50,000 face eviction following the Coalition's 'Bedroom Tax'

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
More than 50,000 people affected by the so-called bedroom tax have fallen behind on rent and face eviction, figures given to The Independent show.

The statistics reveal the scale of debt created by the Government’s under-occupancy charge, as one council house tenant in three has been pushed into rent arrears since it was introduced in April.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/exclusive-bedroom-tax--now-50000-people-are-facing-eviction-8825074.html

How do you like them apples?

Comments

• tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tip of the iceberg I fear, it's going to be a horrible Christmas for many households this year when the evictions really kick in.

In before the inevitable "it's not a tax" comments that normally generate around this issue.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Does sound pretty dire for some people.

I know how they feel. When my daughter left home, I was no longer entitled to a three bed but there weren't any two bed HA houses available that were suitable for my circumstances. I have to rent privately and I get enough HB to cover a two bed. I pay over two hundred pounds a month excess. I don't have a choice.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

What annoys me most is people vote for this crap, and support it.
  • crazybeatscrazybeats Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I hope it pushes them over the edge and we can rebel as one. Lets bring down this government and royal family to it's knees. No more will we be pushed around!

Oh who am I kidding. Me saying that wont work.

I'll tell you what will work though, thousands of Mums and Dads unable to feed their kids, unable to feed themelves. Oh yeah. I can see a lot of anger and desparate people coming in these coming months. By the time Christmas is over this country is gonna be a very different place. But it's for the best. It will get messy.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    crazybeats wrote: »
    I hope it pushes them over the edge and we can rebel as one. Lets bring down this government and royal family to it's knees. No more will we be pushed around!

Oh who am I kidding. Me saying that wont work.

I'll tell you what will work though, thousands of Mums and Dads unable to feed their kids, unable to feed themelves. Oh yeah. I can see a lot of anger and desparate people coming in these coming months. By the time Christmas is over this country is gonna be a very different place. But it's for the best. It will get messy.

If only that would happen. Unfortunately the country is in dire need of another revolution, 350 years after the last one.

The current government is beneath contempt, something that applies to the much of the political class in general.
    Forum Member

I wonder if anyone on here will admit to voting for the Con/Dems in the last election. I used to vote Liberal but haven't for the last two elections. I'll never even consider voting for them again.

The government is almost entirely evil.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will get far worse. Theirs a minimum of another 19 months of it cos I can't see the Tories backing down on one of their most ideological policies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never underestimate propaganda and the media when it comes to twisting what people think. Painting untruths, lies and fallacies around council housing tenants (this affects all social tenants) as workshy scroungers who don't want to work, living in large homes at the taxpayers expense, wasting benefits on "****", "booze" and "Sky subscriptions" whilst "deserving" "hard working families" struggle in inhumane B&B accommodation.
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    It will get far worse. Theirs a minimum of another 19 months of it cos I can't see the Tories backing down on one of their most ideological policies.

Well "we're all in this together".

Look, you can even buy a Tory poster, so it must be true!

http://shop.conservatives.com/product97024/were-all-in-this-together-poster.aspx

Oh how those peasants must've celebrated during the French Revolution as their hated political figures were dragged on tumbrels to the Place de la Concorde.
  • DanielRadcliffeDanielRadcliffe Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I wonder if anyone on here will admit to voting for the Con/Dems in the last election. I used to vote Liberal but haven't for the last two elections. I'll never even consider voting for them again.

Which is one of the reasons why I am glad that in the UK, it isn't mandatory to vote like it is in say Australia for example! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    If they're prepared, mostly via the proxy of the right wing tabloids, to smear and discredit a UN inspector in order to protect their precious "under occupancy penalty", don't expect anything less than a complete collapse of the Government and immediate General Election to bring about any change to or reversal in part of, never mind the end of, this immoral and inhumane policy.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted Lib Dem, never again not like it mattered Frank Field will always win round here anyway.

I think the mood over this tax is getting worse and worse and all these articles aren't helping and could lead to huge riots. They are not welcome not in its current form anyway and the government just reel off the same excuses when what's really needed is an extensive council house building scheme which could help boost the economy too.
    Forum Member
    Which is one of the reasons why I am glad that in the UK, it isn't mandatory to vote like it is in say Australia for example! :eek:

I think it should be mandatory though, or the 'act of voting' should be mandatory even if you just go in and smear excrement on the ballot paper.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God how depressing. It's become crystal clear by now that all these people the Tories would like to magically force into one bed flats effectively have nowhere to go, as those one bed flats are NOT there. The supply is simply not there.

