelievable stupid to drive the plot, and the cameos just weren't as funny (McKellern apart). It just got plain lazy. The whole business about Milman being terrified to portray a homosexual in the play was just rubbish.

And the speech at the end of the special was nothing that hadn't already been said loads of times before, but in typical Gervais fashion he seems to think he unveiling some great wisdom to a stunned world.