And what is this achieving in financial terms? Absolutely nothing. This has got to be one of the most evil, useless taxes ever invented in this country. Urgh.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Lets get things in perspective .

These people have to come up with £12 quid or £6 quid between two them per week, AKA chump change.

I we really supposed to believe that is the difference between destitution or missing out on their copy of the Guardian each day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »

These people have to come up with £12 quid or £6 quid between two them per week, AKA chump change.

I we really supposed to believe that is the difference between destitution or missing out on their copy of the Guardian each day.
    £12 a week from someone who also has to fund Council Tax as of April, increasing bills, public transport costs and cuts elsewhere is not small change to someone on JSA or a low wage. Particularly as the vast majority of new, recent housing benefit claimants have at least one person in work.
  • gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well lets face it, no-one voted for this lot, it was either one of 3, Clegg went with Cameron. However, I doubt many support this, to make 50,000 homeless is beyond heartless. I can see that this country needs more housing, that is down to the amount of immigrants that have been allowed into the country, the government needs to start with that, not going after elderly people who have brought up their families in a family home, they didn't ask for the influx of immigrants, if they want people out of their home, then offer them somewhere appropriate, but that isn't happening.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its just another unnecessary expense in an ever increasing world where more and more people have to decide whether to heat or eat.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then why aren't councils getting on to the government ..... the ones who ACTUALLY CUT THE AMOUNT PAYABLE?????

oh i know ..... they're just as PATHETIC, LAZY AND CRIMINAL AS THEY ARE :mad:
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your post shows quite some ignorance regarding people living in poverty, especially the elderly. I could introduce you to a guy in his 80s (aggravated burglary victim) who almost begged me for SOCO to give back his coat. His only coat, although he was quite reluctant and ashamed to admit he was too poor to get another coat. Not a Guardian reader, and he didn't smoke or drink either. Shocking lack of DM cliches altogether I'm afraid.

In fact, I could introduce you to a fair amount of people who have to turn every penny before they spend it. Don't be so bloody ignorant.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest surprise is that the adjustments have actually been successfully implemented and made. Benefits systems are considerably less than perfect under any government, as my mum knows full well from the amount of years she was destitute whilst the last lot were in.
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    then why aren't councils getting on to the government ..... the ones who ACTUALLY CUT THE AMOUNT PAYABLE?????

oh i know ..... they're just as PATHETIC, LAZY AND CRIMINAL AS THEY ARE :mad:

AFAIK councils have been telling the government that they don't have the housing to move people into. People essentially have nowhere to go but they're being deducted the money anyway. The reason the Poll Tax caused such uproar was because it affected everyone, particularly Middle England. Unfortunately for those affected by the bedroom tax most people don't give a **** about benefit 'scroungers' anyway.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

Never voted for either because a) It's the Tory party and b) Lib Dems were never going to win a majority in the first place. To me, all three parties are a cut from the same cloth.

Evictions have already started near my local workplace. A man who had been in and out of the hospital and too ill to work was handed rent arrears a few weeks ago. There are plenty who I see everyday live on the streets, now I'm not sure if that is because of drug abuse or homelessness.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    God how depressing. It's become crystal clear by now that all these people the Tories would like to magically force into one bed flats effectively have nowhere to go, as those one bed flats are NOT there. The supply is simply not there.

And what is this achieving in financial terms? Absolutely nothing. This has got to be one of the most evil, useless taxes ever invented in this country. Urgh.

It's NOT a tax:rolleyes:

It's a reduction in the benefits which they receive from taxpayers.
    Forum Member
    Never voted for either because a) It's the Tory party and b) Lib Dems were never going to win a majority in the first place. To me, all three parties are a cut from the same cloth.

Evictions have already started near my local workplace. A man who had been in and out of the hospital and too ill to work was handed rent arrears a few weeks ago. There are plenty who I see everyday live on the streets, now I'm not sure if that is because of drug abuse or homelessness.

Yes, this is a sad truth. It's what makes me despair for this country and for our political system.